What's new

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Well I Just saw it and I thought it was terrific.

Not really scary but more creepy with terrific performances. Especially Toni Colletes.

I wasn’t bored for a minute. I loved the sense of dread throughout and I really dug the story and especially the ending.

I was really expecting to hate it based on Josh’s opinion since we usually agree on most films. Gotta say Josh ( and Adam) we’re on opposite ends on this one.

One of the better “horror” films I’ve seen in a long time.

Think I’ll go out and buy the 4K tomorrow.
I didn't quite like it as much as you did but I liked it. Especially the aforementioned sense of dread that runs through the whole movie and the performances.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't quite like it as much as you did but I liked it. Especially the aforementioned sense of dread that runs through the whole movie and the performances.
I think that's the line of demarcation between people who liked the film and people who didn't. I never felt the sense of dread, even though I was aware I was supposed to, so everything after the telephone pole just felt like a long, boring slog. Especially since grandma's deal could be pieced together well before the big reveal.

Milly Shapiro is such an unconventional-looking actress, and her performance in this is so unconventional, that it kept me interested. The ride home from the party had me successfully tense. But after that, the thing completely deflated for me and the rest was just an interminable dirge toward the end credits.

I don't like it when people shit on things I love, so this will be my last round of complaining about the movie. But man did I hate it.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I just watched this on Amazon Prime last night. I saw an ad online that had a review that compared it to The Exorcist, The Shining and Psycho. Not even close. I really started to get wrapped up in it (the whole scene from the party and its aftermath) but I agree: it went on too long and I figured out some stuff a little too early. I agree with one poster: there's a really good horror movie buried in there.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Also, was there really no thread for this movie when it was released? Considering the hype/hate it received I would be very surprised.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I saw an ad online that had a review that compared it to The Exorcist, The Shining and Psycho. Not even close. I really started to get wrapped up in it (the whole scene from the party and its aftermath) but I agree: it went on too long and I figured out some stuff a little too early. I agree with one poster: there's a really good horror movie buried in there.

I gave my thoughts on this film in the Robert Harris thread so won't repeat all that here. The box cover has a quote that compares the film to The Exorcist and I found that ridiculous as well.

This film obviously has more drama and character development than most horror movies do but I find it to be two films in one. The first half or so is all family drama/tragedy and then for the final 40 minutes or so it becomes all horror movie freak out.

So, to me anyway, when the film reaches the turn and becomes horror movie freak out I was actually relieved as during all that led up to that I felt pummeled by the tragic circumstances of the family. It's really sort of an odd juxtaposition.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Saw Hereditary on Blu a while back. Incredible. Very atmospheric & unsettling horror flick, and definitely one of the best I've seen in the past several years. I wasn't sure what to expect, and the movie was great in that it kept me guessing until the very end.

The mother (TC) seemed off from the beginning of the film; very manic & disturbed. I couldn't figure out why she thought it was a good idea to send the kid to a teen party with her older brother; did she think the kid would have a good time with her brother, who obviously didn't want her tagging along?! Of course, that plot-line was essential to the story, and it just showed that the mother wasn't thinking clearly whatsoever. I hate forced socialization myself, so I guess this scene really hit home for me - to some extent.

The scene when the kid got her head torn off because she was sticking her head out of the car window (due to not being able to breathe) was twisted, and disturbing - and not something I ever saw coming.

The ending was horrific, and also unexpected. I.e., the deceased grandmother had been a member & probably leader of some secret, demonic "cult" and the teen grandson was being "groomed" to "take over" as the leader of the cult; the middle-aged woman who met TC at the grief discussion group obviously was involved in the cult as well.

It takes a lot for a horror movie to genuinely bother me these days, but this film very effectively did just that. Kudos to the film-makers for achieving this.

The movie definitely had elements of The Witch, but the tone/vibe also reminded me somewhat of The Killing of a Sacred Deer - another extremely unsettling movie.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks