What's new

Heston "EARTHQUAKE" (1 Viewer)

There are several versions of the 70's disaster film "Earthquake". Goodtimes video released a non-anamorphic dvd some years ago. The television release had several scenes that was not in its theatrical release.Will Universal come out with a special edition with all the television scenes incorporated into the movie?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Why would anyone want that? Just about all that footage was filler, used to make the movie a TV "event" when it aired (as happened with several other films of that period, like the Heston starrer TWO MINUTE WARNING, a fairly sleazy story that the TV scenes try to make a little more respectable). I can see having those scenes made available as an extra (that no one would watch more than once) but incorporating them into the film is a questionable idea; it's by no means a "director's cut" kind of situation. Anyway, I'd want more of the earthquake, not people on a plane.

GregK

Screenwriter
If Universal follows the same pattern they used with "Midway", the extra television footage will probably be included as deleted scenes. Speaking of- It wouldn't surprise me if the Sensurround featurette found on the Midway DVD is directly ported over to the next Earthquake DVD, as it seemed to cover both films.

walter o

Supporting Actor
the new scenes for TWO MINUTE WARNING is hysterical actually, they changed the plot of the film, so instead of the sniper going on a killing spree, they shot newfootages where they actually brought back the actor who played the sniper, as he is hired by art theives to cause a havoc at the staduim, so it can cause a diversion, so they can steal paintings!!!! And they told the sniper not to kill anyone! And you get a new footage of heston when he hears of the art heist "Damn, this (sniper) must be a diversion for the heist!". And the new footages starred TV vets Joanna Pettet, James Olsen, Rosanno Brzzzi and Paul shenar.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
When these movies (Midway, Earthquake, Two minute Warning) had extra footage shot for expanded TV versions, were they shot spherically or anamorphically (to match the original production?)

MattHR

Screenwriter

I can only speak for EARTHQUAKE. The "filler" TV footage was shot flat. I watched it on cable recently, since I hadn't seen the TV version in awhile. The inserted footage really stands out, since the rest of the movie is so obviously cropped and grainy by comparison. The added footage does nothing but slow down the pace, introducing characters that have no connection to the rest of the plot.

If EARTHQUAKE is ever remastered for DVD, I wouldn't want this extra footage. Not even as a supplement.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
The added footage on the TV version consisted of the famous airplane scenes with Debralee Scott and Sam Chew Jr.. The sequence on the airplane as it attempts a landing during the big quake is indeed exciting, and I quite like the earlier scene where Debralee prophecised from her cards that, "There is danger to travel at this time. Possibility of death," and how the picture of the card was montaged with the seismograph reading being discussed by Stockle and his colleagues.

There's also a prologue to the movie introducing the San Andreas fault and explaining the science behind earthquakes. Nice touch.

Marjoe Gortner, Victoria Principal, and the actors who played Jody's three apartment building nemeses returned to shoot extra scenes. The rest of the added footage involves them. Much of it really doesn't serve any purpose and goes on far too long. Still, I'd like to see all the extra scenes somehow added to the movie via seamless branching.

GregK

Screenwriter
The "Midway" added-for-TV footage is presented as 1.33:1 in the deleted scenes section.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Also would have liked to see the new filmed scenes of Jose ferrer and J.D Cannon for CONCORDE AIRPORT 79 as a bonus on the DVD of that film.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Grey Lady Down is another Universal film that has extra footage. It's a shame that they can't put both the movie and tv version on the same set. I have the tv versions that I taped off of cable and will likely end up transferring them to DVD. I have not and likely nwever will buy the movie versions.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Finally! I don't care what it has on it, I just want to own a good copy of it. This will be anamorphic which the Goodtimes version wasn't.

It looks as if we will get the 123 minute version. I am disappointed. There is no reason why Universal should not release the extended cut. "Those bloody Apes".

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
It is being released the same day Fox is releasing the SE's of POSIEDON ADVENTURE and TOWERING INFERNO. Great weekend for a disaster flick DVD Marathon!

Dennis H

Auditioning
$10.98 list - can't beat it with a stick! Dolby Digital 5.1 - I wonder if the .1 will rock the house?:emoji_thumbsup:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Dennis, that's not Universal's MSRP (List) price. That's the "after-reduction" price. The DVD Times piece shows a $14.98 MRP. Still OK by me. :)

"Ahh, Remy...you'd hardly call this a 'marriage', now would you?"

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I'll just stick with my expanded version and trasfer that to dvd. Sorry Universal. No Sale. Just like Midway and Colossus:The Forbin Project. Don't give me what I want and I'll take a hike.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks