Here is my room... can it be converted? Should I shorten it a bit?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javier_Huerta, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Hi,
    As some of you might know, I'll transform a room into a dedicated HT. Strangely enough, I had already calculated the optimal dimensions (I was planning on widening it a bit) when I discovered I had the length wrong. So I need to recalculate the size.
    Anyway, there was something I wasn't considering: the fact that my speakers might not be able to reach high levels of loudness in the room. It measures around 19X12X7.8 (something like 6.5mX3.9mX2.6m). I have figured out that it's too big for my set of speakers (DefTech bipolars, 2 ProSubs and one PowerField 15), so I'm thinking about shortening it. Do you think it's worth it?
    Also I was looking for any suggestions for modification of the room. I have already thought about shortening it, straightening the celing, closing all windows and doors and adding accoustical treatment. Any other suggestions?
    I'd hope to finish this project by October (since the room is attached to a house I'm remodeling).
    Thanks for your help!
    Front:
    [​IMG]
    Left:
    [​IMG]
    Right:
    [​IMG]
    Back:
    [​IMG]

2. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

Your room is only one foot longer than mine, and sometimes I wish mine were larger. Personally, I wouldn't shorten it. If the speakers don't do the job for that space, I would rather get different speakers than a shorter room.

Good luck and have fun.

3. Scott Jelsma

Scott Jelsma Auditioning

I agree with Mike. I think I would keep your room size as it is. You can upgrade your speakers if you find they are not adequate.

4. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Actually, it's not the size per se I'm worried about. It's the nodal analysis I'm concerned with.

I calculated the dimensions for a smooth sounding room, and if I keep the length, I'd have to raise the ceiling and widen (?) the room. So I thought I might be better off shortening the length and keeping the other dimensions intact.

I'm curious, though. Why would you have liked your rooms to be bigger? Is it because of the number of people that use your HT, or because of some other thing?

Thanks!