Here's to Lance Armstrong's 4th Tour de France win!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Somebody had to start this, so just a congratulations and give me one of those stuffed lions and a podium girl while you're at it, I'd take 3 of each.

Although I haven't finished watching the individual time trial from Saturday and the last stage into Paris, I already know the outcome so congrats to Lance and now shall wait til September for the Vuelta.

With a friend of mine who also bike commutes, we went to a ride from my house to Warwick, NY by riding the 25 miles from my home up through Upper Greenwood Lake into NY, we made the 52 mile charity ride a 110 mile loop for us. Had an overcast day yesterday but it kind of kept the hot and humid temps down by providing a mist and keeping the sun out. Got up at 4:15am and left by 5:15 and just riding, imagining that by 8 or 9, Lance is probably riding in the last stage just at that moment and felt kind of nice.

Jay

2. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely, hats off to Lance.

We went for a shorter ride, a 37 mile loop around one of the hills north of the city. Cool rolling terrain. Towards the end we got caught in some rain which was actually awsome, really refreshed & re-energized me. Kinda took off on my buddy then, whoops!

Andrej

3. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

A big ... RIGHT CHEERS !!!! to Lance ...

I will be seeing him this weekend at the NYC race downtown ... can't wait to see some real live pro cycling action!

4. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

Just got back from my trip to France yesterday. Seeing how I'm now up at 4AM (noon in France), I might as well post.

If you're a cycling fan, nothing compares to seeing the tour live. On TV you just don't get the sense of the speed of the riders and the insanity of the crowd.

We went to two stages, the first being the climb up Mt. Ventoux last Sunday and then the finale in Paris a couple of days ago. On Saturday, the day before the stage on Ventoux, we drove up the mountain to take a look at the climb and see what the viewing areas looked like. As we we're getting close to the top, I was truly amazed that there weren't more people up on the mountain, the day before such an epic stage. When I reached the top, I learned why....We had come up the back side! I have never seen so many RVs in my life! For 15 miles there were RVs lining the road, both sides, sometimes 3 or 4 deep!

On Sunday morning, we got up early and decided to see how far up the mountain we could get. I was worried about getting stuck in horrible traffic after the stage, as we had a 3-4 hour drive to a new hotel that night. We ended up getting turned around at Bedoin at the base of the climb, as they had closed the road already (this was about 9 am). We could have driven around to the other side of the mountain, parked, and hiked to the top, but because of my time concerns we decided not to do it. We parked about 1/2 mile off the road and walked to the route and setup camp. For the rest of the day (about 6 hours waiting for the tour), we just watched the human sea that made it's way up and down the road. I've never seen so many people riding bikes, all in garish neon team lycra, in my life. It turns out that we were technically a few kilometers into the climb, and saw the breakway group that included Virenque all go by. They looked to be hurting, and when the peloton came by about 8 minutes later I was sure they were all going to get caught.

The finale in Paris this last Sunday was insane. We met up with a big group of Americans. If you remember seeing the blow-up shamu, or the guy running up the mountain with an inflatable shark around his waste, that's the group we met up with. For 6 hours we stood around, talked cycling, heckled the cops, cheered, screamed, and just had a great time. I think I got some good pictures of the stage as we were right on the rail.

We were only about 200 yards behind the finish line, in an area where they had setup a double row of barriers (about 5 feet apart). Throughout the day, the number of gendarmes that were stationed in front of us fluctuated from one to ten, depending on how rowdy we were. Once the race was over and the victory laps began, a group of guys hopped the first barricade into the gap. Of course a ton of people followed. However you could tell from the look on the cops face that they weren't going to put up with that. After a few minutes, I swear half the cops at the tour were in front of our group pushing everyone back.

Unfortunately, this resulted in all the cops staying right in our area. After Rabobank came by and Levi Leipheimer stopped, came up to the crowd and shook hands and handed out some schwag we had high hopes that Lance might stop also (he did for this group last year). Unfortunately, since all the cops were hanging out with us, all sorts of other people were going over the barriers. There ended up being a huge group of about 200 people on the course in front of us, and Lance just rode by and waved as he tried to avoid the crowd.

Great time though, I met a lot of Americans on Sunday who had followed the tour in varying degrees, from the people who just happened to be in Paris, to people like us who went to a few stages, to guys who brought there bikes and pre-rode a lot of the climbs. If you're a cycling fan, I'd definitely recommend this as a trip to put on your calendar.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    ...yeah and next year Lance goes for his 5th straight..
    How about it, an HTF Tour de France tour, I'm open next year as far as I can tell now. This past two years are Alaska journeys, next year it might be cool to try to setup something overseas.. I've never been to Europe before.
    Anyway, on one of the stages, I do remember seeing a dude with a shark outfit on... I finished watching the time trial from saturday last night, so tonight I'll try to watch the last stage, I'll try to spot you Cameron... Maybe I'll just try to watch for the French police [​IMG]
    Watching the time trial, one actually wonders if Lance purposely lost the last time trial to Botero. I mean Paul asked him about that during that stage's broadcast and Lance answered very politically by not answering the question...
    Nice report Cameron, did you take any photos during Ventoux? That was the stage that Lance was complaining about some presumably French hecklers.
    Jay

6. CameronJ

7. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

It was nice to see Lance's victory get a prominent place on Sunday's evening news shows, and it was the first thing Letterman talked about in his monologue last night.

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    CameronJ, looking forward to your pictures! Did you see the Devil? The guy who's sponsered by Luk, I saw him in a few stages on OLN.
    Mario, I've seen riding tours and I've seen people just wing it, going from stage to stage. Then there's the guy from Andrej's link (in another thread) about the journalist riding the tour.. [​IMG] Let me know what you find. Andrej and I already had the HTF Tour de (lake) Champlain earlier this year, about 360 MTB miles around the lake. I guess now really is the time to start thinking about plans, I am completely open to camping to get spots and save $$$ too. I do alot of hiking and camping so I have good camping gear, although a tour sounds fun, it's a good way to meet other cyclists too.
    Have you guys noticed that every other word from Paul Sherwin is either "Superb" or "Absolutely". I wonder if he gets that from Phil or the other way around because both of them need to get a thesaurus [​IMG]
    Jay

9. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Another absolutely superb performance by LA!

It seems recounts of his prognosis keep getting better. CNNSI reports that he had had a 50/50 chance for CA survival. Actually, earlier in his comeback, his physician was interviewed as stated that they had told Lance that he had a 20% chance, but that was just to give him a bit of hope, as their prior experience suggested that he had a 0% chance.

In that context, his first TdF win was beyond astounding, and words fail me in any attempt to describe his ongoing run.

10. Edan W

Edan W Stunt Coordinator

11. Mario Bartel

12. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

$2K plus air sounds pretty good to me. Something to train for and a perfect application for my Pocket Rocket.

Color me interested.

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    OK guys, lets get an initial headcount of who is interested.
    Edan, Jim, Mario.... Hey if Cameron wants to go again next year, he can be our guide! [​IMG] Andrej, if you're out there, interested? Aurel (BTW, take lots of photos of the NYC crit, that should be cool, tell me if Mario shows up...).
    I will be leaving on Aug 1st for Alaska to backpack the Chilkoot trail and then Denali, not bringing my bike this time but I should be back on the HTF sometime after Aug 15th when I'm back around.
    We can figure out what sounds like a good deal, figure out how much cycling we want to do and if any good plans out there.. hell, if there's a bunch of us, we could get a personal tour. I know places like Western Spirit and stuff out west run personal MTB tours for larger groups...
    Jay

14. Aurel Savin

Jay ..

I will ride into downtown from Queens on my bike with a few friends.

Will try to take some good pictures and maybe evn try to meet Lance ... that would be great.

Looking forward to a great day!

15. CameronJ

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Cameron, you're the guy with the white T and the hat?
    Take a look at the guy on the left, at first it looks like he is wearing a "Cutters" shirt which is the team from Breaking Away Made me look twice, but it looks like it says "cuters" unless it's hidden by the fold in the shirt.
    Saw the last stage, didn't notice your group though, a lot of the shots were from the air. Noticed alot of punctures though. Robbie McEwen looked very happy which was fun to see, I wonder if he ever thought he was going to have a chance at unseating Zabel this year, he definitely was the better sprinter this year. Winning two stages and the green jersey, first for an Australian too.
    Jay

17. CameronJ

Yep, that's me. At that point I think I was just holding my arm up because I was so tired of pumping it.
    Good catch on the "Cutters". That group consisted of a bunch of guys just out of college from NJ and PA who followed every stage from the first in the Pyrennes on to Paris. Shamu was theirs, as was the blow-up shark's head not seen in these pictures.
    Here's some of the better pictures I took for both stages. Unfortunately, I thought I got some of Lance that were better than this, but I guess I was wrong [​IMG] .
    Tour album at ofoto.com

18. Aurel Savin

Hey fellas ...
    Well the NYC Race was awesome, even though Lance did not win. Great turnout for cycling ... amazing actually!!!
    We did not cycle into the city ... as it was very humid out and we are old bastards, but we had a better time this way ... (more beer) [​IMG]
    Oh yeah and that prediction from my previous post ... well take a look at the web page I created below to see what I mean !!!!
    Pictures from the NYC Bike Race

19. Mario Bartel

Thanks for the pics Aurel! (But geez, it doesn't exactly look like you rode there[​IMG] ) How cool is that, seeing those cyclists wheel through the canyons of Lower Manhattan?!
    Kinda neat to see Saturn's Ivan Dominguez won the race. A few weeks ago, a buddy and I were having some dinner at an outdoor patio before making the ten-block walk to watch the Gastown Grand Prix in Vancouver, when a couple of Saturn riders pedalled by, packs on their backs, heading to their evening of racing. One of them was Dominguez.
    BTW, the quest for a tour to the Tour continues apace. I've received email from Bikestyle, who are based in Australia. The exchange rate on the Australian dollar is quite favorable for Americans and Canadians. I'm currently mining the internet looking for stories/press coverage/personal accounts from people who have had experiences with these companies.

20. Aurel Savin

Mario, no we did not ride in as it was really hot outside and it is a 40 mile ride back and forth from where we live. We are wimps, what can I tell you [​IMG]
    Actually there were not many cyclists there. But I gotta tell you I have never seen so many posers in full USPS outfits and bikes like yesterday ... There were these 2 older guys who looked like they were on the USPS team.
    Thank God we did not ride in as there are some great bars around the Seaport area [​IMG]