Heres some internal pics of the Outlaw 950

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Ball, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Craig: Wow, they look like the mock up pics that were used when the 950 made its' first debut back at the show. If you compare them to the new pics on the Outlaw site, there have been quite a few changes to the unit since then...

3. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I wasn't sure John, because I saw the DTS ES symbol on the front. And this was the last minute upgrade to the 950.

Craig

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

5. Johnny Lerner

It was Dolby EX that was added

Now it's the 9th Dec. It's OK with me if the 950 would be coming in even February. But it would be nice to hear SOMETHING!

By the way, for a pre-pro usually - is it possible to adjust the output level to each power amp channel separately? I would think this necessary as I can see a lot of people using a combination of amp channels while saving for the 770 - even 3 different stereo amps.

?

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Johnny: Yes, of course. The speaker level of each speaker is independently set via the setup menu of the pre/pro. Most pre/pros allow a variation of 6dB, or more, among the speakers. This is usually more than what is needed in most HTs. You will also be allowed to set each speaker up for the delay needed to compensate for the distance from your sweet spot that each speaker is located. Not many of us have HTs that allow for an equidistant seat from all speakers.

7. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

John (and others), you seem to be waiting for this product so I have a quick question. I've had a DB930 for a while now and is probably due for an upgrade. The 950 has peaked my interest and I would like to learn more. How will my system change with a 950...will I need to toss the 930 out and buy a seperate amp? How will you intergrate your 950? Thanks.

8. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

When you say a DB930, do you mean the Sony Receiver? If so, the Outlaw 950 is a pre amp/ processor which will require you to get 5 channels of amplification in order to enjoy multi-channel discs.

You won't have to get rid of your DB930 but you won't be able to use it the with your Outlaw 950. They basically do the same thing except that one has it's own amplification and the other one doesn't.

Now as far as features go, I'll let the "die hards" chime in on that note.

9. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Thanks Martice. yes, I'm talking about the Sony DB930. I'm still trying to get the understanding of this pre/pre concept down. So is the tuner the only thing I would lose going from the DB930 to the Outalw 950?

10. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

11. Johnny Lerner

You don't lose any tuner! The 950 has one!

There is some REAL STUPIDITY going on among manufacturers and they are SHOOTING THEIR OWN FOOT!

in the 'old' days the terminology was pretty damn clear what you were getting as per the classication of a pirece of equipment.

A receiver was ... A tuner was .. A power amp was ... A preamp/tuner was ...

Now manufacturers are being so DAMNED STUPID they are putting tuners in and forgetting to think how the consumer is supposed to KNOW it! (Outlaw is NOT alone).

It is supposed to be called a 'pre-pro/tuner' or some such. The companies that just leave the tuner out and selling 'pre-pros' under the present terminology can make out like bandits!

This has to be the 4th or 5th time I've seen it assumed the 950 does NOT have a tuner!

12. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

Craig,
    They are quite authentic. I first posted them on November 12th ...

13. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Drew - does your Sony DB930 have external 5.1 inputs? If it does, you could use that as an amp with the 950, at least until you can get/afford dedicated amp/amps.

The 950, coupled with an amp, will give you the same functionality as your DB930 plus more (DD-EX, DTS-ES, DPLII, etc.), plus (presumably) better sound quality.

KJP