Herzog/Kinski box set: which disc to watch first?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott David, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Scott David

Scott David Stunt Coordinator

Yesterday I made a "blind purchase" of the Werner Herzog/Klaus Kinski box set. Having never seen any of the movies, nor the "My Best Fiend" documentary, I was wondering if I should watch the five Herzog/Kinski movies first before "Fiend", or would it matter? Would watching the movies first give me a greater appreciation of the content of "Fiend", and would watching "Fiend" first show any spoilers from the movies?

2. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I don't think you should watch My Best Fiend until after you've seen the films, at least a couple/three of them. For one thing, it won't mean anything to you. For another, your view of their relationship could well be tainted and you'll be looking for signs of it instead of watching the movie.
    For personal reasons, my favorite Herzog/Kinski movie is Fitzcarraldo. Kinski plays a bad guy in so many of his movies that it's nice to see him play a good and decent man. To go through everything he does, simply for the love of music, is a fine thing to behold.
    Many people consider Aguirre: The Wrath of God to be the best of them. I suppose I do too, but it's hard to separate my intense love of Fitzcarraldo with how "good" it is within their collaborations.
    My next favorite is Nosferatu. You'll likely never see Dracula the same way again.
    The movies are a commitment. They're slow and languid, with short bursts of intensity. I'm sure you wouldn't have bought them if you weren't receptive to those types of films. Don't even start watching if you're the least bit tired. They'll put you to sleep, and I don't mean that as an insult. They just have this atmosphere about them that can lull you.
    Once you've seen Fitzcarraldo, you should keep an eye out for the Les Blank documentary Burden of Dreams, a fascinating look at the making of the movie, which is nearly as good as Fitzcarraldo itself, in a different way. My Best Fiend is not a replacement for Burden of Dreams. It's not on DVD, but it is on VHS, and it plays on, if I recall correctly, Independent Film Channel (or Sundance, whichever) every now and then.
    Have a nice journey into two strange and brilliant minds!

3. Scott David

Scott David Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the great reply, Vickie. The "slow and languid" nature of these films, as well as their reputations as fine films, convinced me to take a chance on buying them blind (as well as the relatively cheap $49.95 price at BB), and after reading your views, I'm already glad I did. You'd make a fine professional movie critic, if you're not one already. [​IMG]

4. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

:b Aw, pshaw, thanks. I'm far from being a professional, or even an amateur. I don't even like to write, but I love to read, especially when it concerns movies.

The box set is nice, isn't it? My husband, knowing that I've been a long-time Herzog/Kinski fan and sweetheart that he is, bought it for me for my birthday.

Please check back in after you've seen one or some of them, let us know what you think.

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm