Here's a puzzle for you. :-)

1cbr_guy

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd Smith
If the highly knowledgable folks here can help me with my puzzle, I think you would answer 90% of my A/V home theatre questions.

Goal: To run xbox360 and Dish unit (standard def) through my projector (while still having the TV also connected to the Dish) and obtain the best sound and video possible with my current setup.

As you can see, my choices are: Composite for most items, s-video for a few items, Optical audio, for a couple, and component for a couple.

How you would you wire this up? Don't worry about sound to the TV. That's no biggie.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Well it is hard to say looking at the pictures, but heres a try:
  1. From the Dish
  2. Red, White & Yelllow to TV input #1
  3. S-Video to the projector
  4. Digital co-ax to the receiver
[*]From the Xbox, I can;t see the outputs, so I am guessing
  1. Red, White & Yelllow to TV input #2
  2. Digital Optic to the receiver
  3. Red, Green, Blue to the projector
This should give you picture at both the TV & Projector and sound to both the TV & receiver.

1cbr_guy

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd Smith
Thanks Drobbins. What I was hoping to do was to split out my optical audio from the Dish to the Onkyo and to the Xbox, and split out the s-video from the Dish to the projector and the tv. But, I dont think I should do that. What you said makes since. This way I would have a dedicated connection to everything without using splitters.

The Xbox wont actually be connected to the tv...only to the Projector.

Todd

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
How many inputs (Video 1, Video 2, etc.) does the projector have?

Your TV has only two video inputs plus the antenna jack and this can be a handicap in the future. Also notice that its Video 1 must be composite (yellow) all the time or S-video all the time, and its video 2 must be composite all the time, S-video all the time, or 480i component (red, green, blue jacks) all the time. The other jacks must be empty.

I'm not sure how much a video splitter costs but if you eventually want to use the Dish's S-video (and/or composite) for both the TV and the projector, a switch box that lets you feed one at a time will work fine. Analog channels (if any) from the dish may look better via the composite connection, only a viewing test will prove for sure.

1cbr_guy

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd Smith

For video, the pictured Infocus IN72 has one composite, 1 set of component, and 1 s-video. The other connections are for HD signals which I dont have, other than the xbox, but it only has component video coming out.

I dont have any analog channels from the Dish, but there is currently an rf coax cable connecting the Dish to the TV. If I opted for Composite, whould I get a better picture than the rf coax?

Since I dont want to split the Dish's s-video to the tv and to the projector, I might opt for composite from the Dish to the TV and s-video from the Dish to the xbox. The TV is on 32", so the picture will be decent by nature, but I want the better video option leading to the Projector.

I'm a very visual learner...this is the only way I know to do this.
Does this make any sense? Am I getting a little warmer? I called HiFi Buys earlier and the guy treated me like a 3rd grader for not having a house full of hi-def stuff, so I am relying on you guys. I'm trying to determine what all cables and couplings, etc that I need to purchase. (Remember, I'm still a newbie to this stuff...I just dont want to do it wrong)

Yellow line = Composite feeding video from Dish to television, and tv audio out to Onkyo receiver (now that I think about it, I dont think I need audio running from the tv to the receiver, since I dont use the tv's speakers).

Green line = Composite feeding sound signal from Dish to Onkyo recever.

Red Line = feeding optical audio (toslink) from xbox 360 to Onkyo receiver.

Purple line = s-video from Dish to Projector (only for rare tv watching)

Blue line = component video from xbox360 to Projector.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaschoolei