What's new

Here doggy, doggy.... (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
There are several explanations. In some cases it's because the fetish is an expression of a deeper-rooted set of problems and the fetish is just one manifestation of these. More commonly, it's a simple matter of association (what is often called Pavlovian conditioning or stimulus-response learning). Typically, during later childhood/early adolesence, a person with an unusual fetish has, whilst sexually aroused, been exposed to the object of the fetish, and this association has stuck. In the case of the car exhaust guy, I believe the explanation was that as a teenager, he'd on several occasions become sexually aroused whilst sitting in cars or buses in traffic jams and had noticed the exhausts of other cars.

And before anyone says that this is sick or weird, just where do you think any of us get our particular 'normal' tastes from? Generally it's because societal norms have told us some things are sexually arousing and we meekly obey. This explains why different cultures think different parts of the female body are the sexiest (e.g. the feet in one culture, the nape of the neck in another, etc, etc). If all our sexual tastes were pre-programmed and 'natural' we'd all have exactly the same tastes. It also explains why most men find the thought of a woman wearing stockings and garters arousing. This is due to modern conditioning. Up until the 1950s this was not a particularly strong favourite amongst men. Likewise, over time, blondes, brunettes, dark haired women have all had their turn as being considered the sexiest. The difference between someone with a fetish and someone with what are considered normal tastes is often a matter of degree, not an absolute difference.

And before anyone makes the counter argument - yes, I think that someone who molests children, dogs, etc is sick. In some cases the behaviour is so taboo (e.g. children) that crossing the boundary line, no matter how strong the urge is IMHO unforgiveable. In other cases, I think we need to know the full tale. Someone who molests dogs is doing something so disgusting by most people's standards that instead of automatically condemning, we have to ask - what is so wrong with this person's mind that they could even begin to think of doing this? But sitting in judgement without trying to understand the full case first lacks sufficient insight into the situation.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Such insightful post. And to think I've begun to think of the After Hours Lounge didn't have anything new to add to a fetish discussion except photos from Dragon Con and 'muffin tops'.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor

You really think any of these three examples are on the same level as abusing an animal? gay men stealing socks, humping sidewalks, or banging a tail pipe? I guess I'd rather have a neighbor stealing my socks versus one that is abusing my dog.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
No, what I said was these were weird [as indeed I said in the bit that you've quoted!], not that they were on the same level of offensiveness. And just to further emphasise the point - I'm not saying that the people who did these should be mocked, merely that their activities were weird.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
After all, consider that in Victorian times, cleavage was on display just as much as it is today, if not further enhanced with rib-crushing corsets, yet a 'flash of ankle' out from under floor-length gowns was positively scandalous -- whereas today women wear short skirts and heels and it's attractive yet hardly merits comment.

But ugh, that kid is sick.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Never saw the thread but I recall hearing about that story on the morning radio show I listen to. I think one guy ran some sort of animal sex farm, pretty disturbing. One of the idiots was on the receiving end of the horse and had his colon punctured.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks