What's new

Hen's Tooth releases (1 Viewer)

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
It seems another small company is dealing pressed DVDs of old 'classics'... Hen's Tooth Video has over the past couple of months released or announced the following:
* Kit Carson, with Dana Andrews, Jon Hall and Lynn Bari (Jan. 29 - http://www.classicflix.com/hall-lynn-bari-dana-andrews-carson-1940-a-1353.html )
* Brewster's Millions, with Dennis O'Keefe, Helen Walker and Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson (Mar. 5 - http://www.classicflix.com/brewsters-millions-1945-march-a-1367.html )
* Black Magic, with Orson Welles, Akim Tamiroff and Nancy Guild (already released - http://www.classicflix.com/welles-black-magic-a-1351.html )
Along with Film Chest's recent foray into pre-1960s film and TV (Dick Powell in Pitfall, Suddenly in BR, and Classic 50s TV), it seems there are operators out there tempted by our interest in classic (re. oldies) films.
Any one purchased Black Magic yet, and if so, what's the verdict? After the holiday, once the bank book surfaces from the flood waters, I'm in for Pitfall, Black Magic and Brewsters...

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I've seen their releases of Man in the Iron Mask and Last of the Mohicans and both were perfectly fine transfers taken from good sources. I would expect the same for these releases.

Thart

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas Hart
"Black Magic" from Hen's Tooth looks very good and I would recommend it (haven't seen it since it played on Showtime in 1981). On the other hand, "Pifall" looks awful and is unwatchable on any size screen. The DVD is washed-out, with high contrast and no detail/sharpness. It's a shame, since their recent Blu-Ray/DVD combo release of "Suddenly" is the best that film has every looked.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Personally, Hen's Tooth is far more reliable and has better quality control than Film Chest. Mr Hart's review of Film Chest's Pitfall is disappointing, but not surprising. However, I would like to add that Image Entertainment's edition of Suddenly is the best edition currently being released this year, and that is another company I would rather support that Film Chest.
For those that did not buy last year's wave of literary classic adaptations (The Last of the Mohicans, The Man in the Iron Mask, The Corsican Brothers, and The Count of Monte Cristo) should be pleased to know that a DVD set of all 4 titles has recently been released by Hen's Tooth this past October.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Just watched their release of Brewster's Millions (1945), and can definitely recommend the transfer used for the film. Looks like a fresh remaster to me. Optional subtitles are also included. I was also pleased with their release of Kit Carson. Previous home video releases of this film were plagued by colorized transfers of this film. Hen's Tooth offers a fresh remaster of quality B&W elements. Subtitles are also available in this one.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Hen's Tooth is also at the center of another mystery. The House That Dripped Blood was supposed to be released on blu-ray by Severin. However Hen's Tooth released it on dvd only last month. Would love to klnow what happened as this is probably the disappointment of the year for me so far.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
HOUSE was first released on DVD by Lionsgate ten years ago. Looks like HT picked it up; Severin is clambering back to life, so maybe it's still in its Blu-ray pipeline.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
If anyone's interested in the Hen's tooth release of the final Powell and Pressburger production Ill Met By Moonlight it's a good transfer...does Hen's Tooth have their own website?

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill
HOUSE was first released on DVD by Lionsgate ten years ago. Looks like HT picked it up; Severin is clambering back to life, so maybe it's still in its Blu-ray pipeline.
Severin said on their Facebook page that they have lost the rights to THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD, so the Hen's Tooth release looks like the only one there will be.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Flashgear said:
If anyone's interested in the Hen's tooth release of the final Powell and Pressburger production Ill Met By Moonlight it's a good transfer...does Hen's Tooth have their own website?
Yes, it's a good transfer. Their website is here http://www.henstoothvideo.com Orders can't be made from the website, but they keep it up-to-date with new upcoming DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks