Here's my idea

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Reyes, Dec 31, 2001.

1. James Reyes

James Reyes Stunt Coordinator

I want to integrate a PC into my HT. I was thinking of buying a second PC to put in my HT equipment rack and use the TV (HD 1080i) as the monitor and have a wireless KB and mouse. I would network this PC with my existing PC which would function as a server for music and video files as well as a shared broadband Internet connection. I would use a USB sound amp off the PC and run it into my AV receiver. I could play my MP3's and surf the web, etc. on my TV. What do you think?

2. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

its called HTPC..
    I don't network with another computer though..but I use my HTPC for just about everything. everything you have mentioned works.
    I would get a sound card (PCI) rather than a USB solution. You may want to consider the Soyo Dragon Plus motherboard for AMD Athlon CPUs. onboard NIC with onboard sound unit which will be able to send DVD Dolby and DTS out to your receiver, as well as PCM over digital connection for MP3 and windows sounds, etc.
    for video card you can use a Radeon of any model.. with the Radeon VE (dual-head display) being the one that doesn't offer the same picture quality as the others.
    a good source of information is www.avsforum.com . you could probably get the same information from here though if you asked, or used the search function. I don't go to that site anymore because the owner is not professional.

3. James Reyes

James Reyes Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Hugh for your reply. What Raedeon card would you recommend?

4. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

if you do any gaming then go for a Radeon 8500. Very fast card..

If you do a little gaming and aren't in need of blazing framerates, then go for a Radeon 64DDR VIV0. You could also go with a Radeon 32 of any sort, but who knows, maybe you'll catch a gaming bug at some point, and the 64DDR isn't that expensive.

you always should buy retail versions and make sure that it is "Built by ATI", not just "Powered by ATI"