Hey Brits, if "Shag" is a dirty word....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy_S, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

...then is Scooby Doo censored in the UK? Or is it not shown at all?

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

There's a difference between shag & shaggy.

Shaggy suggest long thick hair.

Shag can either mean sex or a type of carpet.

And no, Scooby Doo isn't censored when it's shown in the UK.

This reminds me of a mate from the USA who once asked me, being serious, if they subtitled USA films in the UK.

3. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Brian, what about in Welsh movie theaters? Maybe that's what he meant. [​IMG]

4. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob

5. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

Lock Stock and two smoking barrels is HARD to understand. It's interesting that for the english inventing the language, they MASSACRE it regularly.

6. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Our house was built in 1979 and the carpet in my room still needs to be replaced..

It's Ugly, green, and worst of all: Shag..

When I tell m friends that, they laugh their heads off!

Nathan

9. Maurice McCone

Maurice McCone Stunt Coordinator

sorry just spotted this thread...I love the differences in our 'common' language.
    I believe that the second Austin Powers film was censored on posters in the UK; with the key word presented thus - The Spy Who S*****D Me ! so I suppose we were a bit sensitive to this.
    Married with Children is shown prime time here and Peggy's surname 'Wanker' does get a titter or two (can I say titter?).
    It must be similar when American friends hear that some of my work colleagues regularly slip out for a fag, they even have a special room for them so they don't contaminate the rest of us with secondary fag usage.
    Also you may be aware that 'slapping someone on the Fanny', is a much more serious offence in the UK !
    British audiences also loved watching the recent film Double Jeapordy, with Ashley Judd. The whole cinema fell about in hysterics whenever they refered to the villian of the movie whose name was 'Nicolas Parsons'.
    To British ears this is the name of a much loved and very gentle soul who presents chat shows and quiz shows in Britain. It would be a bit like the bad guy in Silence of the Lambs being called Regis Philbin.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. andrew markworthy

Shag is also the name of a type of sea bird and a type of tobacco (a sub-type is known as 'rough shag' which leads to endless very obvious jokes). Strange how a word with so many innocent meanings can have acquired a rude meaning as well.

Scooby Doo is shown with depressing regularity on our version of the Cartoon Newtwork; my kids insist on watching it every morning. Boy are we looking forward to the upcoming all-day Scooby Doo marathon.

'Carpet munching' is not a particularly well-known piece of slang over here (and yes, I do know what it means). More naive people would think you were referring to a completely over the top loss of temper ('so cross he was chewing the carpet' is a relatively common phrase over here at least).

Bergan, if you think we massacre the English language, you should hear the comments made by experts on grammar, etc, re: American English. In the interest of harmonious international relations, I shall go no further.

11. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

I don't think i've ever thought of shag as a 'rude' word, from a NZ perspective.