Here's a new one: An HDCD disc from Sony Music.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Jun 21, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

In thinking of HDCD-encoded discs, I used to think of many record labels, but I never used to think of Sony Music. I had never seen an HDCD disc from Sony Music, until today. My feeling was that Sony preferred its Super Bit-Mapping process. The Sony Music HDCD I found today was Roy Orbison 16 Biggest Hits. Costco in my area had a display of classic titles on the Sony Music label, all for $7.99. There was the Orbison disc. I looked at the back of the jewel case, and there was the HDCD logo. Huh. Who woulda thunk it?

The copyright date on the Orbison disc is 1999, so I doubt Sony Music is going to push out a bunch of HDCD discs from this point forward. This Orbison disc is on the monument/Legacy label, so perhaps the monument part has something to do with the album being done in HDCD. I don't see monument CDs often.

For those wondering, other Sony Music CDs for $7.99 at Costco include Miles Davis Kind of Blue, The Dave Brubeck Quartet Time Out, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble Couldn't Stand the Weather, The Isley Brothers Greatest Hits, Volume 1, Janis Joplin Greatest Hits, Aerosmith Toys in the Attic, and Billie Holliday Love Songs.

2. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Sony used HDCD on a few releases in the past.

If you look at the Springsteen "Tracks" collection you will see the HDCD logo there also.

3. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

Keith,
    If you're into HDCD's, try this site. One of the best I've ever found for HDCD. I never had any idea ther were so many out there. On the right hand side, inside the green box, click on the words "All HDCD CD's" Be prepared to spend a couple minutes for the page to load as there are a few hundred titles. Enjoy!
    HDCD Music Catalog

4. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Keith,
    I would think Roy's music would be very fine in SACD. Don't you?
    Is there a way to have a SACD discussion with out THAT dvd-a pusher butting in? [​IMG]
    Do you like Jazz? If so here is a highly recommended pure DSD disk on the Grove Note label: the Anthony Wilson trio album name: our gang. It is guitar and organ jazz and it is very much analog like with better dynamics of course.[​IMG]
    And another pure DSD recording from Sony "Appalachian Journey" with Yo Yo Ma and Edgar Meyer and Mark O'Conner with guest appearances by Alison Krauss and James Taylor. Blue grass played by classical musicians. A very pure recording. Alison shows off her fiddle style on one cut here. She usually keeps it subdued on her own recordings, but she is out front and center on one cut.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael,

Thanks for the info. I don't have the Springsteen Tracks CD.

Micahel,

I have looked over hdcd.com before. However, I don't look at the catalog too often because it is so extensive and takes awhile to go through. Besides, I don't think HDCD is such a big deal in terms of hardware. In my opinion, HDCD discs sound great on non-HDCD players. Just my $0.02.

Joe,

I'm sure Roy Orbison would sound great on SACD. Another example of "What is Sony waiting for?". I've been into Orbison more and more since I bought The Traveling Wilburys CDs a couple of months ago.

I appreciate the suggestions of native DSD SACDs. I've heard good things about Groove Note titles and have their sampler SACD. It's excellent.