Help...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rob Grim, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Rob Grim

Rob Grim Stunt Coordinator

Okay fello forum buddies. I took the plunge Saturday. This has been a debate for a couple of weeks but I finally made a decision. Well here goes, I pre-ordered my Denon 3805 Saturday from Tweeters. I'll have 30 days to make my decesion to keep it or not but the salesman told me chances are I will not be returning it. The new receiver should be in by March 19th.

Here are a couple of other questions though. When I purchased the 3805 the salesman offered the extended 5 year warranty which I did not purchase. Is this something I should go back and get beings the unit is new, meaning, do you think I should have purchased this plan just in case they're some bugs with the unit. I beleive he said the cost was $80.

Second question, I was going to purchase the Denon 2900 Saturday also but after comparing the 2900 and the 2200, they damn near seem the same. Went to Crutchfield.com and did a side by side comparision the other then a few numbers and the size of the unit, they are the same other than the $300 price difference. Honestly, can someone tell me if it's worth the additional $300 to buy the 2900. Thanks in advance.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

* So-called "extended" warranties are good -- for lining the dealer's pocket. Skip it, because A/V receivers are, on whole, very reliable (if run conservatively); Denon is among the finest such manufacturers.

* If you see no discernable difference in picture quality between the two DVD-player models, then opt for the less-expensive 2200. DVD players manufactured by the major OEMs are remarkably similar in terms of PQ, across their entire lines. The very top-of-the-line models are only ever-so-slightly superior in terms of PQ (which puts the kibosh on such exercises in high-end silliness from the likes of Ayers Acoustics, Linn, EAD, and other exhorbitantly priced machines based on a mass-market OEM's chassis; there is no -- I repeat -- no rational justification for purchasing such machines; a $1,200 Sony 999, for example, will provide a picture that's as good as, say, the Krell Standard). In the case of the two Denons, it all comes down to special features: Are they worth the price difference to you? Probably not.

3. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I bought the extended warranty for my denon 3803 and the only time I ever had service on it was for a video up conversion bug (that was covered by denon and the the extended) However I got it at ultimate electronics and they broke it down to 3 payments of 20 bucks. So I thought to myself. Its not every day I spend 1000+ on a reciever and to have the piece of mind that I can not put any money into it for awhile I did it. It has since ran out and again I renewed it. I do realize I am PROBABLY throwing money away. But on the other hand MAYBE im not. Who really knows if I keep this reciever for 7 or 8 years (doubtful) if it will still work. But in my opinion to spend 1000+ and you cant justify spending another 80 espically if they break that 80 up over a couple of months you probably cant afford for that reciever to break and purchase another one or pay to have it fixed. Its the you can pay me now or pay me later type of thinking.