What's new

Helping a friend buy a TV - Max budget $3,000. (1 Viewer)

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
Friend of mine is looking for a TV... here are the candidates:

Sony 36XBR (4:3)
Sony 40XBR (4:3)
Panasonic 40" LCD projection (16:9)
Sony 51" 16x9 projection (51HW I beleive)

His viewing distance is 9 feet. He is worried about the viewing angle if he goes with the 51" Sony.

With the Sony 36 and 40, he does not get a 16:9 screen.

He seems to like the Panny 40" LCD and it seems to be a great compromize but its also the most expensive of the bunch. Is the LCD technology there yet? Is he rolling the dice with regards to dead pixels?

He does not want a 16:9 Toshiba because of the upscaling. He is also worried of the quality of the 51" projection on standard cable TV viewing.

Are we missing a set that should be considered? If he goes projection, he wants 16:9. What should he get? What would you get?

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Mitsubishi has a new for 2003 model that is 48" with a built-in HDTV tuner and firewire connections. Not in stores yet, but may be worth the wait.

Scott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Out of the choices, I must admit the most intriguing is the 40" LCD Panasonic. I looked into this set at BestBuy for a friend and it is hands down the brightest and cleanest RPTV I have seen yet. Viewing angle is 3x a 'normal' RPTV and some very nice picture modes, as well as weighing 80 lbs and being 18" deep!

But... if he wants to buy that set I would be sure to get a maximum extended warranty. That way, any dead pixels or burnt out bulbs (no electron gun, it uses a bright bulb) are covered for 3-5 years. Bulbs for those suckers can run $200 a piece, so 2 burnt bulbs and your warranty pays for itself.

The only other issue is that the LCD RPTVs are really just like LCD projectors with a screen and mirror integrated into a box. I don't know what experiences people have had with digital projectors, but our ones at work are always down for one reason or another. Annoying at work, would be absolutely painful if it is your main TV at home. So maybe look up a few early reviews as they come out?

Out of the others mentioned, the Sony 40 XBR sounds like a great set for your friend. At 9 feet away, anything bigger than 46" is going to seem pretty darn big and might take over the room. These TVs *always* look twice as big in your living room than they do in the store. Also, 16:9 ratio isn't all it's cracked up to be -- most new movies come in 2.35:1 ratio, which still adds black bars to a 16:9 TV. Who cares if the bars are a little bigger for a 4:3? Your regular TV/VCR feed will also not have that 'stretched' look most 16:9 TVs are plagued with. 16:9 is sweet (I have a Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 HDTV myself), but I would rather buy a larger 4:3 for *less* money anyday (personal preference.)

Anyway, best of luck. Hope this ramble was even a little helpful.

James Stierman

Stunt Coordinator
I would rcommend the new 48 mitz platinum(ws-48511) 48 inch widescreen, built in HD and digital cable tuner. I got word today that we will be selling it for 2999.99.

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
hmmm.. Thanks for the Mits suggestion... Did'nt realize they had a plat. series under 50 inch. Looks pretty sweet.

Where are you seeing the 2999 price? Anyplace online? Any traditional B&M places sell it?

James Stierman

Stunt Coordinator
I work at the great indoors in novi michigan. we don't have any stores in NY. We delievery everywhere becasue we use sears wharehouses so you might be able to get it at sears as well. We aren't slated to get the plantuim series untill october though. But the prices will be 2999.99 for the 48, 3499.99 for the 55 and 3999.99 for the 65.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks