Helping sister improve her Audio on the cheap

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adil M, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

My sister bought a Five Speaker Aiwa Bookshelf system long ago that was not that bad, but I took her to some stores and she wants to improve on it. She's not really an audiophile she just always wants better, so I'm going to indulge her. I ripped out the original wiring whose gauge was beyond me it was so tiny. The tinned copper was a glimmer among the pathetic shielding. I need some help b/c I'm not a know-it-all. She wants to better it as much as possible for 200. She really wants any of the HT setups I showed her, but they would intrude on her shopping.

Anyway what wiring would be best to replace the original wiring. Should I just get the 14 gauge Monster XP through a friend at cost or is something else better on the cheap. The speakers really aren't that bad and I have not experimented much w/ wiring, so I'm on the fence w/ that and am not getting off till I figure it out. SInce the speakers don't really go low I'd like wiring w/ a reputation of having clear highs, I might just go buy cheap Home Depot 12 gauge, but would that be better or worse than Monster XP which I can get for same price.

Second I was going to get her a Sony sub and that would use up her budget. I might even polyfill it, but I'll decide that after I hear it. This ends up w/ a 5.1 DD setup and she's never listened to DD till recently. Thanks for any help on this. If you have a better idea w/ what to do w/ the money I'd like to hear.

I could change the receiver or centerpiece to the Aiwa, but what would be significantly better?

2. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    For that level of system, I think the Moster Cable is overkill. It tends to be way over priced as it is. The existing wire is most likely 22 guage. It seems to be popular for such systems. The Home Depot stuff would probably do fine, but I'm not familiar with it. Better

to spend less on cable and upgrade the receiver in my opinion. Followed by speakers when possible.

3. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Right now replacing the wiring is cheap and has cleared up about half the static and noise which was coming through the 35 feet of surround cabling. The static doesn't frown out the sound now. I can get the MC for cost and am leaning toward it in white for aesthetics. Any other cheap wire suggestion would be great?

I think a sub would be the next best step and that will use up her budget. I thought about the receiver, but think she'll get more bang w/ the sub. I'm just trying to improve her mediocre setup as much as possible. Thanks for the advice.

4. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I always hear that the Sony sub (SAW40 I think?) is awesome in the sub $200 range. I also like JBL's Northridge speaker package. It can be had for between $250 and $300 for the five speakers (no sub).