What's new

Heroes season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

UngersPride

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad
It was a great episode last night - the show is going as I expected it to.

Let's see:

We have:

1) "Invisible Man"

2) "Radioactive Man"

3) and Hiro's ancestor who pulled a sword out of frozen snow and went on to become a great leader of Japan. Hiro then takes the sword and is standing in front of the dino exhibit.

This sounds a lot like Arthur who drew his sword from the stone and went on to become a great leader/King of Britain. The dino touch was nice - a great nod to the legends of knights of old facing dragons.

Yup, no subtle sci-fi/fantasy elements in this show....:laugh:

But then again, Kring himself called the series of episodes dealing with the sword as "The Quest for the Sword".

It's obvious that Kring knows his mytholgy, and is incorporating it into the show. This is a great series and is just getting better.

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Really? Anyone else catch this "nod"? 'Cause I totally missed it. Hiro's in a museum in front of a T-Rex squeleton and we're still thinking about dragons...to each his own I guess.

Anyway, wasn't Nuclear-man in jail? It looked like he was playing around with his powers in a cabin in the middle of nowhere. What happened there?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Yeah, because the odd allusion to legends and quests is exactly the same as turning the show into The Lord of the Rings or Gawain and the Green Knight as Brad originally hoped would happen. (And which would have been followed by the sound of millions of remote controls clicking over to watch 24, because that kind of story, while perfectly legitimate, is not what Heroes has ever been about. Babylon 5 also alluded to classical literature, epic poetry, the Arthur cycle and Tolkein without ever once forgetting that it was a science fiction series and telling its own story, not some predigested mass produced by dropping a copy of Joseph Campbell into a blender. (Sorry, George. :))

Regards,

Joe

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I wasn't disappointed in the least bit.

I thought it was a great episode pulling a lot of things together.

Missed the last 15-20 seconds as usual, is it important enough to flip through the show on NBC?

UngersPride

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad

What you just wrote is exactly what makes a good show great.

Allusion.... Allowing a modern story to make reference to old stories and ancient tales....

Heroes is Kring's modern version of telling some timeless tales....

Allusion....

I never said I wanted Hiro to don armour and ride around on a white horse. I wanted allusion... to take what's modern and subtlely work in fantasy elements... which is exactly what Heroes is doing, and what Babylon 5 and Buffy, etc have done....

And you ain't seen nothing yet.... I know what's coming down the pike....

Maybe we do need heroes and myths and legends....

Maybe that's why the show has become such a hit....

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Sure is a good thing we have you here to explain it to us. Otherwise we might foolishly believe our own lying eyes when watching this series. :D

"You just keep thinkin', Butch; that's what you're good at."

:rolleyes:

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

An allusion to epic storytelling or myth or fantasy does not mean retelling those stories in modern dress. And if you can't tell the difference between Buffy and B5 there really isn't much I can do for you. :)

Regards,

Joe

UngersPride

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad

I have never been obsessed with costumes.

Many of you got wedgies just thinking about the fact that this show might even have fantasy elements to it...

Cripes, some of you even think this show is somehow related to reality...

And read your definition of allusion again.

I said subtlely working in fantasy elements disguised in a modern setting, and that is exactly what Kring is doing.

I did not say to completely re-tell old tales. Clearly Kring is taking bits of myth and legends and working them into his story.

As for Buffy, do you really know what that show was REALLY about? Please do tell me...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Since you were ridiculed, you now say you meant allusions to fantasy all along, but that's not what you intended with your original post:

What's so bizarre about all of that is how specific it is. "They need to find an ancient chest that contains scrolls of prophecy" would be one thing, but "Ammon," "Gelnec," "Balor of the Evil Eye." :confused:

To those who complained about discussion of the online comic taking up too much of the thread, are you starting to reconsider? ;) At least it has some basis in the show.

JodyL

Agent
Real Name
Jody
Heroes:

Brad:

Rather than making vague allusions to things, I would enjoy hearing your views on these subjects in full detail (use spoiler space if needed). Thanks.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm going to just ignore Brad v. Everbody Else (2007) round two, and go back to the episode itself:

, my guess is that he can turn his invisibility on and off. That being the case, it's much easier to steal money than the things you buy with it.

UngersPride

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad

???

Reconsider what?

Clearly you picked out this post without bothering to read my next posts.

Just for you: I stated that I wrote that post in haste, as I was going somewhere. I did not mean that I want heroes to go down that literal road.

I explained that I would like to see Heroes take a nod from myths and legends and to develop a mythology of its own with subtle fantasy elements worked in.

Clearly, this is what Kring is doing. In an interview he stated that he has scraped the "terrorist"; this character will now be "Radioactive Man".

Ahhh.... who cares... I am outta here.....

I've better things to do with my time....

So enjoy.... whatever.... you think.... you're watching....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks