Helping a buddy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Durham, May 28, 2002.

1. Todd Durham

Todd Durham Agent

I am trying to get my buddy into home theater and he has set a pretty low budget. He wants to keep things around $600-800 if at all possible. Keeping in mind that he has 3 kids and a non-working wife I feel his pain. I have been looking around online a bit over the last day and think he could live with the following[​IMG]enon 1801 from 6ave.com($349), JBL NSP1 package from buy.com($249), and then a Sony SA-WM40 from etronics.com ($149).
    Anyone see any problems or can I do better for that amount of money? He brought up the dreaded "B" word and a display he had seen at one of our local stores so I quickly deflected him. Any help??

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

What's he going to use as a source? (DVD player = $150, Used LD = $50)

Otherwise it sounds good!

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I setup a friend/client with a Marantz SR5200, NSP-1 and the SA-WM40, and I thought it sounded quite good for the price paid, and is certainly a good starter setup that is better than most or all HTiBs in the same price range. He was very happy with it. However, unless he already has a DVD player, he is going to go over budget.

4. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

also, check out the htd level two or three and a used 1802 or outlaw 1050. Really hard combo to beat for less than $1k.

5. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    Hmmmm..
    Pioneer VSX-D811S receiver w/ 6.1 surround and a bunch of other goodies for $294 plus shipping (search mysimon.com for best prices). There's also a guy on Ebay selling these for around $335 shipped I think it was.
    This Cerwin Vega 6 piece speaker set-up at Best Buy for $349 (maybe even cheaper online)
    http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...=23&e=11070582
    Then pretty much any name brand DVD can be had for around $150 or less in some cases.
    Just a little more than $800, but I bet he'd be happy with the set-up.
    Just my suggestions....
    Alfer