1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Here's a room pic - need surround placement help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Whitney, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Lee Whitney

Lee Whitney Auditioning

Hi all,
    I have one of those difficult rooms and I'm trying to decide where to place the rear surrounds (L,R,C).
    Any ideas after looking at the layout link on my page? http://www.lwhitney.com/ht
    Would the L/R rear surrounds be best in the ceiling? Or one of the few wall areas available?
    Should the center rear go where my guess point is in the picture?
    Thanks,
    Lee

2. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

This is not often mentioned but you could get some rears that mount in the ceiling.
    Boston Accoustics makes some rears ( VRS )that are designed to be mounted on the ceiling, and painted if need be. They run $350/pr list. I personally like the tweeter used in the VRS speaker, but give it a listen.
    I can tell from the amount of things you have hidden that SAF must be very low.
    Good luck,
    Jon

3. Lee Whitney

Lee Whitney Auditioning

Thanks Jon, ceiling mount seems like a good idea.
    I wonder if I could just buy a normal speaker and put it in my attic facing down into a grill in the ceiling.
    The thinking would be that something with an enclosure would sound better than a normal ceiling mount.
    BTW, my SAF is not that low, I just like the stealth look where you have a system that sounds awesome and is as invisible as possible.
    Lee

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I agree with JonR, you may be better off mounting them from the ceiling with the appropiate ceiling mounts. You can place them anywhere and they will be out of the way as far as comparing them with using stands.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Lee: first, thats a nice little diagram youve got.
    Second: yes, you have a challenge.
    You dont show where the rear L/R speakers are, but then I see you are asking about that.
    First: dont enclose your speakers. This will not help the sound.
    In the Sound and Vision magazine, they had similar rooms and asked 3 industry experts on HT how to solve the problem. Several of them recommended ceiling-mounted speakers for the rears in similar situations to yours. But that is such a perminent placement that I hesitate to recommend it.
    Can you try some experiements? Try this:
    A: get a narrow table for behind that couch. Put your speakers fireing up behind the couch. Someone with a similar lack of back wall found this to be both acoustically and Spousally acceptiable.
    B: Try putting 3 speakers on that bar up near the ceiling. Put them on small shelves so you can play with the angles and adjust them and listen for how good it sounds.
    (That looks like a fairly long distance behind the seating area so I'm not sure it would work).
    C: (I'm reaching for things) Change that couch so it presents a "V" shape with the center across from the TV. Mount the 3 rear speakers on stands behind the apex of the V and the L/R rears about halfway down the couch to the sides.
    D: Go with the in-ceiling speakers.
    A few other suggestions:
    Do you have black-out curtins on those side-windows? You really need this for daytime viewing of that nice HD tv.
    The drawing looks kind of cramped in the upper-left corner. Make sure the TV is centered along that wall and the L/R speakers pulled into the room and having a few feet between them and any rear/side wall. (Pulling the couch out into a "V" shape will help with this.) I'd even consider moving that SVS sub to near the fireplace. All that bass energy near those windows -- could cause rattles.
    Hope this helps.