What's new

Hey Austin Texas Buddies? Can anyone help me out? (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Nothing negative about Toshiba, just pointing out actual facts and addressing some of the FUD about both HD video formats and the response HD DVD it is getting in the marketplace... which is of course going to be the final deciding factor on how well either format will do in the long run.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I continue to futily attempt to get my Austin HT friends to attend my Austin Symphonic Band (http://www.asband.org) concerts, so please consider our Fathers Day concert at Zilker Park Hillside Theater this Sunday evening at 7:30. The admission price is spot on for this group: FREE! And, honestly, we are one of the best symphonic bands in the nation.
Thanks.

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Hey Hank. I'm thinking of trying to build some power cords. Any recomendations on what I should get cable and connector wise.
Oh the DIY speakers got pushed back. I got a smoking deal on some Martin Logans. Got to save up again.

Greg

Jay.H

Stunt Coordinator
Hank,
FYI. I tried the asband.com link you provided. It appears that domain is for sale.

Jay

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Greg: Yes I do - no numbers in front of me now, but I'll get 'em to you. Belden silver-plated copper with teflon insulation per conductor and overall teflon. Marinco female and Hubbell male are good enough in my book. Maybe Tubes could tell the difference between a Hubbell and a $100 gold-plated male plug, but I can't.
Glad you got a good deal on the speakers, but when you're ready to sell them and have me do the dipoles, let me know and we'll pick some cool "different" veneer for them.

Jay: Sorry, I'm so used to using .com - it's .org (we're a non-profit):
http://www.asband.org

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Heads-Up:

Ronald Epstein, co-owner of HTF has started a thread for people to request three titles they would like to see made available in HD from each of the major studios. HTF will compile these requests and submit them directly to the heads of each studio's home video department. In the past, HTF has helped influence some of their decision making, so if you have any requests this is a good time to make them. Keep in mind, no requests for Star Wars is allowed, considering Fox has absolutely no control over its release, and simply distributes whatever Lucasfilm gives them.

Here is the thread:

VOTE! Let the studios know what YOU want released on HD-DVD/BLU-RAY in the next year

Here were my top picks:

HD DVD

Universal
  • Amelie
  • Jurassic Park
  • Schindler's List

HD DVD & Blu-ray

Warner
  • Blade Runner
  • Hamlet (1996)
  • V for Vendetta
New Line
  • Lord of the Rings
  • Se7en
  • Dark City
Paramount
  • The Godfather Trilogy
  • Once Upon a Time in the West
  • Braveheart
DreamWorks
  • Gladiator
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • AI: Artificial Intelligence

Blu-ray

Sony
  • Lawrence of Arabia
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • Gandhi
Fox
  • Moulin Rouge!
  • Fight Club
  • Edward Scissorhands
MGM
  • The Terminator
  • Jean De Florette/ Manon Of The Spring
  • The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
Lion's Gate
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  • The Red Violin
  • The Lord of War
Disney
  • Lion King
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Fantasia
Buena Vista
  • Spirited Away
  • Unbreakable
  • Tombstone
Touchstone
  • Hildalgo
  • Reign of Fire
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas
Miramax
  • Kill Bill
  • Sin City
  • Pulp Fiction
Pixar
  • Toy Story
  • The Incredibles
  • Finding Nemo

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Hey Austin Texas Buddies? Can anyone help me out?

I'm looking for some land to do some shooting on. Shotgun ONLY, so we don't need miles of space around us. 12 gauge, birdshot through 00 buck. We'll be turning my failed subwoofer box into buckshot fodder, so we'll pick up whatever mess we make. I plan on making a picture documentary, but if anyone wants to watch you're welcome (I can't volunteer to let you shoot b/c it's not my gun, so you will have to ask the owner). I'm pretty sure he'd be amenable to letting the landowner partake out of gratitude, but still need to ask the gun owner to be sure.

Thanks!

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Also, I have made a request over at Outlaw Audio's Saloon forum regarding their RR2150 two-channel receiver. The link is at:

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/cgi-local.../t/000098.html

I feel very strongly about this, and would appreciate it if any of you guys would go register and "chime in" in concurrence with my post, even if you are not interested in the product. I truly feel this will improve their product and it would help my cause if a few other people could pipe in and give their support for my post. I also mentioned one issue which Jonathan has raised about this product which may be easily correctable.

This is a very important time to do this, as they are changing manufacturing facilities for this one product and it's the best time for them to implement any changes before ramping up tooling and production again. I *really* want one of these receivers but can't buy one with what I consider a serious design flaw. Please help a brotha out and I'll be sure to return the favor in spades.

Thanks guys,

Mark

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I have family farm land in Rising Star, up 183, 27 miles norht of Brownwood, but that's a long trek for people around here, and especially you folks from Southeast of here. I hope you can find something convenient.

You may know that I am extremely pleased with my Outlaw pre/pro. I like their business model. If they were in the traditional paradigm, it would cost $3,000 and be one of the darlings of the snooty elites.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Gregg: sorry to be so slow in replying. For wire, I bought Belden 83802 (2 conductor, 12-guage stranded, shielded, teflon insulation). I think I bought it from Apex Jr.
VH Audio has some good-looking power cord wire, shielded and unshielded, cryo treated:
http://www.vhaudio.com/wire.html Also, check out their DIY power cord instructions.
15-amp male plug:
I bought Leviton 8215C Nylon Hospital Grade from Dealers Electric in Austin. In July '02 they were $5.15 each.
Wattgate basic plug from VH Audio, 5266i $12.99 each, 5266i CRYO $15.99 each (how many cryogenically-treated audio parts do you have that cost that little?).
http://www.vhaudio.com/connectors-ac.html
I also bought a couple of right-angle Bryant 52952 nylon plugs at either Home Depot or Lowe's.
Hubbell makes a good one also. You can find it on the 'net or at local electrical supplies.

15-amp female IEC connector:
Marinco 320IEC15, Parts Express # 110-400 $17.50. Probably several 'net sources for it.
Wattgate basic IEC, #320, $19.99 and #320 CRYO, $22.99 at VH Audio.

I have three partially-finished cords here, two with straight male plugs and one with a right-angle male plug. The opposite ends are not terminated - I don't have any IEC femal connectors on-hand. If you want to go in together and order some IEC's, I'll put one on one of these cords, and you can try it out.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Does anyone want a nice pair of dress shoes? My brother bought some size 11.5 Kenneth Cole's and wore them for a few weeks, but they were just a smidge too small. Shiny black leather, cap toe. They are in great shape, I have pics on the web if anyone is interested. If not they go to eBay.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Holy cow! I just got my Slappa 80 camel series hardbody CD case. These things are awesome! If anyone is in need of CD storage, I highly recommend them. They are having a 10% off sale right now and there is another discount if you are a member of the Home Theater Talk forum (gotta be a member there to find out the code). This is the nicest case I could have imagined for $25 delivered. Very impressed. The camel suede is cool looking, feels good and looks durable too (it's not a fabric, it's more like a textured plastic or something). Good stuff. Very swank.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Is anyone around central Austin during the work week? (Riverside area). I have a favor I need to ask. Thanks!

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Hey guys. Anybody broke down and picked up a HD-dvd or Blu-ray player yet? I'm leaning toward Hd-dvd since I will get a PS3 later. The Best Buy displays just don't float my boat but thats not surprising.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Nope, I'm waiting till they get the bugs, and the price of the players start to drop and/or there is a way to play them over my HTPC. So far, I'm unimpressed by the launch of either format. The image quality, however, is awesome.

Speaking of awesome, my IN76 just arrived! Now I have to get it hooked up to the HTPC and we'll see how much better HDTV looks over it vs ye ol Barco that could only resolve about 550 lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks