What's new

Hero R2 Japanese release on 2005/01/28, info? (1 Viewer)

mathieu_l

Auditioning
Hi!

I saw this version of Hero advertised on cdjapan.co.jp. It's advertised as "HERO (Ying xiong) (English Subtitles) [Regular Edition]", it's region 2 and it's 99 minutes long. It's only 23$! I don't know who's the publisher but it might be Elite Group. Do you think it'll the same transfer as the "best" version available right now (Elite Group 2-disc edition)?

Thanks for your inputs!

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
If it is, it's a sweet deal on a very good transfer. I just bought a copy from Matt in the classifieds section and man it rocks! Well worth the $23.

Ron

Njal

Grip
I would be very surprized if this wasn't identical to the feature disc on the previous release, only loosing the extra's-disc.
That's the way it normally is with the 2-disc L.E.'s > 1-disc releases in Japan.

Les Fowler

Grip
I have the Korean Ultimate Edition from BITWIN , dts 6.1. I have not seen any other versions but I cannot imagine a better pressing of this film .

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Les, apparently the Japanese LE has a better video transfer, but I doubt so much so that you'd feel compelled to upgrade. As for myself, I'm still living with the Edko R3 release with the great full-bitrate DTS track but less-than-perfect video (not bad, but certainly inferior to the Japanese LE).

So, I too am extremely interested in finding out what this single disc release turns out to be... I'm hoping it's a port of the original 2-disc version! If anyone finds any info on this, please share...

Les Fowler

Grip
Your right Rich , I cannot see myself upgrading my bitwin version since I am quite happy with it. So many websites have really dissed the region 1 quality from Miramax I feel sorry for all the people who limit themselves to region 1

CarlosL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos
Hey folks, as surprising as it may sound, I love Hero but have never bought it on DVD. I was waiting for the Miramax release, but after hearing how screwed up that was, I didn't buy it. I'd love to get the Japanese R2 Elite Group version for its beautiful picture and sound, but don't have $35+ to shell out.

That's why this new release is so appealing to me. The link is http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/(mint,one_l...ml?KEY=REDV-80 and from what I can tell, it appears to be a 1-disc release by Elite Group. Here are CD Japan's scans of the front and back: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/pictures/l/10/20/REDV-80.jpg http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/pictures/l/10/20/REDV-80_2.jpg.

Having never ordered from them, is CD Japan trustworthy for correct scans? If so, I'm really interested in this release. Thanks for any information, folks! :)

-- Carlos

DanFe

Second Unit
This release is exactly the same as the old one sans the 2nd disc. I would get it while you can because it's only a 2 week release. Limited quantities.

CarlosL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos
Well, I just ordered Hero, and it comes out to about $27. Not bad in my mind for the Elite Group release minus the 2nd disc, which isn't even subtitled anyways as far as I can tell. :)

Thanks, Mathieu!

Moz

Agent
Does this single edition (or the 2-disc edition) have both DTS-ES 6.1 discret and full bitrate or not ?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Do we know this with certainty? Kinda pricey to take a chance on an unknown quantity (and I've already owned two different DVDs of this movie).

DanFe

Second Unit
Yep, because I bought it, received it, and can confirm it is exactly the same as the first release sans the 2nd disc.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I decided to give this a go, but when trying to order, it was all in english until the PAY page. There was a space for a "Furigana." Well, I don't know what that is, so I left it blank. Unfortunately, the next screen was now TOTALLY in Japanese! Any amazon.co.jp veterans here to help?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
There are "Help in English" instructions, but they're not particularly instructive. For example, I couldn't determine what "Furigana" means!

But it's a good deal thru Amazon if you can get the 500 yen-off. If anyone can figure the ordering out, I'd also like to know!

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
In the "Your Account" stuff, theres a chance to ask for ordering screens in english. It seemed to be working well, until...

I remember some months back reading a thread somewhere where a first-time orderer was instructed in what the Furigana was. If only I remembered! I do think it was actually pretty trivial though...

Njal

Grip
Fugirana is more or less how you would do your name phonetically, explaining how it is pronounced (you often can't tell how a Japanese name is pronounced from the 'spelling').
Just to put your given name there again works well.
Anyway, the short version of how to order on the amazon.co.jp-page:
Press 'View in English' above the yellow Cart-symbol.
Put item in cart('Add to Cart'), (on next screen, if yellow buttons are in Japanese, press English, if not, skip this).
Press 'Proceed to Checkout', fill in email adress on next screen.
Next screen, press 'International (outside Japan)'. Next, fill in name, adress, etc.
On the 'Create Password'page, fill in details, using for instance, as noted above, your given name again for Fugirana.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks