What's new

Helping a buddy (1 Viewer)

Todd Durham

Agent
I am trying to get my buddy into home theater and he has set a pretty low budget. He wants to keep things around $600-800 if at all possible. Keeping in mind that he has 3 kids and a non-working wife I feel his pain. I have been looking around online a bit over the last day and think he could live with the following:Denon 1801 from 6ave.com($349), JBL NSP1 package from buy.com($249), and then a Sony SA-WM40 from etronics.com ($149).
Anyone see any problems or can I do better for that amount of money? He brought up the dreaded "B" word and a display he had seen at one of our local stores so I quickly deflected him. Any help??

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
What's he going to use as a source? (DVD player = $150, Used LD = $50)

Otherwise it sounds good!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I setup a friend/client with a Marantz SR5200, NSP-1 and the SA-WM40, and I thought it sounded quite good for the price paid, and is certainly a good starter setup that is better than most or all HTiBs in the same price range. He was very happy with it. However, unless he already has a DVD player, he is going to go over budget.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
also, check out the htd level two or three and a used 1802 or outlaw 1050. Really hard combo to beat for less than $1k.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hmmmm..
Pioneer VSX-D811S receiver w/ 6.1 surround and a bunch of other goodies for $294 plus shipping (search mysimon.com for best prices). There's also a guy on Ebay selling these for around $335 shipped I think it was.
This Cerwin Vega 6 piece speaker set-up at Best Buy for $349 (maybe even cheaper online)
http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...=23&e=11070582
Then pretty much any name brand DVD can be had for around $150 or less in some cases.
Just a little more than $800, but I bet he'd be happy with the set-up.
Just my suggestions....
Alfer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks