What's new

Here Comes the Sun (in Barrow, Alaska) (1 Viewer)

Janna S

Second Unit
The sun comes up today in Barrow, Alaska for the first time since Nov. 18. It will be up today for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Over the next three days that time will increase by 33 minutes, then 24 minutes, then 22 minutes. (From May 10 until August 2 it never sets.)

And you thought you were tired of winter darkness . . .

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I was in Alaska last July, it was pretty interesting to be up at 11 pm and it would still be daylight. I thought the sun set though for an hour or two in Anchorage, but it was still light--is the sun still actually up? I thought that was further north than Anchorage.

We cruised from Anchorage (Seward) to Vancouver, and toward the end of the cruise the nights were getting longer as we headed south. The last night of the cruise I videotaped a sunset at about 9:30 pm.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
...And I'm complaining today of the rain showers we're getting... It's almost 50 degrees today!! it's melting all our precious snow!
Hey Janna, I've finished photocopying your Chilkoot brochures, I'm gonna mail the two ones back to you tomorrow. I actually found a PDF file similar to the "Hikers guide to the Chilkoot Trail" online so I just printed that out... The profile that you sent is going to be helpful, thanks again...
May the sun shine brightly in your wonderful state :)
Jay

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We were in Alaska a couple of summers ago. In Fairbanks, although the sun would officially set, it never really got dark (more like dusk). There was a "24 hours of golf" outing available -- I was tempted to play, but we did not have enough time.

Even stranger -- the temperature kept getting warmer as we got travelled further north. It was in the 50's in the panhandle, the 70's in Anchorage and 85 in Fairbanks. Of course, it drops down to -60F in Fairbanks, too. Brrr!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I've been in Anchorage once - but only on the airport. In 1985 I was paying a visit to Japan, and in those days most flights went over Anchorage (the other option was Moscow, now more common from my home city).

Anyway, we stayed there from 10.00 am to about 3.00 pm and I didn't notice any change in the "feeling" of the day (it was early April). I suppose close to midwinter and midsummer, you get more changes in the altitude of the sun, but near the spring- and autumnpoints it must be difficult. How do you "natives" cope with that, Janna?

Cees

Janna S

Second Unit
It's not as extreme here in Anchorage, but it's still very different than in America.

In the summer, we try to remember to watch the clock rather than waiting for darkness to remember to go to bed. I can't tell you how many times I have been outside gardening or walking or hanging out, not realizing it was midnight or later. Many people put aluminum foil over their windows in the summer, particularly in their kids' bedrooms - it's very difficult to keep kids' sleep patterns regular in the summer. Many of us really look forward to autumn, and the coming of ordinary evening and night, because we have burned our candles at both ends for too long.

In the winter we just get accustomed to driving in the dark, and we avoid thinking that dark = time to sleep. We use the midday to get things done outside, rather than waiting for the evening. Lots of people use special lights to counteract SAD.

I have lived here for so long that I am used to the wide swings in day and night, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I lived in Alaska for 4 years in a little place called Ft. Greely, not to very far from Fairbanks. When we first got there it was summer time, and the sun is always up, of course we were not aware of that. I wanted to go outside and check out the base and the woods etc. I lost track of time and was at the next door neighbors house when a sharp knock came on the door... it was the military police looking for me...I had no idea it was 2 am as the sun was still shining brightly. That's when I realized that Alaska was sort of ummmm a different place. I really miss living there though, it the best place I ever lived, full of beauty and wonder.

Peace

Eve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks