Here Goes.. Denon 5805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Thanks to a windfall this year, and a big break through direct resale, anyway, I'm grabbing a Denon 5805, which I should receive shortly. The idea of something that would handle two seperate 5.1 zones seemed interesting, and something that might work together with some of the MCE ideas we have.

Anyway, I'll post details/pics when in, but looking for others with the unit/setup advice [​IMG]

2. John S

John S Producer

The real world reports on this AVR have been beyond positive.

So when is the unit expected?

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Should receive it on Friday or Monday.

4. John S

John S Producer

I'm a 4802 owner, and all I can say is droooooooool. [​IMG]

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You are getting what is widely believed to be the absolute finest A/V receiver in existence. Congratulations.

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yeah, the problem is now I'm going to be of a desire to upgrade my speakers *laugh*

7. John S

John S Producer

Maybe not. I'll bank if you like your speakers now, your going to love them even more with the 5805....

8. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Be sure to lift with your knees when you pick it up [​IMG]

Be interested to know how effective the video processing is.

Mort

9. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

That is certainly one impressive receiver. [​IMG]

But I'm curious, if you are able to get such a great deal on these types of receivers,
    why didn't you wait a few months when HD-DVD comes out before Christmas and then get
    the updated version of the 5805 (no doubt they will come out with one, maybe they'll
    call it the 5905) that will be able to handle the HD sound formats that HD-DVD will support?
    Then you'd be set for like the next 20 years and never have to upgrade anything except
    your DVD player and maybe t.v. [​IMG]

10. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I'm not worried about that. Because right now, my main input is a specially configured MCE2005 box, and I support WMV9-HD DVDs right off the bat (and have more then 10 on hand) which I know combines with this fine. Because my MCE2005 box has 8 channels out (and can be easily upgraded to 10 channels out) I have no problem worrying about new formats [​IMG]

Actually, the whole point of picking it up really cheap was that I get a "work extension" on it for part of our InclusiveHome Automation Network system.. (which is, IMHO, unbelievably slick, and the people who've seen it tend to rave on it if they've got the $$)

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i need to start the "i officially hate chris because i'm totally jealous" thread. can anyone tell me which forum it should go in? [​IMG]

12. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

Speaking about the 5805, its little brother (the 4806) is supposed to go on sale just about now . . . does anyone know when this receiver will arrive at the stores?

13. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Probably not until early May.

14. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Chris

How do you intend to support this heavyweight, reenforced shelves, concrete slab, [​IMG]

15. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

*laugh* actually, it will just be on the bottom shelf of two of the side cabinents I picked up @ Nebraska Furniture Mart.. the weight is heavy, but not -that- heavy [​IMG]

Came in on Friday. I haven't installed it yet (didn't bring it home yet) will do that on Monday. Off the bat it will be paired with Infinity Alpha 50s/10s/10s and Infinity Alpha Center.. so, we'll see [​IMG]

But, the room itself is not gigantic.. but it does change my equipment list.. so will now be mostly a 57" Sony HDTV, Denon 5805, Infinities..

I'm eager to pop it on my home network, though, and play with it from that point, part of the whole reason I got the big discount was to see about networking options with this and MCE, etc. [​IMG]

16. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Received! [​IMG] I'm just getting to some re-wiring efforts, but let me say, very impressive so far, even the manual(s) are nice and thick with lots of detail. I had a friend who was going to help put it into the cabinents, but couldn't spring free yesterday, so we're going to try and mount it up Thursday.

I'll take some pics later. [​IMG] I do like the new remote, better then most Denon remotes (IMHO)

17. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

You mean to say that the manual isn't written in Engrish like the lower model receivers?

Mort

18. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

*laugh* well, the diction isnt' always great, but it does have a lot of attention to detail, and, this is the first Denon I've ever picked up with nice color photo shots of the backpanel with descriptors, etc. so you know where things are going.

I've spent the night playing with the remote, etc. Very slick!

19. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Denon, for all its excellence, still cannot give users a decently written owner's manual!