What's new

Here we go; SVS 20-39 ISD + 500W amp vs. Hsu VTF-3. (1 Viewer)

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Here is my comparison from my own SVS 20-39 with the ISD and a 500 watt ARS500 amp to a Hsu VTF3 that I heard at a dealer's place. Mind you, that this comparison was not done side to side, so room acoustics may have played a large part in what I heard, but i will give you a grading scale as to what I thought about each unit. 1-10 for each criterion, and add them up in the end.

1. Extension (from how low to how high)
HSU: 10
SVS: 10
I really couldnt tell which one of these could go lower. I was using a frequency sweep (AVIA for the HSU, THX for the SVS) and I could not tell which one of these really got down to the floor better

2. High Bass (70-120 Hz)
HSU: 9
SVS: 8
What I mean by high bass is bass that ranges from 70-120 HZ. The Music that I used for this was the bass line from Alice In Chains Would, Incredible Bongo Band, Gypsey Kings greatest hits, and some others I cant remeber. In other words, the bass that approaches the midrange. For the HSU, the bass seemed a little more natural, in other words, the bass blended with the rest of the music. While this bass on the SVS was very accurate, it was always in synch with the rest of the music, but at times it seemed to domintate the music a little bit, even after adjusting the levels. But to be fair with the SVS, it is only rated to 80 hz

3. Mid Bass (40-70 Hz)
HSU: 10
SVS: 9
This is where the Hsu really shines. Listening to really mid-bass heavy music, like Mirwais, Madonna's Music, Beastie Boys, some Phish, Some really bass-heavy Led Zeppelin, Primus, stuff like that. I cant really explain it, it just felt right. The bass came out clean and was never ever boomy. With the SVS, much the same, but at some times the bass seemed to linger on a note for a fraction of a second, if you know what I am saying. But altogether, a great showing

4. Low Bass (40 Hz and below)
HSU: 9
SVS: 10
Now this is where the SVS really shined. For this test, I pulled out some of the best bass-thumping music, like more Beasties, some 2 live crew, some old pipe-organ stuff, as well as some movie listening, like Matrix, T@, U571, MIB, stuff like that. Man, was this amazing listening to these two subs. In terms of how low the bass goes, it was almost impossible to tell. but interms of extension and volume, the SVS took the cake. i am not sure if it was because of the amp, or whatever, but on scenes like that one MIB part (where the bass goes really, really low as they take the elevator down) or the end of Hoochie Mama, the SVS really pumped it out, almost to the point of breaking glass.

So the totals are:
HSU: 38/40
SVS: 37/40
Really close race, and these are worthy competitors.

Walt N

Second Unit
The problem with bass frequencies is they're so room dependant. When you listen to a sub you're listening to the room as well, so any comparison that isn't done under identical circumstances is meaningless. Can you get the dealer to loan you a VTF-3 for a day?

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
i dont think so. but from what I gathered, the room acoustics between my listening are and the dealer listening area are not absolutely drastically different. i know this because I auditioned a set of full range speakers in both the dealer's room and my own room, and I could not find an audible difference. hope this helps.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Curious as to what electronics you auditioned and how it was set-up. The room may not be as big a factor for main speakers as it is for deep bass so I would not judge it based on one pair of main speakers auditioned in a separate room.

James Tg

Stunt Coordinator
Chung:

Good job. I own a HSU TN1220, but heard a lot of positive reviews of SVS. I plan to buy another sub soon, and I am diciding between another HSU or SVS. Your comparison really gives me hlep. Thanks.

James

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Thank you for this very interesting review.

I agree that room acoustics will play a HUGE role in the sound and you can't make judgements even if the rooms were "similar." A few inches difference in placement would make a huge difference in several aspects of bass performance.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Chung.

Thanks for posting this review. I am in the market as they say and these subs are potential choices in the next few weeks. Your observations are greatly appreciated as any other feedback from the forum is noteworthy and neccessary in helping me reach a decision.

I like the SVS, but the cone effect has ramifications in my decor per the WAF.

Thanks again...
Charles

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I know for a fact that one can get banned for nothing, as I was one of them. The administrators confused me for another person and I was banned for a week. While I must say that I do agree that my comparison was not spot on side by side, I think that I have the sensory perception to tell the difference in subs. By that declaration, I do think that the VTF3 is a better all-around sub then the combo that I own. but then again, I paid altogether about $600 for my combo, while the best price out there for a VTF3 is about $750

RajeeK

Second Unit
Nice comparison. So many good things said about the VTF-3, I would be anxious to hear it some day. Oh, and as far as you being banned, I'll alert the mods asap so we can get you removed asap for such a thread.:D

BruceD

Screenwriter
chung,

Thanks for the info, but it just isn't valid. You may have good ears, but different rooms no matter how closely they might appear won't be good enough for a "true" comparison.

This also means you were not able to truly match SPL levels.

This is interesting data, but just not useful as a comparison.

Walt N

Second Unit
Bruce is absolutely correct. Maybe you could take your SVS in and do an a level-matched, identical placement, in-store comparison and then tell us what you think? We're not asking alot, are we? ;)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Chung, that is about what I would expect from the two subs...well done. I don't think you needed to ask not to be banned for the review. The thread title could end up steering a discussion about bass to a discussion about policy on the forum...so you may consider emailing a moderator to remove the last part of the title.As others have already noted...no one has ever been banned for liking,or not liking a SVS product.(or liking something more than svs).

Could you give me a web-link to the *ars500* amp you used with the SVS? Thanks.

TV

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
OMGosh different rooms and placement equals different universe of sound. Try subs in the same room and in the same place to compare :)

Walt N

Second Unit
Reading between the lines a bit, TV has a good point. Obviously you felt they both performed very well so maybe it really doesn't matter a hell of a lot if your testing protocol wasn't ideal. It is a good subjective account.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
One thing you could do is to get an A/V switch from Radio-shack and just use it to run bass to the two subwoofers, side-by-side in the room, switching between them freely

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Well, does the HSU VTF-3 sub you heard was in MAX extension mode or in MAX output mode? Or if it was in MAX extension mode, did you hear it one time in MAX output mode? Im a fanatic of high punchy bass such bass you can pump with techno/dance/trance songs. I like as well very low bass. I saw somewhere someone saying that the HSU in max output mode is really powerfull for techno songs or songs which demand high punchy bass.
BTW, anyway, im gonna buy the VTF-3 today certainly. I dunno when I will have it... in one week I hope :D I will not compare it against SVS subs because I dont plan to get one but I can compare it against other subs like the Paradigm PW-2200, Servo-15 and mine, the PS-1000. If you want to know more when I'll get it, just ask me ;)
Oh well, if I could have more money, I would buy an SVS 20-39 Pci or PC+ too :D

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
Very nicely done Chung - I believe that this is very close to the reviews I read and you very clearly stated the conditions and your observations. There is very little chance for anyone to do real side-by-side and you did an extraordinary job.

I used input like yours to make my decision on a SVS 20-39PCi - not anything against the HSU product, but to get near equivalent sub at a significantly better price. Also, I had to fix a Sub problem and was able to audition an SVS here in the midwest (auditions to me are without cost to me) which made up my mind.

From all I have read, you should be able to address room anomalies with either sub and any power issues with SVS. I expect both units shine - all the more power to owners of both.

Folks like you with honest appraisals are invaluable....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks