Hey Austin Texas Buddies? Can anyone help me out?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Forum Meets' started by mike_frontier, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

I'd imagine it'd kick the crap out of the Barco on video material, especially HD. Now film on the other hand, I am not so sure about. That will be the real test.

2. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

People are getting the Toshiba HD DVD for $363. See here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=693291

In other news, I'm leaving Austin. I got a job in Dallas and I'm getting ready to move next weekend. I'm thinking about possibly getting rid of my Oppo 971 and Da Lite 92" High Contrast Matte White Model B with Constant Screen Return 1.1 gain screen. Send me a PM if you're interested with an offer.

3. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

Well being patient is not my strong suit and I had a 12% off coupon, so I picked up a HD-A1 at Best Buy earlier. I will try to get it hooked up to the Jcv 61" first and possibly update the firmware tonight. Don't know how much playing with it I'll get in since I have the big Golf sale at the shop tomorrow night but when I get a chance I'll post a brief review.

4. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

Count me in on the HD players when they hit $200. Right now there just isn't enough software to make it worth the jump.

5. Humphrey

Humphrey Stunt Coordinator

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

You've gotten a ton of words from Nils on the pro-BluRay side, so I'd like to throw in a bit of balance on the HDDVD side. This article says it pretty well:
    http://projectorcentral.com/blu-ray_2.htm

Starting with Betamax, Sony has continually tried to dominate consumer electronics with their own architecture and they're still at it. Texas Instruments tried, and other companies should have learned the lesson. Remember T.I.'s PC/games? T.I. wanted to sell machines and software and would not share the architecture - no open systems for them. Result: they shut down the business.

7. Mark Hayenga

Betamax was technologically superior too [​IMG]

8. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

All I know is I am ready for more movies. I have only watched 2 so far but its got me to go in and load my all the available hd dvd they offer at Netflix.

9. Ian B

Ian B Stunt Coordinator

10. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

Good to here Ian. Right now I'm just hooked through HDMI straight to my RPTV, but tonight I'm going to plug it into the big system in the theater and watch a little "Blazing Saddles"

Just got back from Las Vegas and I stopped by the Sony Store in Ceasers. They had a Sony Blu-Ray player running in their theater on what I think was a 60" lcd monitor. It was playing a concert clip that looked alright but nothing jumping out at me. They had 1 of the Qudila(sp) projectors hanging in there but didn't have the screen down or running. Also what kinda caught me off guard was that the had no SACD's. They had lots of new cd's of their artist (some even dual disc). When I asked one of their sales reps if they had any SACDs I got a blank stare. I like SACD but it sure seems like it is well on its way out. Even the new Best Buy out here doesn't carry any SACD or dvd-audio.

11. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Sony has pulled all support for SACD, Greg. Well actually they pretty much pulled support since day one, with how poorly of a job they did in introducing it to the market. SACD will probably survive though as the small labels and audiophiles love the format, so it will exist but you will have to go through online audiophile retailers to access the catalogues.

DVD-Audio on the other hand is basically dead in the water, no one likes it, and no one wants it.

Back to Sony and related to Hank's post above, I think Blu-ray is screwed as well, almost before it ever gets off the ground. You know when we went down to Bjorn's for the HD-DVD presentation, I was extremely impressed. Last week I finally went out to a Best Buy and Fry's to see what displays they had set-up for both Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Neither store had an HD-DVD player set-up. Fry's didn't have single HDDVD in the store, and Best Buy had like 7 titles. Not good, but still have hopes for HDDVD based on what I saw at Bjorn's. Blu-ray on the other hand had a poorly set-up Samsung 40" screen playing a collection of clips at Best Buy. It was in brightly lit part of the store, so I couldn't really judge the quality, but it wasn't that good looking as is. Of course an average consumer probably would have never known that there was anything special what so ever about this particular display as there wasn't much distinguishing it from others in the store. Then my greatest dissappointment was at Fry's where they once again didn't have any Blu-ray titles for sale, oh and Best Buy only had like 5 titles in Blu-ray. But the biggest shock was when I asked a sales associate if they had any Blu-ray or HDDVD demo set-ups available. His response was along the lines of "Yeah we have a Blu-ray player, but we aren't advertising it and we plan to not bring any more in." I stated amazement and asked why? He replied because it sucks! So he takes me over to the rear projection DLP Samsung set with the Blu-ray player attached and pops in the House of Flying Daggers Blu-ray disc. OMG, here was a pretty nice TV, with a device connectted that is suppossed to be 1080i or 1080p or something. All around this set they had an HDTV feed that was providing one of those two resolutions for the other TVs. And in Fry's you know they have the lights off in the TV area, so can't blame ambient light. The picture produced on this set-up was one of the worst pictures I had seen in quite some time. I think the quality of the picture probably rivaled a first generation non progressive DVD player. The HDTV feed next to it reminded me exactly of what we saw at Bjorn's from HDDVD. But this Blu-ray picture just stunk. I imagine you could of grabbed a $30 chinese DVD player from the floor and beat the picture of this thing. Horrible! So mix this less than stellar picture quality with a lack of support, a competing "visually superior" product, and the fact that they are reporting an 80% failure rate on Blu-ray drive production and I think you are looking at soemthing that may collapse on itsself within a short amount of time or the other option might be that perhaps Sony just goes bankrupt. That's my prediction, Sony filing Bankruptcy due to the Blu-Ray disaster!

Anyone else see a brighter future for the format?

12. atthegates

atthegates Auditioning

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a pair of B&W DM602's (possibly 603's). I listened to the DM602's at the one local dealer and loved them, but $600 is more than I'm willing to spend on speakers for casual record playing.

Anyways, I've seen some good deals on EBay but prefer to deal locally, if you or anyone you know is thinking about upgrading or just getting rid of some 602's, let me know.

13. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

John, your best bets for used 602's locally would be audiogon or to call around to the high end stores and see if anyone took in a pair on trade.

Scott, I'm really surprised at the Fry's experience. I haven't seen Blu-Ray in a store yet, but speaking from a purely technical viewpoint, I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference between the two formats if they were setup side by side showing the same movie with the same mastering. I think something was awry in the Fry's setup or the player was a lemon.

14. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Jonathan, read my linked article, which talks about the codec used in blu-ray, which may be temporary. Also there's the rumor that there's a firmware error in the first BR players and that an upgrade is on the way. I don't know about the credibility of the rumor, but obviously something is wrong.

BTW, I sent you an e-mail via this forum at noon today regarding Chinese tube amps.

15. atthegates

atthegates Auditioning

16. Mark Hayenga

Audio Systems on Keonig is a good place to look.

17. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

Hank,

If you see this message, could you elaborate please? Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention lately, but what is this all about?

18. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

19. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

Am I the only one on here now?

20. Humphrey

Humphrey Stunt Coordinator

don't forget the ... chirpping crickets... [​IMG]

It is slow...