What's new

Here's New Info on Classic Twilight Zone re-release (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Eric, I'd probably say I'm "reasonably satisfied" with my current collection too, especially considering the fact that they're showing their age within the life of the DVD format. :D However, many early DVDs are being revisited these days, usually with incredible boosts in quality. The current TZ DVDs are okay, admittedly better than the hacked-up syndicated versions on TV, but certainly nothing breathtaking. Each episode will now be available in brand-new high-def editions, which should be stunning to behold. For me, that's reason to celebrate (and damn it, I'll find a way to afford them). Commentaries? Frosting on the cake. In chronological order? Nice. They might even include Serling's "next week on The Twilight Zone" promos!

God, each season will be under $100 at retail. That's unreasonable? How spoiled we've become. The more I think about it, the more excited I become, the more I anticipate the hours I'll spend with these sets... well, the price suddenly seems more than reasonable. Are the new releases for the casual fan? Probably not. I'm sure Image knows that many people who bought the earlier sets WON'T double dip... hence the higher price.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, they will contain the original Rod Serling-narrated "Next Week on The Twilight Zone" previews...they were downright creepy! And also, it would be nice to include some of the weird bumpers as extras.....pictures of a barren landscape with "The Twilight Zone" superimposed, while strange music plays....good stuff!

Plus.....all episodes without that stupid airdate info superimposed over the image, like was done on the pilot episode and others on "Treasures from the Twilight Zone."

And hopefully, Night of the Meek will contain Serling's Christmas greetings at the end.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member

Craig, the point is that the price is well out of line with other products in the current marketplace. Not to mention that it's a double-dip where many people have already shelled out $500+ for the current editions.

-Dave

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Then skip it. Don't buy it. Exercise your rights as consumers and spend your money elsewhere.

However....

The current collection, viewed as a whole, is lackluster. There's no getting around it. The earlier volumes look like hell! Pop in "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street" (volume 2) and see what I mean. I watched it this morning, and it was just plain ugly... artifacts galore, poor contrast, blurry... Damn, what a sight. The initial volumes were released very early on in the Age of DVD, and it shows. They're careless digital versions of the previously-released VHS editions. For the record, I also watched "The Rip Van Winkle Caper" (volume 36) and it looked pretty decent, since by then Image had taken over the reins from Panasonic and actually used film elements instead of tape masters. Frankly, if Image chose to simply redo the earlier volumes to bring them up to par with the later volumes, I'd be ecstatic. I've certainly double dipped on other titles: CASABLANCA, A CHRISTMAS STORY, and TERMINATOR 2, just to name a few, and all of them were well worth the upgrade. Image could've done that.

However....

They've opted instead to revisit the entire series, to treat each episode with the same care and respect. If that USA Today article is accurate, then the new editions will stand head, shoulders and torso above any previous home video incarnation of the series, as well as besting anything ever broadcast over the airwaves. That's huge! And creating new high-def masters of 156 episodes MUST be costing them a great deal of money, not to mention assembling all the extras. Do I wish the new season sets were cheaper? Of course! But keep in mind, we don't even have an official press release from Image with an official MSRP. For all we know, it'll be lower. But even if it isn't... well, I'll still pay. I bought every single volume the first time around (before the five collections were released, mind you), mostly out of love for the series, but also to support Image's commitment to getting every single episode released. I view the upcoming releases in much the same way. Yeah, I'll buy 'em.

However...

You may not. You may choose not to "double dip." And hey, that's fine. But I believe you'll be missing out on something very special. I for one applaud Image for this latest TZ-on-DVD endeavor, irregardless of how much I'll pay.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I almost wonder if Image put the $120 price "out there" (via USA Today) to guage consumer reaction.

I'm not a rabid TZ fan so I didn't pick up on this at first, but after doing some quick research I realized that these sets will be $50 higher than the MSRP of another series of the same vintage that Image also handles: "Dick Van Dyke" (MSRP = $70). The Van Dyke seasons were of a comparable number of episodes and were also a half hour long which TZ was for most of its run. Certainly the Van Dyke boxes have been lauded for their voluminous extras and great PQ. One wonders what drove TZ to be so much more expensive.

Steve

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
What's wrong with you Guys? Bend over and spread 'em IMAGE is banging you in your POCKETBOOK! They've made a TON of CASH already! Double dipping is acceptable for a single or double DVD release. A COMPLETE SERIES is outrageous! 3 TIMES?!?!?! If they weren't ANIMALS, why did they just put out the series again in BOXSETS? ONlY to announce ANOTHER re-release AGAIN? I hope they go out of business and a decent company takes up the slack.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to buy these! I knew the original releases were sub-par and I didn't want to settle...I am so glad I waited...sometimes it helps to be picky. I am also picking a set up for my sister, who loves TZ!!!!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
LOL Chas.....I would if I could, Man. I think everyone needs to see TZ in the best possible format. And I don't think it is Image's fault that they now have a way of making these shows even better. If I had bought the other sets, I would sell them.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Just the menus alone on the current editions warrant a double dip. Craptastic stuff. Finally the series is getting the respect and care it deserves. I just hope this will be the definitive sets, with every piece of extra matterial possible. With the large price tag attached, I hopeing this is indeed the case.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Wouldn't it be great if the sound were to be re-mastered to 5.1 surround? Hey if they're remastering the image, may as well tinker with the audio too and offer us a choice of original mono or 5.1 surround. At least that would give us a newer perspective on the show, which may entice us to splurge for the price of the set. Anyone agree?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I've never heard good 5.1 sound come from a mono source. The SNL 25 Years of Music featured some pretty brutal 5.1 mixes from mono.

Gord

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I just hope "high definition transfer" doesn't mean they're going to be using transfers made for HD-TV anc cropped to 16:9, as has happened with the "high def" transfer of WB's Kung Fu...

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Ooooh good point. No way would I buy that cropped out crap if that's the case. Since it IS being remastered in Hi-Def, sounds like this set of TZ merits waiting for reviews of the final product before plunking down the big bucks. Sorry, but I want the show to look like it did when originally shown, not this 16:9 cropped crap like Kung Fu.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a rabid fan of TZ, but I do like it. I managed to buy two of the previous box sets, so I'd like to be able to unload them and get some cash back before dipping again into the new "season sets".

And yeah, $120 is high.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Sorry I'll still pass I love the one but $120 retail on 36 episodes? I'm still watching my 30 episode Have Gun Will Travel box I paid $34 for. I know Twilight Zone and Paladin are two different beasts , but that retail is far too high.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This irritates me tremendously, and as much as I would love to buy completely remastered sets w extras, I have already double-dipped on this set by buying the original Jewel boxed set and then the complete sets that were issued only 1-1/2 years ago. If these sets are coming out later this year, then the remastering was more than likely in process while they were issuing the last sets, which in my book is a gouge.

Unless, I can dupe someone into buying my current sets for at least 95% of what I spent on them, then this is a definite no-go. Hell, I still own the original Jewel boxed set that I haven't been able to sell.

Also, I'm concerned about the term hi-def as that means 16x9 to many people and if these turn out to be cropped, then I will be enraged, so I'll definitely be holding on to my current sets until the first remasters show up and then the odds are highly against me triple-dipping.

By the way, this is my favorite TV series of all time, but that doesn't mean I'll submit to this crap.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Having never seen much of the original series, I was interested in getting the new season sets, but not at that price. No way that I can afford $120 per season...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks