Herzog's 'Invincible'

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jan H, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

When one of the greatest living filmmakers, Werner Herzog, releases his first English-language movie, one would think that would be cause for celebration. But, tragically, 'Invincible' got almost zero publicity upon its release (and I live in the 2nd biggest market in the U.S.) and, even worse, the release of the DVD has caused nary a ripple of interest. Has anyone seen this movie? I thought it was one of the best films from last year, and the DVD, while containing no extras, boasts a lovely image and very effective DD and DTS soundtracks. Tim Roth gives one of the best performances of his career in this film. I cannot figure out why this movie has been so overlooked. [​IMG]

2. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

I saw it this past weekend. Loved it. Aside from a handful of raves, the movie was also dissed critically, with plenty of "this is minor Herzog" complaints. I don't think it's minor at all. I'd place this above Cobra Verde and Woyzeck. I was also more engaged by this than Fitzcarraldo. The film is emotionally affecting, with plenty of memorable images.
    I especially like the juxtaposition of the girl's soul reflected in the aquarium with Roth's soul reflected in his deluded audience.
    I'll be purchasing this disc.

Mark

3. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

wow...thanks for the tip!! here is one that slipped by me....and I love his films/dvds. I'll be getting this asap. thanks again.

4. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Totally agree, Mark. Unfortunately, it's not readily available to rent (none of the 4 BB in my area carry it), so I had to buy it. But if you're a fan of Herzog, by all means, seek it out.

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I liked Invincible as well and think it's better than the similarly-themed The Pianist. FWIW, I did a write-up on the film in the Expanding Horizons thread in Polls. [​IMG]

6. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Gotcha, Steve. That's a good read, and I concur with your analysis. Even above-average Herzog is better than most of the crap being released these days. And I, too, thought it was far more interesting than the Pianist.

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

8. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I like Herzog, but think this is a minor work. It didn't really work for me.

As for his first English language film, it isn't that, is it? What about WHERE THE GREEN ANTS DREAM or STROSZEK or the Enlgish version of NOSFERATU?

9. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

his next project i hear, is a film about LOCH NESS-not sure if the Monster Myth or just the area, as he has a love of the Scottish Highlands