Here's my speakers, recommend a receiver, please..

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JustinHa, Aug 25, 2005.

1. JustinHa

JustinHa Auditioning

Just bought some secondhand speakers from a coworker. Here's what I have:

2-Infinity Reference 2000.5 Front Speakers
    1-Infinity CC-2 Center-Channel Speaker
    1-Infinity BU-1 Subwoofer

I'm looking for an affordable ($200-300-ish), but good quality receiver that will push these speakers nicely. I have an RCA TV (27V530T) for my visual output (with plans to eventually upgrade, just no need at this point), and my inputs include a Phillips Progressive Scan DVD/CD/MP3 player, a VCR (for the old VHS's), an X-Box, and the cable plugs (screws) directly into the TV at this point.

I'm very apt at electronics and have set up several simple home theater systems for my parents and myself, but i'm 100% amateur (and not afraid to admit it!), so I need some advice about mating these new speakers with an appropriate receiver...PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance!

2. JustinHa

JustinHa Auditioning

::BUMP::

No one has any advice for a newbie amateur?? After 40+ views, does anyone have these speakers?? If so, what receiver/amp do you use? Do you like?

More in general, can anyone give me leads on what features/specs I should look for in a receiver that will be optimal performance + price for these speakers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I couldn't find any meaningful specs for those speakers, except that the 2000.5s are towers. Do you know any specs for them? How big is your room? My concern would be that a $300 receiver won't cut it for them, but as long as you have the sub and cross them over at 80Hz or higher, you will probably be OK.

New or used for the receiver? You could get a higher model used vs new. In the $300-ish range, I might suggest the Onkyo TX-SR502 or 503.

4. JustinHa

JustinHa Auditioning

The speaker's specs, as I have available with me here at work, are as follows:

the 2000.5's: 15 ~ 175 Watts, 38 ~ 20,000 Hz, 90 dB spl Sensitivity, 8 ohms impedence...the woofer is 6.5", the tweeter is 1".

The CC-2: 10 ~ 100 Watts, 90 ~ 20,000 Hz, 90 db @ 2.83 V, 8 ohms impedence...it has 2 5.25" woofers and .5" tweeter.

I don't have the specs on the (Infinity BU-1) sub with me here, but I know its an 8" powered sub and I want to say it has 4 ohms of impedence, but maybe its 8 ohms..

Do these speakers sound pretty decent? I'm familiar with Infinity's impressive reputation in car audio, but know nothing about their home theater speakers/components.

Any more suggestions/ideas/questions?

I really appreciate the help, John, thanks!

5. John Garcia

John
    I've always liked Infinity's car speakers. I have a set of Kappas in my car right now [​IMG] Their home speakers are pretty good too, so I would say they're fine, though I haven't heard these particular ones. 90dB efficient is good. The 2000.5s look like they have good extension, and seem like you will want a little more power to drive them. The CC-2 seems like it is going to probably lack on the bottom end, so it is going to need to be crossed over higher than 80Hz. I would look into a receiver that has flexible bass management.

The 50x from Onkyo might not be enough to get the most out of the mains, so you might look for a TX-SR601 used, and also the offerings from Harman Kardon (AVR-235 or 225). I'd check all the standard recommendations too: Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, etc...

Sub's impedance won't be an issue, because it has it's own amp.

If you are not adverse to refurbed, some good deals on Marantz can be found at www.ac4l.com , Harman Kardon can be found directly at www.harmanaudio.com , and Denon at www.ecost.com .

6. JustinHa

JustinHa Auditioning

I am not at all adverse to refurbished hardware--is there any reason to be? I agree, much more bang for your buck on refurbed!

Just curious, though, when you said "The CC-2 seems like it is going to probably lack on the bottom end, so it is going to need to be crossed over higher than 80Hz." Can you explain that a little more? By "bottom end" are you talking about the low tones? If so, won't the sub handle all the lows? I'm probably just confused, and I'm sure I should be embarrassed by my amateur questions, but I sure do appreciate getting all the info I can!

Thanks again, John!

7. John Garcia

John
    Yes, the lower frequencies. With a low extension of 90Hz, if you use a lower crossover that would better suit the 2000.5s like 80Hz, there will be a "gap" below 90Hz for the center because the CC-2 will drop off rapidly due to the 80Hz x-over. This will create a dip in frequencies between the center and where the sub picks up the handed off frequencies, and this could affect the clarity of the sound of the center. Even crossing that speaker at 100Hz may not solve the problem, though it should help, and it will probably still work adequately for the 2000.5s.

The newer H/Ks have the ability to tailor x-over to certain speakers on some models, I'm not sure which, but that might be a feature you'd want to have to help minimize this situation. For example: if you could set one x-over (100Hz) for the center and a lower one for the mains (80Hz), that would probably be a good thing to have. Maybe some H/K owners will chime in to let you know which models have that feature and if any can do what I mentioned.

8. JustinHa

JustinHa Auditioning

John, you keep coming through like a champ! [​IMG] Thanks!

Yes, does anyone have any receivers that they can recommend that will do what John was describing? I'd prefer refurbished, but anything $300-ish, new or used, will suit my finances.

Thanks again!

9. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

Get the best H/K refurb you can afford

10. JustinHa

JustinHa Auditioning

Ok, now I have another question that I'm sure some of you pros will laugh out loud at, but I gotta ask..

If I get an amp that is 7.1 or 6.1 digital (or even 5.1), but at this point I only have 3.1 of the speakers (see my first post above). Can I just use the 3 speakers + 1 sub on an amp that's designed for 7 or 6 (or 5) channels?

Follow up question: If this is compatible, will the wattage to the channels I'm actually using be higher than, say 55W (if the specs for the receiver are: 7 x 55W per channel, for example)??

Thanks, ya'll!

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Justin,

On the using 3.1 on a 7.1 receiver (or 6.1 or 5.1) the answer is yes. It will work fine. Just be sure to set up the receiver correctly for 'no rears' and it should know what to do.

For the wattage question, probably not. There are receivers that will group used channels together to get higher wattage, but at $300 it's unlikely. Most likely scenario is that whatever extra channels exist beyond L/R/C will lie dormant until you connect something to them.

I would single out 5.1 receivers and go for the best one you can afford. Typically, in a certain size receiver there is so much room for the amps. If you divide that space by 5 instead of 7 channels, there is more 'oomph' available for each channel. A good way to find a quality 5.1 receiver for $300 would be to target older (3-4 years) models for each manufactor. Denon, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo, Yamaha all made awesome receiver 3-4 years ago that go for fractions of the initial cost but still sound just as good as ever. Just make sure the one you snag can handle digital audio inputs and you are good.

All IMHO, but isn't that what this forum is about?

12. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    It depends on who you ask! [​IMG] Sorry, a bad attempt at a little humor from another thread. But you are absolutely right.

13. JustinHa

JustinHa Auditioning

Thanks for the info!

14. Gavin_mi

Gavin_mi Stunt Coordinator

that HK 7300 for $1k is an AMAZING deal, that is a flagship receiver from HK for under 1k...nice didnt know that was a feature on the HK site, ty for the link John.

Gavin