What's new

Here goes sono..... (1 Viewer)

Tommy T

Stunt Coordinator
Good Morning. 1 year lurker, first time poster. I'm ready to start my first DIY Sonosub. I've gathered all tools and materials except for driver, port and amp. Tube is 20" diameter X 36" long. Room dimensions are 12' ceilings, 20' long, 18' wide. This open up into 25' wide kitchen. Currently using Sony 540 HTiB, (I know don't hit me)! This was great for the apartment but since we just moved into our new home, I need more bass. I've already played around in LspCAD but wanted a couple opinions before I begin.
1) Tempest or Shiva? In this approx 6cu.ft. alignment, which would yield optimal results?
2) What/which type of port to use? I'm looking for low extension with a mid bass kick, if possible. I've done some research on length vs. diameter on ports but I'm still a bit shaky on this one.
3) I plan on using the PE 250 watt amp. Will this be enough power without resulting in distortion and bottoming out?
Thanks in advance. I look forward to seeing who replies being that I've been reading for a year, I feel like a know a lot of you already!

Tommy

Brian Hepler

Stunt Coordinator
Tommy, I can't help with all of your questions, but one I can definitely answer: The 250 watt plate amp works very well with the Shiva. I have just such a set up myself.

A

Anthony_Gomez

THat enclosure is too small for a ported tempest. Sealed would work just fine, but I don't think that is what you are after.
A single shiva would probably be the best of those two drivers in that working volume.
Alternately, if you can wait for the shippments of the new AV drivers (Link Removed). THe AV-15 would be pretty nice, but you need to do a little origami to fit the ~31"x6" port.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Some people have been happy with a 6ft^3 Tempest tuned to around 16-18hz with a 4" flared port. This will outgun a Shiva, but won't allow you to realize the full potential of the Tempest (push too hard and I'm sure you'll get some port noise/compression). But the price difference between the Shiva and Tempest is small. I suppose since you are looking for some more midbass punch you could try 6ft^3 tuned to 22hz with a 6" straight port (I'd run this by Dan though).

I think 6ft^3 is a little big for a Shiva. I'd cut it down to 5ft^3 for a Shiva (4" flared port).

But I personaly agree with Anthony. I wouldn't put a Tempest in anything under 220L (sealed you can go smaller though).

Either way 250W will be lots for both. Although in the smaller enclosures a Tempest could use more power, I don't think the porting you can fit in these enclosures will be able to utilize that extra power.

Tommy T

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for the quick responses! Shiva, check! PE amp, check! As far as cutting down the size, I'm all for that, (as I'm sure the wife will also)! Plan is to mount the amp inside the tube itself as some others have done. This should lower the volume a bit.

Now for tuning. I guess I'm wanting to experience the low rumbling effects that others have described with LOTR, TPM etc. Will a 22hz tune, in addition to room gain, allow me to experience this? I was thinking of keeping my Sony subwoofer connected also. I could adjust the Xover on it to provide the midbass punch, while leaving the low-lows, to the Shiva. Good or bad idea?

I appreciate all the help already. Plan is to document all of this and maybe dedicate some webspace for others to help. Patrick's page for example, has been extremely valuable and hopefully I can help out the next person.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
With EBS Shiva I'd tune to 17-18hz and the rumble filter on the PE amp will take care of any problems below tuning.

I wouldn't use the Sony sub in conjuntion with the EBS Shiva. After you get it done and hear it, you'll understand why.

Tommy T

Stunt Coordinator
Last question for the day...I think! I was planning on laminating a sheet of Birch plywood to the top MDF plug. I would like for 3/4" of the top cap (birch) to reside outside the tube and I have 2 options.
1) Should I use (2) 3/4" plugs (MDF) and also a top layer of 3/4" birch? This would total 3 layers for the top.
2) Use (1) 3/4" plug (MDF) inside the tube and (1) top layer of 3/4" birch outside? This would result in 2 layers.

OK, another question, I lied! Will a 3/4" base of birch be enough stability wise? I don't want the thing to go toppling over. This base will be the same size as the outer top birch, 22".

Thanks again!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Between 1 and 2 personal preference. If you like overkill go with 1, but option 2 will be fine.

A base of that type will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks