What's new

"Heroes", starring Henry Winkler & Sally Field (1977) (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently re-watched the excellent 1977 film Heroes on DVD, starring Henry Winkler & Sally Field. Winkler plays a Vietnam Vet with PTSD, who is trying to re-connect with his old army buddies on a cross-country road trip. Though the film definitely starts out light hearted & has many comedic elements, there is an underlying darkness to the movie - and it has a very powerful & disturbing ending. The film also co-stars Harrison Ford.

IMHO this is Winkler's best role, and one of SF's best movies as well.

The DVD has better than average Picture Quality on my HD set. And, though it could use a Blu upgrade - it's definitely more than acceptable as-is.

As great as this film is, one of the many egregious examples of a music copyright issue is the very ending of the film, which initially featured the iconic song "Carry on my Wayward Son" by Kansas. However, the DVD and previous home video releases feature a generic song in it's place - despite the Kansas song being mentioned in the closing credits - terrible.

So, on my recent re-watch, when the final scene played I turned off the audio and played the Kansas song in the background ;)

Last edited:

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
HEROES is coming out on Blu-ray in a couple weeks from Mill Creek. It's a double feature disc paired up with EDDIE MACON'S RUN with Kirk Douglas and John Schneider.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
While your DVD may have music replacement, the HD digital version does not. The Kansas song plays over the closing credits.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
HEROES is coming out on Blu-ray in a couple weeks from Mill Creek. It's a double feature disc paired up with EDDIE MACON'S RUN with Kirk Douglas and John Schneider.

Good to know. However, I'll hold off on getting this until I know whether or not the Kansas song "Carry on my Wayward Son" has been re-instated over the closing credits. The DVD's PQ is more than acceptable - so if the Blu still features the crummy & forgettable "alternate" song at the end, it won't be worth it to me to replace this.

Last edited:

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I have it on pre-order from Amazon and will report in when I receive the disc. I've never seen HEROES but have always wanted to. I'm a big Kirk Douglas fan and remembered EDDIE MACON'S RUN as a pretty good action film.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Good to hear Mill Creek is doing Universal titles now. I have the DiscoVision laserdisc of Heroes but haven't watched it to confirm the music is intact on that.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I can't find this double feature blu ray set. Can someone place a liner here? thank you thank you! Never mind. looks to be out of stock everywhere. :(

Worked out okay. Got Heroes and the Love at First Bite/Once Bittens blurays. Carry on my nightlife!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks