hesitating between denon 3802 and hk avr 520

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antoine Peltier, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Antoine Peltier

I'm gonna purchase either the HK avr 520 or the Denon 3802.

I only have a small space, a 537 square foot studio, and i only intend tu use 5.1 for the time being. I' m leaning towards the 520, does anyone know something about the 3802 that would change my mind?

2. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

Antoine,

I've been hearing that the 520 sounds great beacuse it uses two separate power supplies. Give it a test. The one that sounds best to you should help you decide.

Charles

3. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Of those two I would certainly go the Denon route, but what about a Yamaha 1200 or Onkyo 797? The 797 is THX certified and it is the best sounding out of all of those in stereo and in plain 5.1 it sounds the best. An added plus to the sonic benefits of the 797 are its excellent ergonomincs.

4. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

I haven't listened to the 520, but I did the 320... and eventually bought it! I sold my Denon 3300 and was set to buy a 3802, but my local store was out of them. Just for comparision I decided to try the HK since I liked the looks,better bass management, and it gave me an opportunity to listen to Logic 7. (DPLII was the major reason for my upgrade to begin with)

Well as luck would have it, my local dealer was also out of 520's, so I decided to try a 320 fully expecting it not to perform nor meet my requirements as I have a very large listening area that opens to an even larger area with vaulted ceilings.

Well, the 320 really impressed me! I liked the sound, the dynamics, the features (on screen volume display), bass management, the ability to select different speaker set-ups and cross-overs by input, ability to adjust the channel levels by DSP mode,and most of all LOGIC 7 !!!

I could easily compare L7 vs. PL2, and to ME, there is no comparison between the two, L7 wins hands down. I really like it for music.

I ended up living with it for (2) weeks and then returned it to try the Denon.... well they were still out of 3802's so I brought home a 2802. In less than a week, I had a 320 back! Hey, I'm no Denon basher either as I still own several pieces of Denon equipment and really like thier products.

I just think that HK has a winner on thier hands this time!

Bring one of each home...then look, listen, then decide.

By the way, did I mention the Logic 7 ?

Phil

5. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Think about a Sony da5es in your list. Geo, in this forum has one and loves it. $900 on the internet. The 520 only has 5 channels but looks great($620). Looked at one at CC and the 797. I like Onkyo, but I don't know if they are producing the same quality they did 15 years ago?????? But who is????? The 2200 is a good choice also. You may need to reconsider you size limits.If you can![​IMG]
    PS/If you are planing on dumping it in two years, just get a cheap one and make do for now (sony 1075-$396 or Pioneer 850-$359 or JVC 9010 $339).
    I plan on getting something that will be good for at least 5 years. That narrows the field alot.= 6/7 discrete amps, 6.1, es, db2, neo., 5.1 etc.
    Good luck, alot of choices out there.

6. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

Can someone please explain what makes the 520 have better basemanagement? Is it the same crossover settings that are inthe 8000? Does the 320 have the same crossover setup? Thanks

7. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Yeah, I'd love to know about the crossover details too. I tried to demo the 520/320, but the only local place that has it is Cambridge Soundworks. I went to one and all they had set up in the listening room was a Marantz 5200 and Onkyo 989. When I asked if they would hook up either a 520 or 320 for me to demo, the sales people told me that they "don't do receiver demos"! Why? Because "you can't hear the difference between receivers"! At this point, I asked them to let me do a blind test of the Marantz and Onkyo. The guy was skeptical, but agreed because he was sure that I'd make a fool of myself. They had TPM playing on the climactic Obi Wan vs. Darth Maul scene. After a couple of minutes of the sales guy switching back and forth between the receivers, I was able to easily identify better sound coming from one of the two. Unsurprisingly, it was the Onkyo that sounded better (don't know if it was $2500 better, but that's another post). After this, the guy back-peddled and said that he could hear the differences that I was pointing out and also claimed that he could hear the difference between Sony receivers and those made my "true audio companies". So, the end of the story is that I managed to educate (however slightly) a CSW employee, while leaving with no better idea of what the HK 520 sounded like. No wonder the mass HT market is in a shambles.

8. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

After reading my question, I thought I should clarify. My question is, do the 520/320 have adjustable crossover settings, like 40hz, 50hz, 60hz, and so on.... I want to be able to run my fronts down to around 40 hz or 50 hz. I was planning on getting the 950, but am tired of waiting. I will be using the 520 or 320 as a pre-amp, as I have 2 Carver 753 amps. The are 3x250 into 8 ohms. So power isn't what I'm looking for. I'm looking for features such as crossover, DD EX, DTS ES, etc.

9. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

Yes, both the 520/320 have adjustable crossovers. The choices are: 40, 60, 80, 100. You also have the ability to select different speaker set-ups and or crossovers via input. For example, when I switch to my CD input, it automatically turns off my sub and sends full range to just my mains. When I switch to my DVD input, I have my crossover set at 80 Hz for all channels plus sub. For my TV input, my mains are set to large with a 60Hz crossover plus sub (don't ask me why other than because I can).

The Denon only allows for crossovers at 80, 100, 120.

I too am waiting for a new preamp, and that is how I'm using my 320. I have it paired with a Rotel RMB 1075 5 channel amp and I think it sounds wonderful.

For just over $500.00 it seems like a steal to me, and if you can't tell by now, I'm really happy with it.

Phil

10. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm

11. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

Let me clarify the 520's bass management for you. Yes each channel can be adjusted seperatly. First you must select if you want large or small for each speaker. If small is selected you have a choice between 100hz or 80hz. If large is selected your speaker will reciever the full signal but, you can select your sub to ALSO recieve the signal with a crossover of 40 or 60hz. You CAN NOT set it so anything below 40hz or 60hz gets rerouted to the sub. Hop this helps. Check out the manual for the AVR-520 here: http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Owner%2...OM%20FINAL.pdf
    Rob

12. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

Ugh, not what I wanted to hear. Is there any reasonably priced piece of equipment out there that will do what the 950 is going to do as far as bass management? I am so tired of waiting........Also, what is/are the differences between the 320 and 520 is it power only? Or are there other differences? And will the HK pieces do the DD EX? Thanks again

13. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

RobP is right on the bass managment.

I know of nothing else other than Sony that gives comparable bass management around this price level.

I also believe that most people greatly over-rate the bass management ability and have unrealistic expectations of thier speakers.

For example, I'm running a pair of Paradigm Studio 40 v.2's for mains. (bookshelves) I just went down and turned my sub off, and changed my speaker set-up to small with a 80 Hz crossover. I then put in my test tone disc which starts at 14 hz, and got out my SPL meter to see when I would be able to measure some good signal.

I started getting an SPL reading (no correction employed)around 75 db. at about 41 hz., which stayed fairly strong until my room node around 63 Hz., and then picked up again around 74 Hz.

So, for me, the 80 setting works very well.

I think that most people think that crossover freqs. are like brick walls and forget about the slope employed.

With my prior Denon 3300, I didn't start getting 75 db readings until around 50 Hz., but the Denon may use a different slope??

My 40's also sound better with the lower bass removed. If I leave my sub off and keep the 80 crossover and listen to some music, everything is very clear (but of course absent of low bass)and sounds good. If I switch them over to full range and listen to the same music, things get alittle congested and are not as clear. So again for me in my room, the 40's do best crossed at 80 with a sub doing the low bass and coming in about 40...and the HK lets me do that.

I just wouldn't get too hung up on the bass management thing unless your speakers can really (honestly) do justice down around 30-40 Hz. AND sound good in the upper mids at the same time. I know Studio 40's can't with 120 watts from a Rotel 1075.

Phil

14. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

Phil, I agree with what you say. However, My speakers are pretty high-end Focal DIY from Zalytron. They employ (2) 7inch woofers, and are suppose to be flat down to 35hz. Are there any other differences between the 320/520. If it is power only, I would be smarter to go with the 320 and save the extra bucks since I'm using external power amplifiers. Thanks for you input.

15. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

Tom:

I think power, HDCD decoding, and a backlit remote is it?

I'm just using mine as a pre-amp so I didn't see the need to spend the extra for the 520. I'm thinking about using the $150 I saved to buy a better remote. For some reason the 320 remote will not learn my Replay controls?

Phil