What's new

Here's the new Outlaw newsletter!!! (1 Viewer)

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
I don't own an Outlaw, and probably won't in the near future (I actually have been eyeing an AVM-20), but I have to point out that it is not all that common for a company to make a top quality sounding product and price it cheaply. Since my addiction to this audio and HT sickness, I have often looked for companies that provide bang for the buck, and from everything I have seen in these forums, that is often the main intention of many here. If a company comes out with a sonically fine product using superior DACs, having component switching, as well as the pertinent sound formats, and then prices it in a range where someone can actually afford it, why would you want to knock it? I don't think that Outlaw ever intended to offer everything that a Lexicon, Meridian, or Anthem product offers. Do you see an aluminum faceplate? They obviously don't spend very much on their industrial designer (flat black with green buttons? Someone's color blind). They didn't spend much money on a PR firm for their name and logo (Outlaw Audio- how corny is that?). They didn't even spend that much on their website (that I don't get, as it is their main selling vehicle). They did spend their nickels on good DACs, and enough features to satisfy the demanding audiophile on a budget. For every person that complains about the lack of upgradability, I say this: You can buy the next three to four generations of the Outlaw pre-amps for the money you would spend on the upgradeable Anthem. Buy one, and invest the rest. In a bull market, the investment will buy you a new pre-amp every few years. Stop expecting something for nothing folks, be happy that someone cares about your need for find sound, and be happy. Spend your money, enjoy your music and DVDs, read a book once in awhile, make love to your honey, or if you don't have one, get out of the house and off these forums!!:D

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Great newsletter. The information was direct and to the point and delivered in an honest manner. I like the 13 day confirmation period because I will be gone the first week in March for one week at Texas Rangers spring training in Florida and I was worried about losing my place on the list.
Thank you Outlaw. The 950 is almost here.:)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
DBT said:
(Italian on my mother's side.)
I told you I was an old fart.
:laugh:
On a slightly more serious note, Yes, we are comparing the 950 with the more expensive pre/pros and the high end receivers. I think that was made abundantly clear by the beta testers. It really does belong in that company, in my opinion.
And the nice thing is that you can choose to believe it or not. You don't have to believe what we've said - audition one yourself. It's far more productive to critique a product than a newsletter, and that day will be here very soon - assuming you got on the waiting list, and assuming that you care. Otherwise, what was the point of your post?
:confused:
Reminder: Tonight is "Toga Night"
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I am just getting sick of the same old people claiming why the Outlaw is so inferior to their new product.
Jed, I agree with pretty much all of what you said except for the above quote. The people who have been critical of the Outlaw for whatever reason are not using the word INFERIOR in their analysis. Try DIFFERENT. People who are on this board who are going a different direction are doing so because of things they need/want in a pre/pro that the Outlaw does not or cannot deliver. This is not a knock on Outlaw, just an observation. If you wanted a hatchback and I tried to sell you my 4-door, no matter what the 0-60 time is on my 4 door or how well it handles, you simply are not going to buy my car from me because it doesn't have a hatchback. People not buying the Outlaw are not critical of it's performance (after all, only 4 people in the entire world really know how good that performance really is). They are just going in another direction for various reasons.

It's just as annoying for those of us NOT getting the Outlaw to hear from hundreds of rabid supporters how our decision making process MUST be skewed due to the fact we are not going to try this revolutionary product. I constantly read mocking posts saying stuff like "I just realized the Outlaw doesn't accept voice recognition, so I'm going to get the Lexicon now." It seems that there are two camps not getting the Outlaw. Those who bash the business processes of the company and those who point out the shortcomings of the 950. Please do not group the two together.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
My only quandry is if I will order the 950 with the 770 amp or the 755 amp? The 950 with the 770 seems a little better deal since you save almost $200. But I wonder if the new 755 will be a slightly better amp? It's interesting to me how Outlaw put two more channels into the 770 but the dimensions are exactly that of the 755? The 770 weighs
12 lbs more but you would think it would also have to be a little bigger?
Oh well, I'm extremely excited about the 950's release, just hope I pre-ordered soon enough to be among the first group. ;)

Luis M

Second Unit
I say, those who have the big bucks for the high end stuff.. enjoy it, I would if I could also buy me one of those exeptional pre/pro monsters. Mean-while we children of the less fortunate would like to at least enjoy these pieces of morssels from the "higher end'.

One suggestion, instead of killing time with the Outlaws.. I'd warm up my $3,000 pre/pro and start enjoying it.

For one,I'm getting me a 950/755 combo and waisting no time bashing somebody else's system after I get it. oooo...one more thing. Can you guys change the green thingys from the damm thing?.

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
John,
you are entitled to your opinion but you already have your Outlaw 950 don't you!
Bitchin and complaining may be the case but blah blah blah, some of us have been waiting since before XMas and are continuing to wait patiently. I personally am not making a big issue here (i am use to this by now:D), yes sometimes the complaining can be repetitive but Outlaw claiming that the 950 SHOULD be shipping within the next 3 weeks everytime a newletter comes out gets annoying rather quickly. In the February newsletter, Outlaw clearly stated that the next email was going to be in relation to order confirmation for the 950 and when i saw the email from Outlaw in my browser i was thinking FINALLY!! just to receive yet another newsletter saying that the 950 SHOULD be shipping sometime in March(another 3 weeks or so).
You have a processor (maybe two) for your system, some of us have nothing. Of course you can take things lightly because you have your home theater as a retreat. Home theater is my hobby like so many others on this forum, i decided long ago that i would be purchasing the 950 but in the process had NO IDEA that i would be kept from enjoying my hobby for such a lengthly period of time. I would have bought a cheap receiver in the interim while waiting for the Outlaw had i known what i know today. Too late for that now unless the April newsletter provided more of the same.
Anyways, if you don't like people complaining then by all means ignore it! Not everybody can be happy happy joy joy like you. You are not suffering from Home Theater deprivation like many of us are! Nuff said!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Anton- Outlaw vs Rotel:
The Outlaw has better DACs and ADCs. The Rotel has the volume knob/noise floor problem. The Rotel has no distance or delay setting for the mains. The Rotel has no direct analog path for 2 channel stereo inputs, and the Outlaw does. The Outlaw has bass management for the 5.1 analog inputs.
That's what *I've* gathered from all the recents posts.
Hmmmm... And the Outlaw is cheaper.
I'm personally kind of disappointed in the Rotel. It *does* look better after all. ;)
I know what I'm going to get, and I'm not going to complain about it either... :D

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Evan, well put. I agree and maybe my post came off as too harsh. Its just that I have read posts of people describing how terrible their systems sound when they change the delay a milisecond to prove how important it is. To me that suggests the outlaw is inferior to anything that does not offer such a simple feature. I don't even want to give my opinion on this since I believe it has been discussed previously, I am just trying to let you see how I was reading it. Perhaps I was looking too hard sometimes. I have been reading HTF for a lot longer than Ive been registered and I know you are an original outlaw supporter, in fact one of the most die hard it seemed. I understand why you got the Anthem, that thing is beautiful. I know you are not trying to justify it, there is no need to. I know there are two groups but both of the points have been made. What do I think about their business practices? Its irrelevant I guess. It just seems to me that the people who work at outlaw, who I don't know from a hole in the wall, are very responsive to the their customers and potential customers. They actually listen to them. I am not a rah rah type of guy but in this case I have a hard time getting mad at these guys. I just think its directed at the wrong people. It just seems to me that these guys are on our side and they have made some mistakes, I dont know, I guess nice guys do finish last sometimes. I figure I will get the outlaw and see how I like it. In a way I do see it as upgradeable because at that price I can afford to upgrade much sooner, which I always like :D Either way, the new delay is a bummer and hopefully it will all be over soon, but history does not hold well. On a side note I know you will love the Anthem, the silver is drop dead gorgeous. I thought about looking into your group buy which I still question if I did the right thing, but I guess being from Vegas I had to gamble on the longshot. :) Anyway I apologize if that first post came off as too sarcastic. On a real side note, do you live around East Berlin? Just curious because I have family up there.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Jed,

Manchester is about 20 minutes from East Berlin. The Berlin/Newington/Rocky Hill area is on the west side of the CT River and south of Hartford ... Manchester is east fo the River and of Hartford. Easy to get between the two tho ... From the Berlin area take Rt 15 (aka: Berlin Turnpike) to I-91N, go over the Charter Oak Bridge to I84E and Manchester's only one town away.

Even,

Is your Anthem dealer local? I just moved from South Windsor to Manchester (over by MCC) two weeks ago.

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
John,

i apologise for my outburst earlier but my patience regarding the 950 is running very short. I'm sick and tired of complaining, having other people complain and having other people complaining about forum members complaining in relation to the 950.

Seeing that this processor is as good as i had hoped for taking into account reviews from beta testers just adds fuel to the fire in my case; i can't wait to get this processor!

If the 950 were a mediocre piece then many of us would be looking elsewhere but this seems far from the truth so the wait continues and hopefully THIS TIME the 950 will be shipping in 3 weeks or SOONER.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks