What's new

Hey Austin Texas Buddies? Can anyone help me out? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Humphrey,

Can you try something for me? On your Oppo, can you hook a DVI-I to VGA adapter to it and see if it will output a VGA signal over the DVI port? Nothing in its specs or manual mention this ability, but I can't figure out why they would use a DVI-I connection if it weren't putting out some sort of analog signal. Given all the pains I'm having in the HTPC department lately, I'd be willing to shell out the $200 for a DVD player if I could get an upscaled VGA signal out of it. The Momitsu V880 does this, but I liked the Oppo's picture better.

Humphrey

Stunt Coordinator
I could if I had a DVI-I to VGA adapter to try it with. I wonder if my G5 DVI to VGA adapter will do the trick. I'll pull it apart when the opportunity presents itself. Right now I'm kinda using it for this message. :)If not, do you have one?

Humphrey

Stunt Coordinator
Ok Jonathan, I tried it out. My G5 uses a DVI-D to VGA adapter on it after all. So I hooked it up to the Oppo and fed the VGA signal into the AE700.... NADA, Zilch, nuthing.

Have you tried emailing or calling Oppo about this? See if it would be possible or if they have something in the works.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Hey Doc, I just came across this deal for a Optoma H79.

At only $4,424.99 I assumed this would have to be for 'B' stock units, but the listing does say "Brand New!". I did a froogle search and found a few sites offering H79's for about $5,000, but most retailers are selling them for about $8,000.

The lowest price I could find for the InFocus 7210 was $4,900 with a few sites offering it for under $5,500.

This may cause other retailers to drop their prices, which in turn should put pressure on BenQ to drop their price of the PE8720.

I would not be surprised if we see some DC3 chip projector prices under $4,000 by CEDIA.

Arnaud L

Auditioning
Hello guys,

I have been lurking around for a while...
I am also looking to buy an H79.
(And so is a friend of mine)

The best deal, in stock from an online place is at butterfly photo . com

Digital Craze has very bad ratings...
Just FYI.

I currently own a NEC PG9+ in great shape that I am selling.
(and 2 GREAT marquee 9500LC for anybody interested)

I would like to see the H79 in action before I commit to buy it. Anybody in town has it?
I am wondering if the quality will equal the NEC.
We went to Home Theater store on Burnet on Saturday and demoed the Ivision dlp. I brought my laptop and we checked some HD material. It was really good. I am wondering how the H79 would compare.

Arnaud

Arnaud L

Auditioning
$4450 shipped to Austin from that place I mentioned.
Just called them, they have it in stock and the units are new.

Jut FYI.

Arnaud

PS: I am not affiliated with this place and never ordered anything from them, so make sure that they are reliable before ordering anything IMHO.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Arnaud,

Thanks for the heads-up. $4,450 is a great price! I never heard of Digital Craze before, but Butterfly Photo has been around for years and I too have heard good things about them.

I'm surprised they are selling it for so much less than the InFocus 7210 - which they have listed at $5,769.

I called them to find out what their pricing will be on the BenQ 8720 and they said they wont know, or want tell until the units arrive which is supposed to be in the next 2-3 weeks.

Arnaud L

Auditioning
Nils,

I also was surprised by the great price from Digital C.
I then read the couple of reviews that they had on resellerratings and decided against buying there.

Butterlyphoto seems to be decent.
There are some H79 on ebay for sale as well.
They seem to be decent and some even have a site with good ratings on reselleratings.

Maybe a group buy is going to be in order, as soon as I can sell the marquees 9500 and the nec 9pg+ :)

Anybody around Austin that has a H79 for demo?

Arnaud

Arnaud L

Auditioning
James,

Good question about the warranty.
I just called Optoma and talked to Thomas in Technical support.
He said that as long as we purchase the unit as a NEW unit, therefore not a demo/used unit, the full warranty will be honored, no matter where it is purchased.

Sounds about right to me.
Of course, this was a phone call only.
A better way to have an "official" answer might be to email their sales dpt and wait for the "written" answer that would, hopefully, state the same thing.

Arnaud

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
If DC3 projectors are dropping that fast, maybe HD2+ projectors will be down to $1800 or so by the time I buy next year.

Humphrey, thanks for the checking on the Oppo's DVI output. I guess I'll wipe windoze out and start fresh. Why does that always end up being the ultimate solution? :angry: Where's the good HTPC software for Mac OS so I can switch?

Humphrey

Stunt Coordinator
I bought one Nils. Cheap enough to work in the front setup until I can get a better one. Speakers and a new HD projector are going to be the big things so I went inexpensive here for now. I still have drapes and other room treatments to come up with for the projector room.

Should be here tomorrow or Friday I guess. If it's just not what I expect I'll fleaBay it.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
James Phung wrote:
Hi James. I had several important meetings to attend and we showed some product prototype in our hotel suite (got great reactions), so I had about 2 hours total to walk the show floor :frowning: - very disappointing. So, I didn't see that screen.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Humphrey wrote:
I also picked up one of those mounts, and it is really solid.

The ebay listing posted ended the first week of May. Here is the link to the Net Mounts ebay store, the current seller of these universal mounts. There are also listings for specific PJ brands from the same seller under a different store name, Bracketology Mounts.

I don't know if the seller changed names, sold the design, or is now selling through a distributor, but they claim to be the manufacturer. The price is right, though. Looking at the completed items, I think you could still get the universal mount for

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Scott Oliver wrote:
Nils, are you still looking around for a new processor?
I can't find the thread were you asked for sugesstions so I can't check your original qualifications, but I think their is a new processor being released now that would fit them all.

Arcam DiVA AVP700
And it is suppossed to retail for about $2000ish
Audio Systems on Koenig is the local Arcam dealer.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Does anyone have a suggestion for a shop in Austin to repair my LD player?

Thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks