Help!!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gregory_S, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Gregory_S

Gregory_S Extra

OK, I'm not totally helpless when it comes to hooking up my home theater BUT...I just purchased a Pioneer VSX-1015TX receiver and am hooking up my Sony KP-46WT520 and my Panasonic DVD-F87S and I am a little confused.
    1)Why would I need to send the video through the receiver and not just straight in to the TV? Is that so the remote can control all my devices?
    2)If hooking up my VCR (RCA cables), is there any purpose to running that through the receiver or should that just go straight to the TV?
    3)I will use component video cables and coaxial for the audio.
    4)This is going to cost cubic dollars as my receiver is about 20' from the TV/DVD.

Any help would be more than appreciated!

2. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

You don't need to hook your DVD player and VCR up to your receiver if you don't want to. Some of the reasons people do are:

1. If you have more connections on the receiver than on your television ie your receiver can handle three component connections but your television only handles two connections.

2. Cut down on running cables. You run one cable from receiver to television instead of two or three.

3. Some receivers allow you to use the component output for S-video and composite connections.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yup. That’s it. Then you only need one video feed from the receiver to the TV, not separate ones from each component. In your situation, with the TV so far away, that’s definitely the way to fly. Not only that, you get “one button” selectivity from your remote: I.e., one button gets you both picture and sound. With separate video cables for all components to the TV, you have to also change the TV’s input as well as the receiver’s.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Gregory_S

Gregory_S Extra

So if I want "one touch" control, my best options would be:
    DVD-REC using coax for audio and component for video.
    REC-TV using coax for audio and component for video.

Now for the VCR..is this right?..
    VCR-REC using just the yellow video. (or do I need red/white too)
    REC-TV do I need to hook up anything more or will the coax and component (used above) take the signal back for audio and video?

Sorry about all the qusetions, but I can't see anything in the manuals.

Greg [​IMG]

5. toddLE

toddLE Auditioning

Some receivers have on screen menus.
    Todd