What's new

Here you go... MORE Sales Numbers! Talk among yourselves. (1 Viewer)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Xbox's are probably selling more at the moment because gamecubes are now here to be found

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
There's also a difference between ship-in & sell-thru numbers. I've seen varying reports use both terms...

I know Sony have been /very/ guilty in the past of referring to ship-in numbers as if they were sell-thru...

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Microsoft Corp. today announced that Microsoft® Xbox™ video game system has surpassed the 1 million mark in shipments, with 1.1 million units "sold-in" to retailers. These sell-in results build on the spectacular Xbox sell-through rate for the system's first two weeks of launch. At the same time, Xbox games have been selling in record numbers … Microsoft plans to ship at least 300,000 additional units into North American retailers through the end of year, putting the system on target with Microsoft's goal of delivering 1 million to 1.5 million units for the calendar year. Xbox is the only system being manufactured in close proximity to U.S. retailers, accelerating the manufacturer-to-retailer cycle.
What a great start so far for the XBox. I also agree that MS has recently done a good job of marketing the console on a broad scale, not just on TV ads. It seems to have cultivated a “cool factor” and “wow factor” image that is attracting older and first time gamers. I also think their launch lineup of games is more attractive to older and first time gamers than the GC’s lineup. I also think that with the XBox priced the same as the PS2, many customers that would have bought the PS2 are instead buying the XBox because of its newer technology.

I have a friend and a boss who a month ago were considering buying the PS2. Neither one of them were serious gamers and both wanted to kill two birds with one stone as neither owned a DVD player but were intrigued by the DVD capability of the PS2. I told them to wait for the XBox and shared the specs of both machines with them. (Neither had heard of the GameCube). The recent favorable reviews of the DVD capability of the XBox compared to the PS2 cinched the deal and both are now enjoying Halo while rushing out to buy DVDs. The powerful specs, inclusion of a hard drive and ethernet port, DVD and DD capability, current and future game lineup all played a factor. Microsoft also played a factor as both believed the company was committed to the product and would make sure it was right.

Although there is obviously an overlapping of all three product's target market, I think the main head to head competition will be between the PS2 and XBox over the next 12-18 months. This could be good for the GC as they seem have their own niche.

James D S

Screenwriter
That is true down here in Houston, while not being flooded with Xboxes, it is possible to snag one. I haven't seen hide nor hair of GameCubes in my immediate area, but have found some farther out (in the boonies).
Turnover of Xboxes is rather brisk. According to the sales gent at the TRU around the corner. "If you want one, be here the morning it arrives. By noon, they'll be gone."
The more I watch the people at kiosks, the more I see a definate difference in the type of gamer these consoles attract. In my *many* visits to the Best Buy down the street, I have YET to see the Xbox endcap empty of people playing Madden (or NFL Fever, whichever it is they have playing). Such is not the case for the GameCube demo. It remains comparatively empty on most days. Perhaps is is because LM does not offer the "quick fix" a footballer offers, thus more trouble than it's worth to pick up and play (to get up to speed in that game requires more than just picking up the controller and picking a play, knowwhatImean?). I don't know for sure.
One thing I am sure of though, positive actually, there is a definate cool factor involved in discussions of the Xbox that you don't here with the GameCube. From overhearing the gossip around the game aisles, the Xbox is just plain "sexier."
Maybe, just maybe, going after the younger demograph automatically makes it the underdog. The game has moved on from there. Video games are becoming something more. The games are meaning something more. Gaming is becoming something that the cool kids do. That most definately was not the case back when I was in high school. (Hell, I was a closet gamer, I know what I'm talking about. ;) ) From talking with fellow college mates, gaming is becoming accepted rather significantly into the lives of even those who thought games were for kids, or nerds. Thank Sony for that. Microsoft sees this also, and has answered the call accordingly.
Significant ideological changes are going to have to occur from camp Nintendo if they want in on this new trend. Otherwise, expect them to be 3rd in the eyes of gamers AND developers, alike.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
James D S, very well put..

Which TRU are you referring to in town? The local EBs and Gamestops have all told me the same thing (been looking for a 2nd xbox for a Christmas gift).....we get them in often, but they got out all nearly the same day, so call often and call regularly is what the managers have all told me..

(I'm off of Kirby near West U / Rice Village btw)

James D S

Screenwriter
Right down the street from you partner. The TRU in question is at the Greenridge/Westheimer intersection (behind the Chili's) in the Galleria area.

B2T:

Another thing that must be taken into account is how will this "new blood" respond to the old Nintendo guard. Will Mario have a significant impact on the gamer that has gotten into gaming in the last 4 years? I know Mario will impact me, but what of my college mates I spoke of earlier? Do they have the same nostalgiac ties? I'm not sure I would bank on a significant turnaround of Nintendo's current position solely on the release of a Mario title. Will the new "kiddie-fied" Link win over the hearts of the new "cooler" gamer? I have my doubts. It is not the lock it would have been a couple of years ago.

The guy who picked up a PS2 for MSG2 and GTA3 may not even flinch when Mario Sunshine hits. Good game or not. Mario may suffer from the same backlash that threatens Nintendo's current stature. Will Mario be "cool" enough or "sexy" enough to capture the imagnination and, more importantly, the money of this new breed of gamer who seems capable of getting superior gaming experiences elsewhere without sacrifing a percieved maturity. Mario may be a good game, but will it be good enough? It's a tall order. And one that currently sees the cards stacked against Nintendo.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Yep, Sony quietly contine to sell PS2s by the truckload and even a fair few PSOnes which surprises me. I suspect Sony will drop the price soon after xmas which should help them shift even more...

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Wow, I love to hear all these positive predictions for MS, but I think maybe we are underestimating Nintendo a bit. As a 30-year-old gamer myself I would love to have the notion that games are "just for kids" go away (and anime, too, while I'm at it!), but I believe that children still have to make up a huge market for video games. And there's no denying that Nintendo owns that market heart and soul, from the design of the 'Cube, to the style of games, to the parent-friendly price tag. (Please note, I am NOT saying that Nintendo's games are just for kids. That's ridiculous. But with few exceptions, most of Nintendo's games are able to be enjoyed by pre-teens as well as by teenagers and adults.)

It's certainly an interesting idea that the demographics of the video game market are starting to skew towards older people. Maybe MS is betting that is has, and Nintendo is betting that the younger market is still a very lucrative one?

Here's hoping they're both right. But they've both got a LONG way to go to touch Sony!

Good topic, here. I know there are several forum members who work in the retail industry--maybe they can comment on their perceptions of the demographics of the gaming community?

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I'm a 29 year old single male, and I can only comment from the experiences I've had here in Phoenix, and only in a select portion of town (the Paradise Valley area.) On last Friday I made a trek to try and get ahold of a Gamecube. I went to Best Buy, Toys R Us, Circuit City, Target, Funcoland, Electronics Boutique, CompUSA and Wal-Mart. With the exception of Circuit City and Wal-Mart (both of which had neither XBox nor Gamecubes) all of the above mentioned stores had at least a dozen XBoxes. Best Buy had about 20 or so on a pallet in one of the aisles. Nobody had even a single Gamecube. I asked at Electronics Boutique and Funcoland if they weren't getting any Gamecubes in, if Microsoft was shipping alot of XBoxes, if the XBox wasn't selling, or what. The answer I got from both of the store workers was that the XBox was selling very well (they had just gotten a shipment that day), but the Gamecubes were just flying off the shelves. As soon as they got them in, they were gone by noon that day. Meanwhile, the same pallet full of XBoxes at Best Buy that was there Friday night was STILL there Sunday night, with only a few gone. I finally was able to get a Gamecube at Fry's Electronics on Saturday. They had six of them, and as soon as I picked one up, five more people came out of nowhere and grabbed the other ones. Super Smash Bros. Melee and Pikmin were very hard to come by, but I did manage to grab the last ones at Fry's when I got the Gamecube. Fry's did not, however, have ANY XBoxes.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I think the Gamecube is selling VERY well here, but I think the XBox is, too. From my perspective, there was one game on the XBox right now that looked good (Halo), while the rest of them don't really grab me. Sure, Madden is great, but I've already got the PS2 version, so I'm not going out of my way to get the XBox one this year. I don't think these cross-platform games will be what determines how well each console does; the exclusives will determine that. The Gamecube had five must-have games for me (Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Star Wars: Rogue Leader, Super Monkey Ball, Super Smash Bros. Melee...all exclusives) so I went with the Gamecube...FOR NOW. I will definitely be buying an XBox when some more exclusive games start coming out. WWF RAW really appeals to me (as does the Gamecube WWF Wrestlemania 2002...but I want BOTH), Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams (a semi-port, but I love the game so I'll get it anyway) Jet Set Radio Future and Shenmue 2.

I know one guy at work with an XBox, and he bought it for Halo. That's the only game he saw that grabbed him, too. There are three people other than me with Gamecubes. We're all around 30 years old (software developers and testers) but all of us like good games, regardless of the maturity level of them. I don't think Nintendo will ever get out of being labelled as a "kiddie" console, even when Eternal Darkness, Perfect Dark 0 and the Resident Evil series are coming. I think Sony and Microsoft are much more direct competitors than Nintendo and the others. I would imagine that all three will do well in this climate, but a year ago I would have said that the market would never support three consoles. I think this time, I'm wrong.

I know I'll be getting all three, that way with the cross-platform games I can get the best one, regardless of which system its on.

Well, that was long, but hopefully not pointless.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Marvin,
if the local Gamestop by my apt in Houston is any indicator, both MS and Nintendo are doing excellent jobs in keeping the retail chain in stock with units...and it seems that demand for both units is outstripping supply currently. (the shop is right by where I work, so I stop by all the time)
The manager tells me that in general, they see a shipment of either one every few days now, with the xbox in general coming in larger lots (she's getting about 20 cubes at a time vs. about 40 to 50 xboxen). But in both cases, as soon as they arrive, they start calling up folks who'd put down their names and wham..they're eitehr all gone or near gone. Any units not claimed via rainchecks typically disappear within 48 hours she says...just in time for the next batch to arrive.
I compare that to the experiences of my friend in CA who owned a quite large mom and pop video game shop when the PS2 came out and I'm just blown away at the difference. Back then, the guy had 4, yes, 4 PS2s at launch despite original projections that he was getting 90+. Then for the next several months (PS2 came out in October if I recall correctly) as the holiday season came about, he ended up getting hold of a total of 30 something! In a three month span, 30! (And several of those he just bought from a local Fry's when it was on sale :P )
Excellent job big N and MS both.:emoji_thumbsup:

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Just wanted to add to the sales numbers...

The report doesn't take into account sales through Wal-Mart stores. So I'm sure sales numbers are probably a bit different than stated in the report.

I also wonder if these numbers include people who return defective machines to the place of purchase and receive new ones as replacements.

Nonetheless, both machines are off to a fast start, which is amazing with the state the economy is presently in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks