Here's a tuff one.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by chris bruce, Aug 27, 2005.

1. chris bruce

chris bruce Stunt Coordinator

I want to try and connect a home subwoofer I have that is serving no purpose, to my home computer. Those little subwoofers you get with the pc's don't cut it. Can I do this? The connection comming out of the computer is the jack that a portable cd player has to accept the headphones. Thanks

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

You could head to Radio Shack and see if they have a:

- Mini stereo plug to RCA adapter

The mini plug end should just feature one plug, but the RCA end would then feature 2 plugs - a left and a right. You would then just plug these two RCA plugs into the subwoofer. You'd then need to find a way to connect the satellite speakers (for your PC) to the outputs on the subwoofer. Then, set the crossover level and you'd be good to go.

Edit: I just checked Radio Shack's Web site. They sell such a cable from Monster Cable. The catalog # is: Catalog #: 15-2473. Price: $29.99.

This link should work: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=15-2473

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

You can find this sort of thing for a lot cheaper than that. Especially if you don't need it to be "Monster Cable". Just stop by Sears or Best Buy or Circuit City and find one for about $5.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That is not going to give you sufficient voltage to drive a sub. The adapter does give you the right connection, but it still only gives you headphone level voltage. It will give you sound, but it won't be great sound.

5. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

We would need more information about the connections available on your subwoofer to give advice. A picture of the subwoofer's connections would be ideal.

6. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Well, for quite a while I was splitting the audio output from my computer and sending it to my computer speakers and one of the PE 250W plate amps to drive a homemade sub. This works just fine.

The typical subwoofer plate amplifier has WAY more gain than is needed. That's why you often hear guys bragging on their subs saying "I only had to turn it up 1/3 of the way so I've got tons of headroom left". Not necessarily true. They've got lots of gain headroom but who knows how much amp power headroom or woofer excursion headroom.

At any rate, the connectors needed to try this are quite cheap. The best course of action is to just try it and see what you think. The biggest problem I ran into was that I only had stereo output from my mobo so I was relying on the low-pass filter in the plate amp which isn't really steep enough to integrate the sub with my cheap PC speakers and avoid localization issues. But line voltage was never a problem. "Dude, I only had it turned up to like 1/3, so you KNOW that thing was just cruising."

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This is exactly what I have done with my home PC. I agree that the packages' subs do not cut it.