What's new

Here is a sick question..... (1 Viewer)

ArthurM

Auditioning
I have JBL Studio Speakers, Center is a "S", the right left are S38II's. I have the new Yamaha HTR-5590, or at least new to me. One thing about the Receiver it does not fit my Home Ent. Cent. Ugh ); :angry: so the receiver is stuffed under my bed. I have not bought the rears yet. I am thinking of the N26's. I read it once that you should stay with pretty much the same speaker for the same response.
Last is the SVS 20-35 sub. Its the most I can afford.
Ok here is the sick question. Why is it that my Friend saw me buying my stuff at work and asked Why not "BOSE":frowning: .
He said they were far superior to Yamaha and JBL. Is that true did I just waste my money. I mean I listened to what I like. And these sound fine to me. Sure I could pay more but this is the best I could afford. Could anyone help me with a answer to his response. Not a mean one but just for conversation sake. Thanks everyone for the help.:b

John Hester

Auditioning
To put it quite simply, you are right, your coworker is wrong. Bose is all about mediocre products and very good marketing. Part of that marketing strategy is charging a price far above the real value of the components to create the perception of a butique product. Another part is deliberately producing inaccurate sound that may impress the novice at first listen but will often result in sonic fatigue and dissatisfaction after extended use. There's a very unbiased assesment of Bose in general at this site:
The Dark Side of Successful Product Marketing: Bose
But if you want some real-world proof just go to sites like shopper.cnet.com or shopping.yahoo.com or Amazon.com's home theater section and look at some reviews by people who actually bought Bose products. A lot of people get really irate when they realize they could have bought something for half as much money that sounds better.
-John

Well, don't let your friend be your ears. If you like the speakers, then you like them. Simple as that. I think JBL is much better than bose. I was told bose suck, and wanted to see for myself. When I listened to them they sounded OK, but they did not even touch the JBL's. I eventually bought the JBL S310II for mains. To me, for the money, bose isn't worth it. I think JBL is about the best "mass market' speaker you can get. Also, for the price, they are great speakers. I also own a Yamaha receiver. I don't know anything about Yamaha speakers, but I'm sure most(Probably all) of their receivers would stomp the bose Acousticrap module(or whatever the hell powers the speakers). Everything I said is just my opinion.

If you want to know how people here feel about bose, just run a search. You will find many negative opinions. I think you should tell your friend to "prove" to you bose is better than the components you bought. I bet he can't. Not with specs, and not with sound quality (Although sound quality is largely dependent on the human listener). I have found that most of the people that think bose is "far superior" don't know what they are talking about. He may be just looking at the price tag.

If he really does like the sound of Bose compared to your JBL and Yamaha setup, then let him believe that. Just agree to disagree.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Ok what is sick here is the price!!!

I haven't really ever looked into Bose totally I knew they were expensive but I hadn't seen the lifestyle 50 for 3 grand USD!!

Ok you look at those sites that are linked above by John, you go through the listings, there is a nice package offereing by JBL Panasonic Sony etc etc etc. They are all in and around the $200-$500 price range. Then you get to the bose $3K! WTF? That is seriously insane. For $3K you could get a rather kick ass system. Let's say for fun, for $3K you could get a Denon 1803 or so. I don't B&W 601's or 602's all around and an SVS HSU or Velo sub.

Seriously that's sick!

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Bose is for the guys who don't have the guts to say:
"Honey, I don't get to pick your bra's and panties so shut
up and stay the hell away from my audio equipment!"
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks