helping a friend select a television

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

A friend of mine needs a new TV, and she's elected me to help her find one, cool, shopping on someone else's budget [​IMG]
    well, problem is she wants a 32" or larger for no more than $500. Soooooo I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions to look at. The sony's are pretty much out I think (haven't checked any prices at all, so I really don't know yet) maybe one of the toshibas?
    thanks [​IMG]

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

A decent 32 inch for $500 or under may be a hard task but I suspect you can find a Sharp 32 inch (32-NS400 model) for under that price (try Costcos or BJs Wholesale). The Toshiba 32A41 is the new 32 inch tube model from Toshiba. I believe this is selling for around $550 or perhaps less. You may be able to find last year's model - the 32A40 - for cheaper. You can also check the pricing on the JVC D series - 32D302 I believe - the one without the PIP option. It may be somewhere between $500-600. JVC also has a lower end model line - the 32230s.There are of course other brands. Panasonic also has a line of 32 inch sets that come in around $500. You can go towww.pricescan.com and see what pops up for $500 and under in the 32 inch category.
    I guess one of the questions to ask and answer is what will the tv be used for and what requirements i.e. features and functionality are desired.
    good luck,
    --tom

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

she isn't going to need much, AV in and out is all really. It's just going to be used with a small HT in a box type system and that's about it.
    here's a sharp 32" in the paper for 449, doesn't seem too bad. pic in pic and front/rear AV's. doesn't seem bad at all. I'll check the usual suspects (bestbuy and sams club) and see what I find. thanks for the help!
    ]
    [Edited last by Philip_G on July 23, 2001 at 08:13 PM]

4. Carol Curtis

Carol Curtis Stunt Coordinator

Also take a look at the 32 inch Samsung no P-I-P but the sound system is a lot better than the Sharp & it can be had for around $400 Also watch out on the low price Panasonic model, no comb filter & no audio outputs. I would try to find last years JVC "D" series or even last years regular JVC series you should be able to get either one of those for around $500 but be prepeared to fight. [​IMG]

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Carol's right about the Sharp and audio...they tend to have the worst tv audio out of the bunch. I'd say it's probably most important for your friend to go and look at the sets you've earmarked for considerion since visuals are the most important thing, I think. In addition, while she may not want any inputs/outputs now, make sure to factor in at least a little future expansion. I'd get a set that minimally had 2 sets of A/V composite inputs, and one Svideo input as well as a set of audio outputs to run to a receiver. In addition, I'd get one with a 3 line digital comb filter...it will make a difference on cleaning up some of the artifacts on the RF (cable) and composite inputs (such as a vcr). If you'd like a set of component video inputs as well for future dvd, then I think your choices come down to the Panasonic D series, the JVC D series and the Toshiba A series. Another factor is front inputs and connecting of a camcorder or video game. I think the Panasonics and JVC D series have one...last year's Toshiba A series did not but I believe the new models (32A41) do...although I may be wrong about that.
    cheers,
    --tom