1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Helping my boss with his new RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GioAngles, Jan 2, 2003.

1. GioAngles

GioAngles Auditioning

I'll be getting one soon, but in the meantime, I'll be helping him with his new Hitachi 43FWX20B. Aside from getting on his good side, it'll be a nice practice run for when I get my own RPTV within the next month or two.

He's already buying Avia on my reccomendation, and I know I need to dial down the video settings from the default "torch" mode as soon as we turn it on. My question is, is there a break-in period for the TV before I calibrate it with Avia?

It's my first time using a calibration disc, and I understand that Avia in particular is very explanatory, but are there any helpful hints I should know right off the bat? Should I do do the video set-up in any particular order, or will the disc walk me through it?

I'm fairly proficient with computers, but very new to home theater. Thankfully, my general knowledge has grown considerably by lurking in these boards.

I don't think he's completely sold on getting an ISF calibration, but since we'll both be getting these TVs from our company, I can probably convince him that it's a good idea.

2. Hal_J

Hal_J Agent

regarding the break-in, what i recommend is that you turn the tv on, reduce brightness and contrast to 50%, and then go mow his lawn. (if it doesnt take long to mow his lawn, you really should be brown-nosing your VP, or someone with a larger home/yard.) next, wash and wax his car(s) and shampoo his dog. finally, spend an hour telling him that you enjoy his personality and consider it a bonus to be paid at all, because you love working for him so much. it seems more sincere if you are shining his shoes when you say this.

after doing the above, the tv should be sufficiently prepared for you to run avia.

be sure to tell him that you need to tweak it every few months or so. by creating this 'addiction' he won't lay you off.

:-D

3. GioAngles

GioAngles Auditioning

[​IMG]
    Would 8 hours be sufficient?

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

8 hours is enough, but you could do AVIA after it's been on for an hour or so and still be ok.

If the weather is really cold where you are you might want to wait for the set to get up to room temperature before you turn it on.

Most rptvs change a bit during the first month or two, so you might need to repeat the AVIA setup once a week or so until it stabilizes.

Most Hitachis look best with contrast turned down to 30% or so, adjust brightness with the "black bars and Half gray" pattern in the advanced video adjustment section of AVIA, reduces the influence of internal light reflection on the brightness setting.

Most of these also have a bit of red push. If you find this one does (there's a color decoder evaluation test on the disc) go to the advanced video adjustments and look for a red bar pattern--use that pattern and the red filter to adjust color level and you won't have blooming sunburned fleshtones.

5. GioAngles

GioAngles Auditioning

Great info, Steve!
    I'm sure I'll get the hang of it once I dive into it. I'm in Miami so cold weather isn't an issue. Also nice to hear that I can get working on it after about an hour or so.
    I'll give you all a holler if I need anything else. [​IMG]