What's new

Here it is: The coveted upcoming Disney DVD release schedule! (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well I've just ordered Jungle Book from HMV.co.jp (see here) (you can click on English at the bottom of the page). Although information is scarce on the Jungle Book release, other Japanese Disney films include the original English soundtrack with no forced subtitles.

It's pricey sure, but still cheaper than the EBay prices, which are more than likely bootlegs anyway.

Incidentally - Disney don't seem to have their limited release policy in Japan - you can also get 101 Dalmatians and Lady and the Tramp

John Simon

Second Unit
Am I the only person that really doubts DVD will still be around by 2010? Or at least it will certainly be some in some HD format. I understand Disney's historical pattern of re-releasing their movies, but I just find this policy with DVD to be pretty stupid considering the rate of technological growth.

Of course, maybe that's Disney's plan: as long as the format keeps changing, we're forced to re-purchase each title...

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only person that really doubts DVD will still be around by 2010?
While HD-DVD will more than likely own a significant percentage of the marketplace by then, there is no doubt in my mind that DVD will still be the "top dog" in the Home Theater consumer marketplace in 2010. (Now, the computer marketplace is a different matter altogether: There I see "Blu-ray" DVD recordables dominating within three years.)

I also firmly believe that all Home Theater HD-DVD players will be capable of playing current DVDs'. I can't see that format starting without that inherent backward capability.

So, when Jungle Book is released, expect to see it distributed to both the DVD and HD-DVD formats. (It's seen its last VHS release, though!) The same will probably be true for the Snow White re-release in the Fall of 2011 ...

Brenton

Screenwriter
VHS was huge for decades. And DVD is gaining waaaay more speed than VHS ever did. I predict that DVD will be here for a long, long time, no matter how soon HD-DVD gets here.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Why release The Little Mermaid before Bambi and Cinderella? The Little Mermaid has already had a DVD release, so its really lame, IMO, to have to wait an extra year for two classics that have NEVER been on DVD just for one of the Platinum re-releases
Makes me so glad I bought those lovely laserdiscs :)

I for one am SO GLAD Disney is revisting Mermaid. The current DVD is HORRENDOUS and looks GHASTLY. A new mint 16x9 HD transfer would be nice. My laserdiscs of Cinderella and Bambi are more-than-watchable compared to that aweful Little Mermaid DVD!

Now...where is Pocohontas??!!??

p.s. also looking forward to Lady and Tramp SE...16x9...both versions (original 4x3 version too)???

James Reader

Screenwriter
David, are you sure the original 4x3 version of Lady and the Tramp exists in a useable form?

The UK "limited issue" release of the film was 4x3, but to my eyes it seemed to be Pan and Scan (although I have only seen it once and could be wrong). Why not use the 4x3 print?

I understand that like Bug's Life et al from Pixar, the 4:3 version was reshot, using slightly different compositions and backgrounds when needed.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey James,

Disney released a wonderful 1.33:1 Lady and the Tramp on laserdisc just a few years back along with their THX WS version (which is the master they used for DVD). The 1.33:1 disc was also THX certified and was the first time that LATT had ever been released "full frame" on home video from the original 1.33:1 film print...it was *not* panned/scanned from the WS version like all previous video incarnations.

So yep...it exists and is apparently usable.

-dave :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
re: James' observations

Not unlike the 4:3 version of Pixar's "A Bug's Life", there are a number of shots in the "proper" 4:3 (as opposed to the "all pan & scan" 4:3) Lady and the Tramp that will look like pan & scan. They did recomposition as necessary depending on the nature of the shot.

Regards,

James Reader

Screenwriter
Ken when you say:
Not unlike the 4:3 version of Pixar's "A Bug's Life", there are a number of shots in the "proper" 4:3 (as opposed to the "all pan & scan" 4:3) Lady and the Tramp that will look like pan & scan.
Does that mean a Pan and Scan version of the 'scope transfer has been created and actually used in the past for some showings/videos? I'm just curious why you would include "all pan & scan" in your response.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Cinderella in 2007. Great my daughter will be 13 and not care anymore. Sad that they deny a generation of kids the pleasures of their movies. :frowning:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Does that mean a Pan and Scan version of the 'scope transfer has been created and actually used in the past for some showings/videos? I'm just curious why you would include "all pan & scan" in your response.
Exactly. Pretty non-sensical isn't it?

BTW,

where can one pre-order the Rescuers??? No where to be seen??

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Yes. The September 1998 VHS/laserdisc was the first time they released a video of the "proper" 4:3 version. All previous videos were 100% pan & scan of the scope version for some strange reason.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks