What's new

Hercules Game Theater XP digital out for PowerDVD and MP3s (1 Viewer)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
I'm setting up my HTPC and I'm having some trouble configuring the GTXP to play both digital 5.1 audio for PowerDVD _AND_ for mp3s. Is this possible? I notice in the options ("other" ... the last tab) that there are three options (on the right side of the window).:
  • Main Outputs
  • PowerDVD
  • Digital audio source
The "mp3" selection is one of the checklist items to the left. Now, I think I can only select ONE of the options in the list of 3 to the right. It even requires a restart of Windows to work right.
Can anyone help me get this configured to do both?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
You don't have to restart windows for those selections to activate on the right. You can only have one clicked on at a time so either "main outputs" or "power dvd", etc.

Keep in mind that MP3 isn't a digital 5.1 format nor is a stereo PCM format. In order to play 2 channel MP3 music through the digital out you will have to check the "Main outputs" box and use the digital out on the pre/pro. What will happen is your computer will output anything you play through the digital out so you can hook it up to a receiver and play your Mp3s.

BTW, the Mp3 playback checkbox only works if you have a specific types of software player such as Windows Media player. It doesn't work for Winamp.

Also check the "CD" box in the "Mixer" tab if you want to reduce hiss when playing Mp3s or watching a DVD. Actually I'd deactivate ALL the boxes except for "Wave".

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
I just tried it again and whenever I change the selection on the right (the list of three) it pops up a window saying that in order for the change to take place I have to restart windows. Are you saying that's BS, or are you saying you don't get that window?

Okay, I've just updated the drivers to 5.01 and now it's not recognizing the hardware. Windows thinks it's a Crystal SoundFusion. I can't figure out what's wrong and it doesn't even have the little icon in the system tray. I'll probably just revert to the old 4.x driver to get it working again, but what am I missing here with the 5.01 driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks