What's new

Here's what Blockbuster has in store for you (1 Viewer)

Okay... Here's the full article:

SORRY, UH-HUH. COPIED/PASTED ARTICLE DELETED BY ADMIN. DO NOT POST COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL IN ITS ENTIRETY ON THIS BOARD.

Ryan FB

Second Unit
The two main reasons I see people abandoning Blockbuster and going to things like Netflix for are:
  1. Widescreen releases
  2. Wider selection of titles (more "non-mainstream" titles)[/list=1]
    Do their plans not address either of these issues?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
The two main reasons I see people abandoning Blockbuster and going to things like Netflix for are: Widescreen releases
I don't think that is the case.

At one of the places I buy DVDs, they keep the new releases behind the counter. Whenever you go to buy one, if it is available in both widescreen and fullscreen, they ask which one you want. I have never heard someone say widescreen. Honestly. The last three times I have been there, the person in front of me asked for the fullscreen version of a film. I couldn't believe it, but true.

So, while we may all like widescreen and buy it exclusively, Joe and Jane Sixpack out there either doesn't like it or doesn't know enough about the difference to prefer it. These are the same people who go to Blockbuster. They don't care about it enough to boycott it because they carry fullscreen.

DVD pricing is what is hurting Blockbuster. DVDs cost the same price as CDs. Why pay $4.50 to rent something when you can buy it for a few dollars more? How many CD rental places do you see?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I haven't stepped foot in a Blockbuster for years, and I see nothing in this article to change my mind. If they ever decide to carry OAR versions of every film they have, as well as unrated versions where appropriate, I'd reconsider. Not until then.

MattHR

Screenwriter
DVD pricing is what is hurting Blockbuster. DVDs cost the same price as CDs. Why pay $4.50 to rent something when you can buy it for a few dollars more? How many CD rental places do you see?
None. It is illegal to rent CDs.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
No one would rent something which can be copied easily.

Unless they want to make a loss - met anyone that stupid?

Ryan FB

Second Unit
So, while we may all like widescreen and buy it exclusively, Joe and Jane Sixpack out there either doesn't like it or doesn't know enough about the difference to prefer it. These are the same people who go to Blockbuster. They don't care about it enough to boycott it because they carry fullscreen.
I don't think Joe and Jane Sixpack out there are going to go to Netflix when Blockbuster is offering the same thing at a B&M (now with their $19.99/mo unlimited rental plans they're rolling out). As I said, the reasons I listed are the reasons why people do decide to not go to BB and get their rentals elsewhere instead. It said in the article something to the effect that BB was looking to catch every type of customer they can, which is why they've set up both an online rental store and have started monthly plans, as well as looking at other areas they can expand in. So why not try to get the "movie buff" type customer as well? IMO, that's where they're going to see the biggest loss from customers going elsewhere (because they're dissatisfied with what's being offered at many BB's currently, which is poor DVD selection and non-OAR titles), not in the J6P market.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
because they're dissatisfied with what's being offered at many BB's currently, which is poor DVD selection and non-OAR titles
But again, the majority of the renting public doesn't care about OAR. That isn't a factor in deciding where to rent.

And as for DVD selection, my Blockbuster at least has a good selection. They have some fairly obscure titles. Certainly the people who don't care about OAR aren't going to notice anything missing. Everything that has played the multiplex is there. That is all most renters care about.

You have to realize, we are the minority when it comes to the DVD audience. We care more about sound and picture and aspects like that then over 90% of the DVD market.

Ryan FB

Second Unit
But again, the majority of the renting public doesn't care about OAR. That isn't a factor in deciding where to rent.

And as for DVD selection, my Blockbuster at least has a good selection. They have some fairly obscure titles. Certainly the people who don't care about OAR aren't going to notice anything missing. Everything that has played the multiplex is there. That is all most renters care about.

You have to realize, we are the minority when it comes to the DVD audience. We care more about sound and picture and aspects like that then over 90% of the DVD market.
Yes, I realize these things. I know we aren't the majority. My point is that if Blockbuster truly cares about getting every customer they can, as it said in the article, they would go after movie buffs. My point is, it's mostly movie buffs who are going to switch from a local B&M to a place like Netflix. "Most renters", the "majority of the DVD audience", would have no reason to (unless they for some reason enjoyed waiting during the turnaround time), as everything offered to them by something like Netflix would be offered locally by Blockbuster as well (except the issues I brought up, again, this may not be the case at all Blockbusters, but its the case at every one I've been to, and I see no end of complaints about these issues online so I know it's not isolated to my region). From the article, Blockbuster wants to compete with Netflix and other renters and get as many possible customers as it can from them. Solving the two things I brought up are, IMO, the way to do that.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
My point is that if Blockbuster truly cares about getting every customer they can, as it said in the article, they would go after movie buffs. My point is, it's mostly movie buffs who are going to switch from a local B&M to a place like Netflix
I don't know if they would. I subscribe to Netflix and have a Blockbuster on my way to and from work, less than a mile from me. Even if Blockbuster stocked widescreen and the same number of titles, I would stick with Netflix.

And I know many people who, when I tell them about Netflix, have no interest. They'd rather go to Blockbuster and rent something. They don't care about the difference in selection or the widescreen. They just want to see a movie.

Complaining about Blockbuster is like complaining about McDonalds. Those that care about food don't eat at McDonalds and those that care about DVD don't go to Blockbuster. But, for the majority of people who want to eat or rent a film, they have a place to go. McDonalds may try to add salads to get a larger base, or BB may add a mail in service, but it is still the same.

Also, those "movie buffs" mainly buy films, they don't rent. Blockbuster could cater to them by cutting prices on the DVDs they sell, but with the overpriced (full retail price) DVDs they have, they aren't going to get many in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks