What's new

Here's my proposal for renaming landmarks (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think we should get rid of the "leaning" in "Leaning Tower of Pisa" and rename everything else as "straight" such as "Straight Eiffel Tower", "Straight Washington Monument", "Straight Giza Pyamid" or "The Straight Great Wall of China", etc...

Discuss!

Jay

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I say go with the highest bidder.

Just imagine...."The Intel Golden Gate Bridge", "The GM Washington Monument", or perhaps "The Verizon Great Wall of China". The possibility is limitless.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Please prepare for our landing in Tanzania...
I'm sorry, it is now called "New Zanzibar"
Excuse me. It is now called "Pepsi presents New Zanzibar."

-The Simpsons

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Now, why rub it in to Italy that the rest of the world built their momuments properly? :D Calling it "the straight Eiffel Tower" would just be pouring salt on the wound :p)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
The Tower of Pisa is straight....except it's leaning.

Go with "The Upright Eiffel Tower", or maybe "The Upright Washington Monument", etc....

John Watson

Screenwriter
Maybe the Tower is straight up, but the ground is tilted?

I know for sure that the Great Wall of China actually meanders up and down and around.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Considering the Earth is round, there's probably a point where (if you could see it), the tower would be parallel with the horizon.

It's not leaning, it's just in the wrong place. :D

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
How in the world can we have a 'straight' Eiffel Tower in a city that was once known as being 'gay'?

Glenn

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
"The Straight Great Wall of China"
The "great wall" of China is an incredible misnomer. First, there isn't a great "wall", there are many great "Walls", dozens of them. And they do not encircle the whole country.
The great walls of China are not straight, they meander about and form a kind of rough outline to ancient Chinas waring "states".
The great wall cannot be scene from space. Its roughly 30' wide and at standard earth orbit the naked eye cannot see the city of London, let alone a wall (This fact from former NASA astronaut Buzz Aldrin).

However, if your going to rename something. Rename every street in the world. Starting on a northwestern point of a grid, and moving southeasterly, name every street on a plane after a even number, streets moving on an alternate plane will have odd number names. Streets that move diagonally of the normal "grid" street structure will be ripped-up to create more uniform blocks of Urbanity (I just made that word up :D ). This will make navigation in any city of the world simple to everyone, and give immigrant taxi drivers and dim pizza delivery boys a leg up.
Just to prevent confusion with the new street system, all highways, county routes, biways, interstates, and throughways will then be renamed in proper Algebraic formula

Example: I-81 would become X=(9*1)(9*1)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
maybe we can get a network to send a team of gay hairdressers to remake the "leaning tower of Pisa" into something more pleasing to the eye:D

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
They call it the Leaning Tower of Pisa so as not to confuse it with the Tower of Pisa which is down the street and to the left 3 blocks. In fact, that's why they made it lean in the first place... so they could tell them apart (and also so Gallileo could do his gravity experiments).

Too many people were saying "I'll meet you at the Tower of Pisa" and then going to the wrong one.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Thus they should be the "d4 Giza Pyramids" (Only the truly nerdy will get this joke).
The pyramids are not tetrahedrons though, if you counted the base they'd have five sides and only 4 of those sides would be the same shape as each other.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
lets call it the geometrically challenged yet still capeable tower of Piza. Brought to you by Dominos

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks