! ! Help ! !

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kyle Tippett, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Kyle Tippett

Kyle Tippett Stunt Coordinator

Help!
    i just bought my tv and speaker stands for my new projection.. yet to buy.. the stand is 22" tall.. PLATEAU XT.. the tv is going to be a HITACHI 46F500... the set is 40" tall.. 15 (+/-3) is taken up by the speaker section..

does anyone know if:
    a. the monitor section is removable from the base

b. the top shelf and top 6 poles are removable from the Plateau XT

c. sitting with eyes at around 32 inches, with a 10 foot throw, and the screen top at 60" tall.. will the picture on the RP be distorted? i'd say its about a 20-25* angle

i may still be able to cancel the order before it ships.. but from what i looked at, there weren't really any low level stanthat can hold all my components.. and the factory stand looks like the shelves are only wide enough for 1 thing each.

Help me please... any advice is useful.

p.s. sorry for so many threads today.. i think this is my third

2. Kyle Tippett

haha... i'm an idiot... a very relieved idiot, that is.

i just checked the sears site to find the height of the factory stand... it is actually just 1/2 inch TALLER than the one i ordered... so i guess i will acually be viewing it at what HITACHI believes is the correct angle.

Yippie!

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi Kyle

You should have a line of sight that is parrallel to the floor for ideal viewing.

Best wishes!!

Gregg

4. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    unless, of course, your floor is sloped, then you should have a zero degree deviance for the best of viewing.

Regards

:b

5. Kyle Tippett

thanks gregg.. but unless the monitor section can be removed from the base... or i use no stand(theen I am looking slightly down at it) that will not really be possible... i have been having serious trouble finding a short tv stand that can hold all the components.. and i cant really afford to replace all of the 1 & 2 meter cables i allready bought.

maybe over time...

p.s. that was an impressive job with the red faced issue in that other thread.

6. Kyle Tippett

do you think if i built something to lift the rear of the tv off of the stand slightly to line up with me eyes, it would work? would it affect the set at all... or is there (on RPTVs) still too much weight in the front that i should not even attempt it... i would only move it about 15*and it would then of course be anchored to the stand

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Kyle,

Don't bother tilting the set. As long as your eyeline is even with the middle half (vertically) of the set's screen you will be fine. Since the stand you ordered is only half an inch taller than the Hitachi stand I see no reason to stress over this issue.

8. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Kyle, that is a great idea and many people do this.

Be careful to make sure the TV isnt too toppy / top heavy. Some clients (esp in CA) chain the the back of the set to the rear wall so it can fall if shaken (or quaked).

Steve, is correct in stating your line of sight should be at the middle of the screen. This however is highly dependant on couch height (vs bean bag chairs) or whatever.

Gregg

9. Kyle Tippett

my sitting eyeline will be just about at, or below the bottom of the screen... i am using dial up, so i cant open the pdf that hitachi has on it's site of the dimensions.. but from looking at photos, and knowing that the width is i think 44" and height is 40", the screen should start at about 16"+/-1 inches from the bottom.. when i measured my ears-to-floor dor my speaker stands, i got 35"...

shouldn't the throw make a differene though?

plus i ordered last night, canceled this morning, and re-initiated it this afternoon, so if i cancle it a gain im sure they'll just ship it to me out of spite.

10. Kyle Tippett

the only reason i am thinking it light separate in two is because i remember a thread a few months ago about a guy who bought a set too large to get into his appartment, and he was going to have it hoisted through the window, or maybe sent on a plank from the building next door... all this crazy sh.t, anyway, i remember somone posting that thier projection could be split in half.. so i didnt know if that was a fluke model, common thing, or a company feature.

should i just give up on all of this and get a 34" xbr? or should i find a way... b/c i know i wont be happy with a smaller set now, and i dont know if there is a shorter 43-46" that is as good of a set and has a DVI on it (with in the price range.. the 43" samsung dlp is a lil too much, well not that much more, but i dont like to wait... im allready set to wait a few mroe weeks as is)

11. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Kyle
    Try CC and see if they have one for you there.
    Eric