Helping a friend narrow down speaker choices

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffTodd, Jan 13, 2003.

1. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine asked for my advice on home theater equipement. I suggested that he come over and check out the HK 320 / JBL S26 / DIY SVS sub combination that I have put together. He was really impressed by all of the equipment and ordered the HK 320 for himself since it met all of his requirements for inputs and whatnot.

Now he is looking for speakers. I suggested taking along music and auditioning many different brands. His goals is to find a tower speaker for around 700 bux (pair). I of course suggested the JBL S tower series. He found some Fluance online for a pretty good price. I researched Fluance here and didn't necessarily find anything negative about them.

So I am thinking that I am doing a pretty good job of helping him out....well today he comes to me and says that he found a good deal at Fry's for some Bose 701's.

My question is this, do the tower speakers that Bose manufactures deserve as much critisism as the cube speakers get? My friend is hooked on the direct-reflecting marketing hoorah.

Is there any truth to the direct-reflecting marketing / Targeting tweeeter stuff? Help me out here....I want to give him good accurate advice. And I don't want to blow 600 bux on a pair of speakers if they truly are not worth it.

Thanks.

2. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

The general thought here seems to be that Bose does not provide a great performance/price ratio- that for the price of a Bose speaker, you can get a lot more speaker (better imaging, better balance, richer sound, more depth, etc) than the Bose will provide. I don't know the 701's but I think this line of thinking holds true for all Bose speakers in general.

3. JeffTodd

Jose,
    I definitely know what you are talking about regarding the Bose reputation. I was hesitant about posting a Bose related thread because I didn't want to start a flame thread.

The main reason I was posting was to get some info on the technology that Bose boasts in their speakers. I wanted to know if there was any truth to the direct/reflecting business or if that was all some overmarketed idea. Maybe some engineer types can chime in to lend some credibility to the Bose marketing machine.

Thanks.

4. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Just ask him if the cost for all that advertising is added to the cost of the product? Also, ask why speaker makers aren't all using this "technology" if it is such a great break thru? It has been around a number of years now. If that fails. Then ask him to find ANY performance stats from Bose.

5. JeffTodd

Good call Chris.

If my friend in fact ends up getting the Bose towers then I will be anxious to take my JBL S26s over and do an A/B comparison so I can see how these two differ in a real world setup.

Thanks for the replies.