What's new

Hey Austin Texas Buddies? Can anyone help me out? (1 Viewer)

James Phung

Second Unit
I believe SD is a little bit faster than MMC, and it seems to be used more widely than MMC (in most cases, the device supports both formats). You can get an SD card anywhere like at fry's, bestbuy, compusa, circuitcity, or costco.. I'm pretty sure they have sandisk SD memory at Costco for around $75. I'd probably get it from costco...b/c it's costco. :)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
BTW: Just came from the HEB @ Four Corners...

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Despite the fact that Rita's projected path has moved away from Austin and is headed close to the Louisiana border, many here in Austin appear to be in panic mode. Not only was every single cart taken, but also the store was absolutely jam packed with people. I asked a couple near the front how long they had been waiting in line and they both said over two hours...

The line at the gas station wasn't much better, with several people filling spare gas containers. I'm all for being well prepared, but it does seem like many are taking rather extreme precautions... or possibly I am not taking enough? :frowning:

James Phung

Second Unit
I got friends/family coming into austin from houston today (6 to 12 hour drive i hear). I went to HEB last night and the water was all gone. While I was shopping, they came out with more water so I got lucky. :) I went to costco yesterday evening to get gas (prices expected to go up soon), and I had to wait about 15 minutes in line for gas. I almost missed the season premiere of Lost. :)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
A lot of people do seem to have gone loony about the hurricane threat on Austin. They are acting like a CAT-3 or higher storm is about to hit Austin directly. The bottled water started selling out a lot of places yesterday. Now the weather forecast predicts only a 30% chance of rain and more 95-degree heat on Saturday.

The only way these people need that much bottled water is if they're going to work outside all day on Saturday...

Dave Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, this is nuts. People in Austin are acting as if we live on the coast below sea level (like Nawlins) and we're going to be flooded and on our own for 5 days. Calm down people, the worst thing we might see is a few inches of rain and some gusty wind. That happens 10 times a year!

Now it looks like we'll have a nice hot sunny weekend! And here I thought I'd have to leave the boat tied up all weekend! Now it looks like we may be able to use it.

Anything is better than fighting through the 500,000 additional residents we have this weekend.

Just for kicks I turned the boost down on the evo and managed to get 26mpg mixed last tank! And the Lotus gets 33mpg, more if I don't rev it to 8500rpm all the time. I feel bad for all the gas sucking SUV drivers who spend $80 a tank (well, no, actually I don't feel bad for them).

-Dave

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually embarrased for Austin residents. The REAL hurricane victims could use the food and water that wacky Austinites are hoarding:frowning:

Humphrey

Stunt Coordinator
I actually went into HEB a few nights ago (2am) and there was not a single bread product left on the shelves and a lot of canned food was gone as well.

Fraqqing lemmings!

Dave Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Nils,

My trigger finger hovered precariously over the mouse button for a few minutes when I saw that pre/pro. But I decided the only reason to upgrade would be for HDMI or DVI switching, and if I were to go that route I might instead splurge for the new Denon 3806 or perhaps the Outlaw 990 pre/pro.

Fortunately for my bank account, the moment passed without incident. :)

Tempting though.

-Dave

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
That's a hell of a deal, and I don't consider the lack of HDMI and issue considering that the format is constantly in flux. I can't find anything wrong with the unit to be concerned about. I'm guessing they bought a retailer's going out of business stock and that's how they ended up with the great price.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Looks like quite a few agreed and bought extras to sell on the auction sites for a handsome profit.

Someone is listing one on Audiogon for and opening bid of $2,390. :eek:

At least on eBay they aren't asking so much. Looks like a couple have a $1,600 Buy-It-Now price. Even at that price, if they bought two it meant they got one for free. Now I wish I hadn't talked myself out of it. :frowning:

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Hang in there Nils, I bet they'll come around again on Woot just like the InFocus 4805s do. Every time one of those pop up I'm so tempted to buy one. I don't know what I'd do with it, it's just a cool little projector.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Someone is listing one on Audiogon for and opening bid of $2,390.
I just checked Audiogone and the end result is: NO BIDS. Looks like no one fell for the rip off. Oh well you never know; as P.T. Barnum said: "There's a sucker born every..." But, I digress. I've only checked WOOT a couple of times. So, items reappear?

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I just checked Audiogone and the end result is: NO BIDS. Looks like no one fell for the rip off.
Well locally, I found two dealers and both wouldn't budge from an asking price of $3,000. Only after the WOOT deal went through were these selling anywhere under $3,000 so you can't blame the guy on Audiogon for trying. A lot of wooters just buy stuff to sell on eBay, and looks like a lot jumped at the FAP T+. The first weeks a few sold for as high as $1,800 on eBay, but now they seem to be getting about $1,200 for them.

Speaking of eBay, checkout this listing that just got bought for $4,000:

Fosgate FAVP-1 Tube Multi-channel Preamp Processor

Not a bad deal for a $13,000 piece of equipment. There are some really nice pics near the bottom of the listing which you can also enlarge. Have no clue to the quality, but what a great looking piece of electronics!

Oh, and before I forget, that gorgeous ultra thin 61" DLP RPTV from InFocus, 61MD10, is back up today and $500 less, but without the rebate. I finally saw this model in person at A&B TV and was extremely impressed! They wanted $6,000 for it, so I told them about the WOOT price and they didn't believe me. :)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
LG has responded to the recent popularity of owners of projectors who don't want to mount them from the ceiling or between them and the screen by designing a projector with a reflective lens that allows it to be less than 4" thick:

This design would allow you to hang it on the wall without needing a shelf, or without protruding from the wall. In addition to the ergonomics, it comes with a +/- 125% vertical lens shift; 4-way digital keystone correction; motorized 1.4x zoom and focus; 1100 ANSI lumens; 3000:1 CR; 4,000-6,000 hr lamp life; 25db operating noise level, and weighs only 4lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks