Help !

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kirk_T, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Kirk_T

Kirk_T Agent

Ok, Here's my problem and I'm hoping someone can help.

I am having troubles recording a VHS Tape from TV. I know this sounds simple and I'm hoping the answer will be too.

My system uses a 6.1 Pioneer receiver with S-Video and Digital Audio hookups. The Cable comes from Digital Service through the local Cable company. I have a DVD Player, S-VHS VCR, and the Cable Box all running into the Receiver and using the TV as a monitor.

How can I hook this system up to be able to Record a Cable TV show to my VCR????

Thank You in advance,

Kirk

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

The VCR has to be hooked up either before the cable box or right after it using the coaxial input/outputs. The VCR has to get a direct feed either from the coax coming out of the wall or from coaxial output from the cable box. It isn't going to happen if you are running the VCR through the receiver only. Once this is accomplished, you can run the S-video output from the VCR or cable box to the S-Video input on your receiver.[​IMG]

3. Kirk_T

Kirk_T Agent

Chuck,

Ok, I'm begining to get it now. Obviously I need to run the coax. cable line INTO the VCR. Should this be done before or after the signal goes to the cable box? I believe the VCR has something where it automatically 'memorizes' channels. What are the advantages/disadvantages to either? Could i take the signal into the cable box first...then use the coax to the VCR. And then use S-Video into the Receiver from both the VCR and Cable Box?? Continuing to utilize the TV as a monitor?? My concern would be losing the digital audio signal.

I'm sure i sound like an idiot but everything is starting to make sense. (i think)

Thanks, Kirk

4. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

Kirk,

It looks like you've asked this question in the Basics Area as well, where I posted an answer.

Why are you concerned about losing the digital signal? When you're watching TV, you will want to use the TV/SAT input, not the VCR input. Only use the VCR input when you're playing back a tape. In VCR mode, you'll only get stereo sound (plus Pro Logic or whatever DSP mode you want to use). You won't be able to get digital audio from something you record to your VCR, if that's what you're getting at; that's what TiVo and DVD-recorders are for.

--Nathan