Help (1 Viewer)

andy mcguire

Auditioning
> Hi,
> I wonder if you can help, if not, maybe you could point me in the
> right
> direction. 4 years ago, I bought, from Scottish Power, a Panasonic
> DVD
> Stereo System SC-PM08. It has been excellent for the past 4 years.
> Just
> recently it has started playing up. The surround sound no longer
> works
> while watching TV. It still works when I watch a DVD movie or listen to a music CD though.
> Everything
> is wired up correctly. In the past week or so, it will not play any
> DVD
> disc.
I took out one of those "brilliant" policies when I bought
> it. If,
> after 5 years & no claims against the policy, you receive your
> money back.
> Too good to be true. You bet! The insurance company has now went
> into
> bankruptcy. All claims are off. Can you help? Is there some place I
> can
> send it? How much would I expect to pay? Is it worth my while?
> Any help would be much appreciated,
> Thanks again
> Andy
Glasgow, Scotland, UK

John S

Senior HTF Member
How do you feed your TV 2 channel analog audio into it?

I'd suspect that is where your problem lies. Can you just try a different input on it? Like does it have a TV input and an Aux input? How do you know for sure, whatever is feeding the unit the analog signal is not the culprit?

It happens, but it would be at least somewhat rare just for the input to go out on the unit, but it does happen.

Often times, whatever the source is for TV audio, will somehow get it's analog output turned off, this would cause the same symptom your experiencing as well.

I assume somehow you have checked your analog audio cables, from your TV source? Also would be at least a little rare that both channels could be bad, but once again stranger things have happend.

On the unit, if it is really that the input went out,probably time to go find a new surround sound system. Good time to upgrade as well.

The best place to try to repair something like this, would be your local talented electronics repair person. Analog input problems are usually pretty darn easy to fix by any sort of qualified electronics repair type person.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Andy

I had one of these .. it was my first HTiB! Can't help you though, it got phased out before it could go broke.. although your loss of surround from TV sounds like the Pro Logic decoder chip has given up. or you could be getting a mono signal on the TV

1. doesnt decode DTS - it would pass DTS signals, though so i had to get an external reciever that did

2. anaemic bass - its one of the early HTiBs and didn't come with a subwoofer. even though the front L/R speakers are biwired I got a subwoofer anyway.

3. there are newer surround formats which create better surround effects from stereo sources - Dolby ProLogic II is great!

I'm not saying you have to upgrade, but these days support for discontinued hardware is bound to be expensive

andy mcguire

Auditioning
Guys,
Thanks for the help. I think, in my heart, I knew it was maybe time to upgrade. just thought I would put out a few feelers, Just in case it could be repaired. I will take it down to my local electronics wizard & see if he can make any sense of it. I will, ofcourse , also give him your replies.
Thanks againn
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks