Here's something that doesn't happen every day: A new CD from Boston!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Nov 4, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Something that pleased me greatly as I perused yesterday's weekly Best Buy flier is that a new CD from Boston will be out tomorrow (Tuesday, November 5th). It will be entitled Corporate America. If you are a big Boston fan like me, you have been waiting for a new album from Boston for a long time, as their last album, Walk On, came out in 1994. O.K., we did get Greatest Hits with a couple new songs a few years ago, but that's not the same as a new album. Finally, a new album is here.
    I thought this album might have come out in 2000. Back in May 2000, I visited a friend from graduate school, who was living in Utah at the time. We were driving around taking in the beautiful scenery with a Salt Lake City classic rock station playing in the background. Right after Boston's classic "Peace of Mind" concluded, the DJ came on, announced the song, and said, "I'll be looking for the new album from Boston this summer. Should be great." So, I waited, and waited, and waited.... I checked the official Boston web site a few times over the past couple of years and read of delays, but nothing specific. In any event, Corporate America should be here tomorrow. Hopefully it will be a good album.
    With Corporate America coming out tomorrow, Boston will have released just five studio albums since 1976. So, Boston doesn't turn out new material merely every day. Cherish the moment and pick up Corporate America. You never know when (and if) Boston will put out another album. Looking at the release dates below, I'm thinking another Boston album might come out in 2010. Check this out:
    Title (year of release)
    Boston (1976)
    Don't Look Back (1978)
    Third Stage (1986)
    Walk On (1994)
    Corporate America (2002)
    So, Boston seems to be on an eight-year schedule of late. Look for another album from Boston in 2010. [​IMG]

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I was just about to post about this here after browsing ebay. Count me as another Boston fan looking forward to this release. I'm sure if Tom had his way, (this is a fact) Don't Look Back would have taken him a lot longer to release, so he may have started this process a lot earlier. I guess I should hunt down the website, but any word who is doing vocals on this one?

I also saw that there is at least one Return To Zero CD out, and I'm wondering if Barry Goudreau's solo album has ever made it to CD?
    EDIT: and a quick search reveals it has, along with Orion the Hunter.

I'm not too sure about the title track from the new Boston CD, and the new lineup should be interesting. While I suspect that I won't like the new album as much as the classics, I will be supporting Tom. After all, he has been a major influence in my career...some would say too much judging by the timelines!

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, Boston, and Tom Scholz especially, were disappointed with how Don't Look Back turned out and were especially upset with Epic for pushing them to complete it so quickly. I believe that was the reason that Boston sought to leave Epic and move to MCA (Universal). The reason that Third Stage took so long to come out (1986 after Don't Look Back had come out in 1978) was that Boston had been tied up in court over contractual obligations with Epic. If you have read the liner notes for Third Stage, you know that most of the songs were recorded well before the album was released in 1986, meaning they were recorded before Boston had their label dispute settled. That explains the delay between Don't Look Back and Third Stage.
    What I don't know is why another eight years passed before Walk On came out and yet another eight years passed before Corporate America was offered (assuming it comes out tomorrow). I know there were personnel changes between Third Stage and Walk On, and Boston has had a lot of personnel changes over the years. Perhaps that explains the extensive time lapses between albums.
    By the way, here is the band line-up for Corporate America, as read on www.boston.org :
    Brad Delp
    Tom Scholz
    Kimberley Dahme
    Fran Cosmo
    Anthony Cosmo
    Gary Pihl
    Kimberley Dahme is the first female artist to perform on a Boston album. Also, Anthony Cosmo is Fran Cosmo's son. For more on Corporate America, go to:
    http://boston.org/press/

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Yes, I knew about the Don't Look Back situation, hence my comment. I know what making albums the way Tom does is like from personal experience - that's why it takes eight years.

I don't think the production speed issue was why they left, at least not about DLB. The problem arose when Epic starting withholding payments for royalties that had already sold in an effort to get Tom to hurry up with Third Stage. Tom felt that progress, however slow, was fulfilling his contract (he was also doing the whole SR&D thing at the time). Epic disagreed. They wound up in court over it, and when I spoke with Brad Delp about it, he said they were owed somewhere in the neighborhood of $30M in royalties. I hope Tom was victorious in court.

5. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Any chance of SACD?[​IMG]

6. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Hey, this is cool. I never even expected another Boston album after Walk On. I've got to run to Best Buy!

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    jeff what is sr&d
    i remember hearing amanda in 1984 and wondering why it quickly dissapeared from the airwaves.

i love the first 2 albums and don't think they are nearly as good without barry Goudreau.
    i have barry's albums and i think i have them all, and they are on cd.
    i think return to zero is my favorite, and i think these cd's sound more like the origional boston sound then boston has after the second album.

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

SR&D is Scholz Research & Development, the company Tom founded which made among other things, the Rockman, which dominates all the later Boston albums, and thousands of other records.
    Goudreau had very little to do with Boston's sound (read Tom's letter at www.boston.org). I think it was more a case of trying to sound like Boston to cash in on the success. I'll have to track down the CDs. I haven't heard any of that stuff sine the 1980s.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, thanks for the information. These situations get reported in many different ways. I trust your story more than mine since you actually spoke to Brad Delp. [​IMG]
    I have a Barry Goudreau solo album on CD. It came out in the early '80s and has Goudreau pictured on the cover in black and white. It's O.K. I have yet to get the Return to Zero CDs, though as a Boston fan, I've been wanting them for awhile.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

FYI, K-Mart will have the Corporate America CD for $10.99 this week!

11. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Kieth, the majority of that story was in Guitar Player when Third Stage was released. I was fortunate enough to get backstage when Boston played here and briefly chatted with Tom and Brad. I was then promptly ushered out. [​IMG]
    As the story goes, Tom was relatively happy with side one of DLB, but wasn't as happy with side two. I thought the album was a masterpiece top to bottom, so just goes to show you how the talent is never satified with what the audience loves.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, great story. I saw Boston in concert in '94 on the Walk On tour. They were great. No backstage pass, though. [​IMG] Anyway, I have always read that Tom Scholz had very high standards for his recordings. That's great to see.

13. charles white

charles white Second Unit

Their debut album was the 3rd record I had ever bought and wished I had kept it. It was in bad shape from all the playings and it had 3 scratches in it. While I don't particularly care about their(Tom's) political or ethical stands(the same goes for my other fav band U2 who also has a new double CD coming out the same day), I buy this CD w/out hearing a single note! That record was finally replaced by the
    Sony gold Mastersound CD. Here's a mystery worth asking-Epic Records had, for years, a Boston live album Arrival listed in its catalog but never saw the light of day.

14. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Jeff,

I agree about DLB--I think it's their best album.

15. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I picked up Corporate America today at K-Mart for just $10.99. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. All I can say at this point is that this album has great Boston artwork, as I have come to expect from them. I would love to have a large poster of the back cover artwork. It is beautiful.
    Here's a bit of irony. In gearing up for picking up Corporate America today, I went on eBay in search of the out-of-print Return to Zero and Orion the Hunter CDs before heading to work. I found several copies of the first Return to Zero CD available, so I bookmarked several auctions. Well, over lunch, I went into a used CD store and found a copy of the Return to Zero debut CD for $5.99. It's mine! I listened to part of it at work, and it is pretty good. I don't think it is as good as Boston's efforts, but it is good. Of course, Brad Delp's vocals are excellent. Without listening to the entire CD yet, I really like "All You've Got". I hope to listen to the entire CD tonight.
    For the record, my favorite Boston album is still the debut album. Part of that is due to sentimental reasons. My brother bought the LP in 1976 when I was just six, and it is one of the first albums I remember becoming familiar with (knowing all the songs and connecting the songs with the artist). Also, I wore out a pre-recorded cassette of Boston in high school. Finally, Boston was the first CD I ever bought, which was back in 1987. I never tire of that album. I now have it on CD (US and UK versions and MasterSound gold CD), pre-recorded cassette, pre-recorded minidisc, SACD, and vinyl (MFSL and Japanese versions). [​IMG]
    Charles said:

17. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I agree it was pretty cool of Tom to accomodate a very obvious fan - I probably surprised him a bit, as I gave him a copy of my band's LP in thanks for the influence his music had played in my development as a musician, engineer and producer, instead of plaguing him for autographs. Both heand Brad were very down to earth. At the time we were negotiating with Epic, which was kind of funny in hindsight. I'll have to remember not to mention to the head of A&R that one of my favorite bands is the one his label is in litigation with...[​IMG]
    I'm listening to the new album now, and am of mixed feelings. Corporate America is growing on me, but there are some decidely non Boston tunes here, and a couple that are a bit too familiar sounding (Didn't Mean to Fall in Love). Turn it Off is cool. I'll have to let it sink in a bit more. Still not a huge fan of Tom's later drum sounds.
    I agree with disliking the overtness of the philosophical angle, but appreciate the intent. Someone has to speak up about this stuff.
    Of course, I also managed to pick up a few other goodies while shopping that I hadn't planned on: the remastered Scorpions - Taken by Force (C$7!), a pair of BOC (Tyranny and Mutation, Secret Treaties) and Kansas-Leftoverture.
    I haven't bought this much music in years, and I can't believe the normal selling prices now.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff said:

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Well, I started listening to Corporate America. Does anyone else hear static in the background through much of "I Had A Good Time" (track 1)? I know there is nothing wrong with my system. Anyway, I don't hear the static on the next track, "Stare Out Your Window". I am listening to my main system, which is quite revealing. As a result, I hear static (pops or buzzing) in a number of recordings on this system. There is nothing wrong with the system because I always hear the static on my second system and even on a boombox in the kitchen. Since the main system is the most revealing, I hear the static there first and then confirm that it is the disc by playing it on other equipment. In any event, I assume the static I am hearing on track 1 of Corporate America is inherent, meaning that I did not get a bad disc. I am now listening to track 3, "Corporate America", and do not hear any static.

In listening to the first three tracks, I have to say that the sound quality of this disc is lacking. The vocals are edgy with some glare. I find the sound to be a bit compressed as well. This disc does not seem to be a sonic masterpiece. The music thus far is very Boston.

20. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer