Hero: Special Extended Edition Killing my DVD Players

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Stone, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Not really sure what the problem is here, so I'll explain it as best as I can. I finally got my Special Extended Edition of Hero from KoreanDVDs.com today, and was watching it on my main player (Toshiba SD5700). At about the 38:00 mark, the DVD started stuttering really bad (like it was scratched). I took it out to clean it, and it was in great condition...no scratches, etc. I put it back in, and this time it started stuttering right at the beginning, where it had played fine before. I decided to have some lunch, so I turned off the player and ate. When I came back I gave it another shot, and it played for about 2 minutes (to the 40:00 mark) before starting to studder really bad again. I power-cycled the player and the next time I tried to play it, I couldn't even get a picture to display.

At this point, I'm figuring that the disc just doesn't like my player, so I decide to watch the rest on my computer. I start it at the 38:00 mark, and it plays fine for about 10 minutes, when...surprise, surprise...it starts stuttering again. It ate up all my RAM, and I had to eject the disc for it to relinquish my memory.

Has anyone else had any problems with this disc?

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay, now I'm thinking it's just a bad disc. I decided to rip it, to see if I could play the raw VOBs off of my hard drive...and about half-way through the rip, it errored out on an I/O error. Dammit, it took about a month to get here from Korea, and now I find out the damn disc is bad!

3. ArchibaldTuttle

ArchibaldTuttle Auditioning

never trust those chinese DVD's...
    [​IMG]

4. Hussain

Hussain Auditioning

Hey,

just signed up to tell you something about this. I got the extended cut as well and had the same problem with it as you described it.

Sent it back and got a replacement today. It has the same error. It looks like my DVD supplier has received a faulty batch of "Hero" DVDs. He said that I wasn't the only one who had this problem, but other customers he sent this item to didn't have this problem. So it appears that there are quite a few faulty discs out there. If you are going to get a replacement, tell them that and ask them to check your replacement first before sending it to you.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Did you buy from KoreanDVDs.com? I sent mine back last week to be replaced.

6. Rigoberto Costa

Rigoberto Costa Auditioning

Matt,

I had the same problem with a Pioneer 363K, but the disk played well in my computer and also in my Sony 360. I think, in my case, I have a compatibility problem.

I'll try other players before I'll send it back to KoreanDVDs.

Regards,

Rigoberto

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

As I said before, it had problems on my computer too. I already sent the disc back to KoreanDVDs, and my new copy came today. I played it on my main player...and it sorta worked. I say "sorta" because audio dropped out, and I couldn't get it back...but the video played fine. That does sound like a compatibility problem...or a problem with my player, which has had some problems in the past.

I'll try it on my computer a little later.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay, I tried it on my Tosh SD5700, Computer, and Daewoo VHS/DVD combo player...they call gave me problems. Strange thing is, they all gave me problems at different places. I always started at the chapter with the battle on the lake, and my Toshiba started stuttering right away...where as the Daewoo played for about 6 minutes. My computer didn't have problems for a couple more chapters.

WTF is going on here?!

9. Rigoberto Costa

Rigoberto Costa Auditioning

Matt,

The problem I have starts at 1:08:31 (start of chapter 9) and goes bad until the end of that chapter, but only in my Pioneer.

The layer switch is at 1:11:31 right after the begining of chapter 10. I still assume it's a compatibility problem but it's weird.

Regards,

Rigoberto