What's new

Hey Argento fans, need help with Opera!!! (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Normally, I'm one of the very few people who defends the Italian horror master Dario Argento. Sure his stories are rather silly, and the plots are questionable at best. But no one can question how cool the gore scenes are and how scary he films certain moments. So far, I've seen Suspiria, Phenomenon (I don't know how old Jennifer Connelly was in this movie, but damn was she hot), Tenebre, Deep Red, and finally to the film of discussion, Opera.
I almost bought the Limited Edition sight unseen, but I'm glad I didn't. Out of all the Argento horror films, this one I like the least. I have but a few plot and/or story questions.
1. Why didn't she call the police after the first murder?
- As good looking as the girl opera singer is, that's NO EXCUSE for not going to the police after seeing your boyfriend stabbed throught he jaw. I'm not quite sold on the fact that the ending explains her motivations.
2. Why did the end show her among the flowers?
- Really, was Argento trying to be French for a moment here?
3. Why is the seamstress stupid?
- If you've seen the scene, you know what I'm talking about.
4. Why didn't the opera singer get naked?
- just kidding on this one folks :D
5. What was the purpose of her throwing the pillow out of the window?
- She just needed to open the window to distract the killer, but why throw out the pillow as well?
I've got more, but that's all memory allows. Got finals coming up y'know.

Ken_Pro

Grip
I've seen this movie many times and never get tired of it. To anseer your questions:

1. Why didn't she call the police after the first murder?

She does call the police from a pay phone to report the murder, but hangs up before giving her name.

2. Why did the end show her among the flowers?

My interpretation is that she'd gone batty. Weirdly enough, when I saw this at a revival house recently, the movie ended with her saying "He was crazy...just crazy..." and then she walked away. The flower ending got snipped. It wasn't as loony, I suppose, but I did miss it; there wasn't any emotional lift to the ending without it.

3. Why is the seamstress stupid?

If you ask these questions during horror movies, especially those of Mr. Argento, may I suggest a different genre?

4. Why didn't the opera singer get naked?

You mean the full-back nudity wasn't good enough for you?

5. What was the purpose of her throwing the pillow out of the window?

The killer looked down and saw the feathers blowing away, and that clinched the distraction. Like in The Shining when Danny creates fake footprints.

There are questions about this movie that I'd like to have answered:

1. How did the ravens really "remember" who killed the other ravens?

2. How can such a skinny young woman have such a deep singing voice?

3. What is Argento on?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks